Rainmaker

How good is Rainmaker on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Rainmaker' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'rainmaker'

[!--QuoteBegin-gandalf+May 16 2004, 06:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gandalf @ May 16 2004, 06:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] One of the weaker songs from DoD album IMO.
To catchy and I don't like the instant repeating of the lyrics. Reminds me of Virtual XI. [/quote]
I like the lyrics on Rainmaker. The slight change in how they're said shows a bit of evolution on the person who we see the song through. Consider:

And I know of the pain, that you feel the same as me
And I dream of the rain as it falls upon the leaves
And the cracks in our lives like the cracks upon the ground
They are sealed and are now washed away

That's the first prechorus. Now look at the second:

And the cracks in the ground like the cracks are in our lives
They are sealed and now far away

As you can see, the third and fourth lines are changed. Rainmaker is a metaphor on life. The first chorus is where the viewpoint person is at his worst. He's focussing on the problems with him ("cracks in our lives" before "cracks upon the ground"). It's reversed with the second one, suggesting the person is breaking out of his depression. Sure, it's subtle, but since when has Iron Maiden felt the need to cater to people who can't pick up on small things?

Oh, since when can a song be "too catchy"?

And what the heck is wrong with Virtual XI?

'rainmaker'

[!--QuoteBegin-Azazel+Jun 20 2004, 05:25 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Azazel @ Jun 20 2004, 05:25 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] This is one of Iron Maiden's biggest hits!! [/quote]
well, um, how do I put this - no.
A great song, but one of their biggest hits it ain't. Bring your daughter... now there's a hit! (in terms of sales, should there be any confusion)

'rainmaker'

It's too bad, though. This is a great song, and worthy of radio/MTV playtime. A lot of people would be introduced to real music...

'rainmaker'

To me 'Rainmaker' is supposed to be the best single Maiden ever released and I'm sort of shocked it didn't hit the charts!I mean this song is born to be a hit, isn't it?

Although being played by a Metal band I daresay it would likely to have been liked by other people not exactly being into Metal.

This song is so much better than almost anything else in the damn charts and it really should have deserved to explode therein!Again, thank you Dave for one of Maiden's best songs ever!

'rainmaker'

[img src=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gorbeast/Rainmaker.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

'rainmaker'

i give it 4.5/5, i really like this song and the meaning behind it. it is repetitive, but i think that helps get the point across as it is asking questions and looking for answers which requires repitition. (look at the Iron Maiden Commentary if you do not know what this song is about it has some good info on it.)

Re: 'Rainmaker'

Well, I've been getting into Iron Maiden the way a person tiptoes into cold water at the beach. I'd say I'm up to my knees now and have just discovered Rainmaker. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to make a comment about this song. I love it sooo much. It makes me feel quite emotional.

You tell me we can start the rain
You tell me that we all can change
You tell me we can find something to wash the tears away

I copied these lyrics from a site somewhere and have just realised that it reads "start the rain." I've been listening to this in the car, driving along singing "stop the rain," at the top of my voice, which changes the meaning a little. Now I get it, the rain washes the tears and the pain away and heals the cracks in the ground.

This sounds like a song about friendship. Two people have found each other, tired and ragged, wandering through a wilderness, searching for something to relieve their suffering; like travellers in a desert, gasping for water. One of them says, "there is a way out" and encourages the other to keep going. Yes there is a way to end the suffering.

But there is skepticism. There are so many lines that begin with the words "you tell me." And there is the line "I dream" of the rain. This person is being told that rain will make it better and he dreams that it will, but I'm not sure he actually has the rain. And maybe that is why the song is so emotional. This is a person who wants to escape, move away from, leave some sort of pain and who dreams of relief and this is something alot of people can relate to. Wanting escape, dreaming of it and not being sure how to obtain the relief - yearning. I don't know if the lines "And the cracks, in our lives, like a cracks upon the ground. They are sealed, and are now, washed away," actually happen, or whether they are part of the dream.

The character is told that we all can change. I like the positivity of that. We all can change for the better and a friend who can encourage you that things will work out in the end is a valuable thing. The song made me feel like I wanted someone or something like that. It's hard to put into words how it makes me feel.

Re: 'rainmaker'

LooseCannon said:
[!--QuoteBegin-gandalf+May 16 2004, 06:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gandalf @ May 16 2004, 06:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] One of the weaker songs from DoD album IMO.
To catchy and I don't like the instant repeating of the lyrics. Reminds me of Virtual XI.
I like the lyrics on Rainmaker.  The slight change in how they're said shows a bit of evolution on the person who we see the song through.  Consider:

And the cracks in our lives like the cracks upon the ground
They are sealed and are now washed away

That's the first prechorus.  Now look at the second: A meaningful song, Love Prance

And the cracks in the ground like the cracks are in our lives
They are sealed and now far away

As you can see, the third and fourth lines are changed.  Rainmaker is a metaphor on life.  The first chorus is where the viewpoint person is at his worst.  He's focussing on the problems with him ("cracks in our lives" before "cracks upon the ground").  It's reversed with the second one, suggesting the person is breaking out of his depression.  Sure, it's subtle, but since when has Iron Maiden felt the need to cater to people who can't pick up on small things?

Oh, since when can a song be "too catchy"?

And what the heck is wrong with Virtual XI?
:shred:

Re: 'Rainmaker'

I think this song is good (7/10 good, if you ask me) but then, the whole "You tell me..." part kinda sounds like it doesn't "take off". The part in which Bruce sings about the pain and the rain falling upon the leaves is great and very emotional, but then it kinda deflates into the segment I complained about. Still, I enjoy it, and the lyrics are also very good.

Daily Song: Rainmaker

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Rainmaker

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

9/10. A good, hard, rocking song, but not quite to the level I consider a handful of good, hard rocking songs (Aces High, Brave New World). One of the highlights of this album, for sure, and I wish they'd played it live more since.

Re: Daily Song: Rainmaker

Yes, a great hard rocking song with beautiful lyrics. The harmony after the solo is a particular highlight. It is a bit repetitive, not annoying, just a fact. 8

Rainmaker, only 2 other songs from this album I find better than this one. Every guitar player co-wrote one really good track and this is Dave's. There are some really strong melodies going on here, with a bit of a melancholic feel, especially in the chorus. Beautiful solo and the harmony afterwards grabs me everytime I hear it.

A Great song! Would've been great to hear it last year. I love that opening riff and the solo is one of my favorites. 8/10

10/10. 'Rainmaker' is the best single they've ever released. Together with 'Dance Of Death' it's the highlight of the album. It's too bad the band ceased playing that track live. What a stunning chorus and a marvelous guitar solo.

This song passed me by for so long - until I watched the video. The video actually sold the song to me.

Good song and pretty typical of a Murray type rocker. 8/10.

There was a time when I absolutely loved this song and listened to it everytime. I still love it but I don't tend to listen to it as other Maiden songs I love

Still gets an 8 of 10 from me. Vintage Murray!

Like Albie, I first really paid attention to the song when I saw that excellent video. It's been with me ever since, and it has built my spirit in tough times. Great riff, beautiful solo and beautiful lyrics. An overlooked gem. 9/10.

I wish they would keep playing this as well.  Fantastic song and the lyrics are really touching.  10.

Back