Proposed forum layout change

Separate subforums for each side project album would be too much, but one for each member would be OK, although Dave and Nicko probably don't need one. And one for ex-members. Although I think it's fine as it is.
The thing is, those commentary forums are used largely to aggregate per-song and per-album reviews, then sometimes to discuss individual songs or albums. If you create a single flat folder for Bruce's solo work, for example, you're going to wind up with literally 100+ threads to cover all of those songs and albums, and they'll be all jumbled up together.

At a minimum I'd think you'd want per-album subfolders for Bruce (6 albums, not counting Samson), Adrian (4 albums, not counting Urchin), and Blaze (9 albums, not counting Wolfsbane). If there are enough Di'anno fans around with interest (looking at you, @John Silver ), you'd probably need to break out his albums into folders too.
It's possible. Is there the same level of interest there?
If you look at the ranking threads for Bruce, Adrian, and Blaze you'll already see a lot of per-song reviews and discussion there. I think a lot of that would become seed material for the review posts in dedicated commentary forums. Plus, having better discoverability for reviews of the solo material would probably drive more people to listen and comment.

I think there should be a sub-forum dedicated to concerts and tours. Maybe even have a thread in there for every tour Maiden has done similar to how each album has its own thread.

In that aspect I think it would be interesting to look at the current three subforums: General chat, Community and Can I Play With Madness. IMO there's a lot of similar threads in all of them in particular between General chat and Can I Play with Madness....It's a bit of a mess currently.

Can also get confusing that the 100.000.000 thread is in community when it could be in either of the other two subforums..

Last edited:
In that aspect I think it would be interesting to look at the current three subforums: General chat, Community and Can I Play With Madness. IMO there's a lot of similar threads in all of them in particular between General chat and Can I Play with Madness....It's a bit of a mess currently.
We agree.

Those two sub forums could merge into just General Chat. Community forum could be closed down since 100k thread and birthday wishes could easyily go into the General Chat subforum and threads like these asking for help in regards to the forum could go into the Forum Help sub forum which already exists.

Was that before there was a "Madness" sub forum?

Also it's worth considering if the trade forum is needed? it's basically dead. A trade thread in Maiden chat is perhaps enough.

IMO there's no need to make subforums for every tour Maiden has done but just a general tour discussion subforum would do fine - then you'd have the general news/everything releated to Maiden in the Maiden Chat forum and everything to do with current tour stuff, tickets, photos, meet-ups, accomodation, setlists etc in the tour subforum and if people wanna talk old tours they can do it there too in specific threads.

Last edited:
The thing is, those commentary forums are used largely to aggregate per-song and per-album reviews, then sometimes to discuss individual songs or albums. If you create a single flat folder for Bruce's solo work, for example, you're going to wind up with literally 100+ threads to cover all of those songs and albums, and they'll be all jumbled up together.
Is there a need for a separate thread for each Bruce song though?

Those two sub forums could merge into just General Chat. Community forum could be closed down since 100k thread and birthday wishes could easyily go into the General Chat subforum and threads like these asking for help in regards to the forum could go into the Forum Help sub forum which already exists.
General Discussion is for serious non-Maiden stuff, Community for 100k and birthdays, Madness for madness. No need for changes there.

If we start making too many new subforums there'll be no end IMO. I'm supporting the Shit Setlists and Meaningless Polls subforums and suggesting a Live Albums / DVD's / Blurays subforum. Current tour can be discussed in Maiden chat, old ones in the subforums for their respective albums, or if it's a Cabaret tour in the main Commentary Discussion subforum. Other albums/bands from band members... I just think there's no need for anything other than Bruce's, because nothing else is as popular or as extensive. Maybe start with Bruce and few months down the line we can expand it with Adrian, etc.

There isn't any way we could create an entirely new forum that was still connected to MaidenFans to do this without having to pay a bunch of money, I suppose?

If we want to cut down on subforums general chat and madness could easily be merged. As for the community subforum, it doesn't make sense to have it open just for one thread and the occasional birthday wishes....instead we could introduce some of the other ideas people have for subforums without getting cluttered.

The point of the layout change is to de-clutter the forum, merging subforums would have the opposite effect. Especially merging General Discussion and Madness would be... madness.

I think we’re starting to drift into a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” situation. Making changes for arbitrary reasons. We have a problem with list spam in Maiden chat and cluttered polls. I don’t know if we need to sectionalize the forum to the point where there’s a sub forum for every broad Maiden topic. Tour talk fits in one thread. Having two threads for the tour turned out to be pointless when we tried that. There’s barely much discussion in the countdown threads for Blaze and Adrian, I really don’t see justification for giving them entire sub forums.

I also agree that merging sub forums is pretty arbitrary. There’s a pretty big distinction between what belongs in general chat and madness. I don’t think we should merge anything, but I do think tab archive, forum francophone, and trade forum could be deleted.

Is there a need for a separate thread for each Bruce song though?
Most Virtual XI song threads have 5 pages' worth of comments, and even most die-hards don't like that album much. I strongly suspect the Bruce song threads would do comparably well over time.

Remember, they're not the same as typical conversation threads where the value is in regular ongoing messages and responses -- the commentary threads are more like a review repository with some discussion around new reviews. People are more likely to pop into those threads to read the full history when they're curious about an album or a song, rather than constantly chatting it up and reading only the most recent posts. A lot of people also index their song reviews into an overall album review, and then up another level to all of the artist's work.

I definitely think that if there's an interest for this, we should use Bruce as a test to see if it all works. We could have a Bruce Dickinson board where we could discuss his stuff, and then sub-boards where we could do the ratings and stuff.

Back