Primal Rock Rebellion

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Let's give this project a topic of its own, in the sub forum where it belongs.

prr%20mcmurtrie%20-33569.jpg

Adrian: "It was great working at my own pace and in my own studio with no time constraints. I think during the making of this album I went around the world twice with Maiden, working on the project in between. In the process, it allowed for a bit more of an experimental approach."

Meanwhile, Mikee goes head to head with this renowned player as a full writing & production partner, adding new (sometimes surprising, often experimental) layers to the tracks, and ensuring that the music glistens with an inherent contemporary sheen.

Mikee: "Adrian inspired me in many ways. I learnt the importance and the power of choruses in songs. Adrian also gave me a lot more belief in myself melodically. I think we pulled each other out of our comfort zones, creating something fresh and exciting along the way. We co-produced the album together, and the whole recording process was very relaxed -- no deadlines, just honing the songs naturally as we recorded them, a new experience for both of us."

In addition to the Primal Rock Rebellion pair, there are backing vocals on three of the tracks (delivered by Tarin Kerry, discovered by Mikee while he was acting as producer for a band she was in), viola on the bulk of the songs (provided by Abi Fry of Bat For Lashes), plus original SikTh member Dan 'Loord' Foord on drums.

'Awoken Broken' was produced by Adrian and Mikee, and mixed by Simon Hanhart, whose previous credits include everyone from Tin Machine to Saxon. The album features 12 tracks top to tail, and it will be available on digi-pak CD, digital download and double coloured vinyl in gatefold sleeve. The track-listing runs as follows:-

1. No Friendly Neighbour 4.53
2. No Place Like Home 3.06
3. I See Lights 4.59
4. Bright As A Fire 6.21
5. Savage World 3.38
6. Tortured Tone 5.08
7. White Sheet Robes 5.16
8. As Tears Come Falling From The Sky 0.47
9. Awoken Broken 4.58
10. Search For Bliss 4.13
11. Snake Ladders 4.43
12. Mirror and the Moon 5.04

- - - - - - -

Released on Adrian's birthday: 27th February 2012
So who's going to buy the new album Awoken Broken?

*raises hand*

Singer needs a haircut. This is not Korn.

More on topic, I'll check it out if it's on Spotify, if not, I really doubt it.

First track didn't sell me or scare me off. I'll need to hear more.

Singer needs a haircut. This is not Korn.

More on topic, I'll check it out if it's on Spotify, if not, I really doubt it.

As a compensation, you can download it on their official site.

I am still curious.. what is Adrian exactly singing? Did someone figure that out?

I don't mind the track from the website, I'll spring for the disc when it comes out. I'm not a fan of the cookie monster vocal approach as a whole, however "I See Lights" is somewhat catchy.

i like this song alot more... aside from two or three brief moments with the singer squeeling that are a bit of a downer. Otherwise the solos brilliant and cant fault the singer through the rest of the song and as above... great chorus;)

Looking forward to live performances of this group for the simple reason: I do not dislike the sound of the singer, but I am not a fan of the quantity. Too many vocal layers recorded, too much going on. It's too full, quite over the top. He never can do that live, muhaha. :D

The guitar solos are alright, the vocals are a lot better than on the first song, but the song structure is really too simple and the chorus too repetitive (I know it can sound strange coming from a Maiden fan, but in this case, I dislike it).

OK, I've heard enough. I like both tracks and fully intend to purchase the album.

That is all! :)

I like "No Place Like Home" more than "I See Lights", but the vocal doesn't really light a fire under my ass on either. I'll reserve further judgement until I can hear the whole album a few times and digest it a bit...

Chorus is great and the solo ripping. Better song.
I'm not quite where Albie is, but a step closer.

This one is miles better than I See Lights, not that I See Lights was bad or something. But I'd rate I See Lights as "mediocre" but this one as "pretty good". Sounds more fresh and inspired. The solo is so nice, I'm not still used to the singing but I can't ignore the music. Looking forward to the other tracks.

Chorus is very catchy. I don't particularly like the solo. Should be an interesting record with more experimental stuff, keeping in mind that they released couple of more straight-forward songs.

I like No Place Like Home, I am not 100% sold on the vocals (they are okay, could be better), but I'll be buying the album for sure.

Back