praise / kick

Should we abolish the praise/kick system?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I don't know but like to vote in polls anyway

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Anomica said:
It's worse when some of the oldies hits you over the head for a minor error in your first or second posts (does the name Conor ring a bell?
I don't set out to victimise people.  There always is the "ignore" function if you feel picked upon.

Conor said:
I don't set out to victimise people.  There always is the "ignore" function if you feel picked upon.

Which is dumber than the praise/kick system. how can you know what is going on if you ignore people posting? even if it is just one person, if they participate in a thread you do the flow might not make sense to you.... I don't know, never tried it.... ignoring that is.

Onhell said:
Which is dumber than the praise/kick system. how can you know what is going on if you ignore people posting? even if it is just one person, if they participate in a thread you do the flow might not make sense to you.... I don't know, never tried it.... ignoring that is.
I would hazard a guess that few will have used the "ignore" function (my ignore list is empty), but if there is someone who is quite insulting and just will not let up, it can then come in handy.

Conor said:
I know, that's my point. If I hadn't read a lot in the forum before I started posting, I might have reacted differently and simply decided to leave. As it is, I didn't leave since I know that some comments aren't meant to be as harsh as they might sound. I have no problems with bantering and such, it's just that the acid comments doesn't always come to me fast enough to be useful ;)

Real World said:
Let the poll decide. Do we have anyone from Poland in?

I wasn't born there, but my family was. Do I get bonus points? :)

Not to sound silly, but am I the only person who didn't even know about the praise/kick program? I just assumed that rating thing had something to do with days of posting without being moderated or some such...  :innocent:

Once you have posted 50 posts, you get an option to praise/kick other users. So, the rating is what others have given you.

PolarisSLBM said:
Not to sound silly, but am I the only person who didn't even know about the praise/kick program? I just assumed that rating thing had something to do with days of posting without being moderated or some such...  :innocent:

This is what I said on pg. 1 of this thread. 

Genghis Khan said:
This is what I said on pg. 1 of this thread. 

See? I didn't even read the first page of the thread. That's probably why I don't know anything. I have a perception score of 2... ;)

Albie said:
In fairness, a lot of newbies may well have been scared away by the fact that they get a bad negative rating before they have posted 5 posts. At times, this can be quite justified owing to the complete waste of a first post - like this one, for example (this is where the "ignore" function would come in handy - if you don't like the poster, ignore them, that way you won't have to read there drivel). However, some newbies may well have been encouraged by their positive ratings and have felt more comfortable here and have as such made some worthwhile contributions.

If the system could allow for newbies to not be praised/kicked until they have posted 50 posts (it is only at that point they can praise/kick others, as we know) that may well give the newbies a chance. If this is not possible, it may best to get rid of it.

Yup.... ( by the way who did give me -1 :p)
If you only posted some of your opinions and get - rated it feels like your stupid in some way. :(
So its a very good idea Albie.

Anomica said:
Don't touch the praise system - it's actually quite fun to see your marks raise or fall just because one single post :D

(speaking from the point -9 right now)
yeah ! I got 16 negatives at once because I said that Virtual XI is a shit, dear lol
....plus, I've said the truth smile wink

I'd say we make some major changes in the kick/praise system. As it has been said before, a newbie should not be able to get kicked until he can kick or praise as well. It would also be quite good to have to leave an anonomous comment to the person you kick to see, so you explain why you kicked him. It is not necessary for the praise's though... But you could have that as well.

If this is not possible, then it's best we get rid of the system.

Yax said:
I'd say we make some major changes in the kick/praise system. As it has been said before, a newbie should not be able to get kicked until he can kick or praise as well. It would also be quite good to have to leave an anonomous comment to the person you kick to see, so you explain why you kicked him. It is not necessary for the praise's though... But you could have that as well.

If this is not possible, then it's best we get rid of the system.

100% agreed :)
As said by Yax if you get kicked you could atleast pm him/she and say why....

Moonchild93 said:
100% agreed :)
As said by Yax if you get kicked you could atleast pm him/she and say why....

I wasn't talking about pm, but something similar to the commentfunction when you report someone to the moderator. You know, so you can't kick someone if you don't explain why.

Yax said:
I wasn't talking about pm, but something similar to the commentfunction when you report someone to the moderator. You know, so you can't kick someone if you don't explain why.

Once again, I think we need to convince RW (am I right?).  I like this idea.  When newbies make an effort, I praise them.  It is always good to get fresh blood at the forums.

____no5 said:
yes, very strange! smile
Let's be rigorous. In order to test your hypothesis you need to establish an experimental design. Therefore, make another, cool, comment on Virtual XI. See if you get you credits back. Once it's OK, go back to the former (harsh) comments and look at your credits again. Then, if you're not banned, I think you can test your theory with X factor...
-_-

JackKnife said:
Let's be rigorous. In order to test your hypothesis you need to establish an experimental design. Therefore, make another, cool, comment on Virtual XI. See if you get you credits back. Once it's OK, go back to the former (harsh) comments and look at your credits again. Then, if you're not banned, I think you can test your theory with X factor...
-_-

thank you JackKnife, you are so kind.......I don't need to tell lies just to get my credits back, and anyway, let he who has understanding, to see who am I even with a negative rating, from my sayings, and posts. I have made some very powerfull posts and never had a praise for them.......Not even an answer (except one in "these colors don't run" -forum francophone), or a comment on them, this is what makes me a bit sad, not my user rating (that is now -10)

ps #1 my theory is allready tested
All the praises I had were for things of lesser importance, and 18 [most of them, if not all (!) by the newbie killer SMX] of my 19 kicks in one single night because of Virtual XI....

ps #2 .....don't worry, one day I will comment for X Factor also, he he he, I just have to find my spade

____no5 said:
I have made some very powerfull posts and never had a praise for them.......Not even an answer

I wouldn't worry about that. You are not the first and surely not the last who's had posts ignored. Also, just 'cause you think they are good, doesn't mean everybody else does. Just stick around long enough and peopl will get to know you, hell why do you think we keep Conor around? :D

Onhell said:
I wouldn't worry about that. You are not the first and surely not the last who's had posts ignored. Also, just 'cause you think they are good, doesn't mean everybody else does. Just stick around long enough and peopl will get to know you, hell why do you think we keep Conor around? :D

I'm not worring.....posting is like writing a book, you can read it and read it, but who knows when you will got its small illumination.....maybe after years, somewhere in time

..."We ran the race and the race was won
By running slowly"

I just remark than the negative reactions are immediate and sometimes without a lot of thinking, something like reflex....

-------
-just stick around long enough and peopl will get to know you
-I don't know where I'll be tommorow, I live today
-hell why do you think we keep Conor around ?
-I don't have idea !!! why ?  (very sympathetic figure the Irishman, and bit funny I think)

Back