Queensryche & Geoff Tate

The more time passes, the more I tend to appreciate Geoff Tate more than Queensrÿche (which was not the case at all in 2012, I admit). That's also probably because Todd LaTorre gets on my nerves and because QR hasn't released anything really worthy of their reputation since the 2013 self-titled album. ;)
Interesting- are you referring to live performances or studio releases from GT? I must say that I didn't enjoy anything from what I heard of the 'Operation Mindcrime' band. I'd quite like to see him live next year, though.

On the other hand, whilst I do like the post 2013 version of Queensryche, I have to admit that it doesn't really sound much like the band in its heyday. Professionally made, slick sounding and slightly generic modern metal.

Interesting- are you referring to live performances or studio releases from GT? I must say that I didn't enjoy anything from what I heard of the 'Operation Mindcrime' band. I'd quite like to see him live next year, though.

On the other hand, whilst I do like the post 2013 version of Queensryche, I have to admit that it doesn't really sound much like the band in its heyday. Professionally made, slick sounding and slightly generic modern metal.
I particularly agree with your last sentence.
As for both parties' studio output, I haven't found much that is memorable, to me any way. That is the problem with playing it safe and applying a formula in the digital age: our (my) attention span has shrunk so much due to computers that it has become more difficult to hit the nail on the head (Promised Land inside artwork, anyone? ;) ), especially when they aim (or when their labels make them aim) at sounding "professional" and "generic", as you say.

I think that whilst it was a bit of a 'quick win' for the band to claim a return to their metal roots in 2013 after all of the nonsense of the past decade, the sound that they've arrived at is not really comparable to any previous era of the band's output. Of course, the albums are still enjoyable to many fans, and seem to have won them back a little bit of respect.

This is the best I've heard Tate sound like since 2007. Check out Best I Can, London, Hand on Heart, Anybody listening and Screaming in Digital. Montclair was great, but this one has the edge still. At this point I'd rather see Tate than Latorre QR.

Last edited:
This... until Todd LaTorre started speaking as if he were the leader of the band and Rockenfield's QR 2020 experience. ;)
Yeah, as I said earlier in the thread, I wasn't aware that there had been another fall out. Certainly not good for credibility.

I see that GT is playing at a fairly tiny venue near me next year, so will try to attend. Playing two classic albums back to back every night is certainly no mean feat.

I didn´t want to stain the 1988 album poll thread so I´ll reply here, after @Black Bart ´s post.
Yes, I absolutely love The Warning! Together with O:M, Empire and Rage For Order the best of the Tate years. I´d rank all 3 LaTorre albums higher than Promised Land until Dedicated To Chaos and Tate´s pale solo stuff.

Last edited:
I didn´t want to stain the 1988 album poll thread so I´ll reply here, after @Black Bart ´s post.
Yes, I absolutely love The Warning! Together with O:M, Empire and Rage For Order the best of the Tate years. I´d rank all 3 LaTorre albums higher than Promised Land until Dedicated To Chaos and Tate´s pale solo stuff.
Re: fans of The Warning liking Toddsrÿche, I’m not a big fan of The Warning, but I sure do like me some Condition Hüman and especially The Verdict. The latter album is right up there with the band’s run from O:M through Promised Land, IMO.

Last edited:

Holy shit. Queen of the Reich for the first time in what, around 20 years - And it sounds really good. No, it sounds fucking awesome (in key Eb, just like the last couple of times).

Queen of the Reich for the first time in what, around 20 years - And it sounds really good. No, it sounds fucking awesome
Hmm, he sounds flat on large parts of it to me, though he does hit the big notes. Still, good for him for giving it a shot.

• Sad
Reactions: Yax
Hmm, he sounds flat on large parts of it to me, though he does hit the big notes. Still, good for him for giving it a shot.
I agree there are a few sour spots, but generally short spurts, at the end of a phrase or so. He is pretty much in key throughout (although when I saw him, Hand on Heart's verses were way off), and I think overall this is a great performance.

Best suggestion from the comments: Rockenfield should start his own version of the band and call it “Third Rÿche”.

Well, this seals it — Wilton and K.K. need to cover “Que Será, Será” and change the lyrics to “It is what it is, you know — whatever will be will be”.

Really, really good interview. Aside from the quality and extent of the stuff he's saying, Geoff seems a lot more easy going and complimentary than when he was in Queensryche. It's obvious from history (and I guess, known) he didn't really like being in the band for like half of his tenure, starting around Promised Land, but he seems to be in a good place. What I would give for one last album and tour with the original band....

Really, really good interview. Aside from the quality and extent of the stuff he's saying, Geoff seems a lot more easy going and complimentary than when he was in Queensryche. It's obvious from history (and I guess, known) he didn't really like being in the band for like half of his tenure, starting around Promised Land, but he seems to be in a good place. What I would give for one last album and tour with the original band....
A very good interview indeed. He really seems to have mellowed. And though not surprisingly, his referring to Chris as "captain at the wheel" is also good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Back