praise / kick

Should we abolish the praise/kick system?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I don't know but like to vote in polls anyway

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

syl

Ancient Mariner
I don't quite understand this system of praise/kick. Which use are you making of it ? Are you using it seriously or just for fun ?

While I'm writing this I have 39 points and I wonder why as I haven't been posting a lot during the last months.
So people who gave me or took me off points, please tell me why.

For myself, if I see a good post while scrolling through a topic, I'll praise whoever posted it.  If I see a bad post, I'll kick whoever posted it (although I refrain from doing this unless it's REALLY bad).  I would guess that your 39 rating is a result either of people who know you praising you, or of people coming across you posts and praising you.  I don't put too much heed by it, but it's nice to know what other people think of you...especially if you make a complete ass of yourself (looking at yours truly here).  For myself, I have no idea how I got a 150+ rating....

Well, when the system was firt implemented I praised all the regular contributers just because of all the posts they made that couldn't be praised under the previous system. Now, pretty much like Raven, I see a post I like a lot, I'll praise it, if it is moronic, I'll kick it. How did you get -287 Duke? is this a joke like LC's 100 thousand plus posts? (that SHOULD be changed by the way)

I never, ever liked that system. I remember having a discussion about this with SMX the day it got installed. I prefer someone telling me when I made a bad post instead of just kicking me. Without wanting to sound big-headed, but if you have a high user rating, it's hard to tell if someone kicked or praised you anyway.

I sometimes praise people when I like them. I very rarely kick them, and if I do, I usually tell them anyway. So it's kind of pointless.

This system is very easy to abuse, and Duke (I believe knowingly and willingly) showed this. I have seen several people who have had only very few posts but a negative user rating, and I think this is unfair. I had some bad posts too when I was new here. A negative user rating can discourage a new member from posting, and I'm sure it already has.

Perun said:
I have seen several people who have had only very few posts but a negative user rating, and I think this is unfair.
I think this is unfair also. A solution may be that if you post count is greater than 50, the poster only then can be praised/kicked. After all, they can't reciprocate until they get to that score.

If the post is really that bad, then a mod can remove it anyway.

syl said:
While I'm writing this I have 39 points and I wonder why as I haven't been posting a lot during the last months.
Perhaps it's a mistake don't you think? People may have praised you by accident... :smartarse:

Seriously, confess being responsible for some praises you got. I recall praising for a set of very funny posts.  :)

Me ? Funny ? You're right, it was probably a mistake or you were just drunk.

I gave 1 point to Biff for his birthday and 1 to shadow for his version of the Legacy. And that was all. Maybe I could give more points but I would never kick people, even if they deserve it, even if they're asking for it.

Dukes, marquis, princes, kings. Here in France we cut their heads off but we don't kick them. Never !

Sounds like you need a new firey revolution. How long has Chirac got left?

Who's that Chirac ? Sounds like a dude from the Inca empire, maybe an emperor like Capac or Tupac...etc.

We don't cut emperors's heads off. We send them to far-away islands.

Perun said:
I never, ever liked that system. I remember having a discussion about this with SMX the day it got installed. I prefer someone telling me when I made a bad post instead of just kicking me.

wow ! I like to see people high rated not to really care about this...........and yes, s far as there is no explaination for the prasing /kicking, you can't take it too seriously ....

I don't like easy answers like syl's :

syl said:
Is there any value in being praised by someone who has -287 points ?

especially to very touching texts like:

IronDuke said:
I praised you just now because reality is such a fluid, and fake, concept

I've lost my only point though I tought that I had some very good posts the last days......

if I say it, it will have not so big importance
so long live perun

Tupac%20Etch.jpg

Tupac I, Emperor of France

Perun said:
I never, ever liked that system. I remember having a discussion about this with SMX the day it got installed. I prefer someone telling me when I made a bad post instead of just kicking me. Without wanting to sound big-headed, but if you have a high user rating, it's hard to tell if someone kicked or praised you anyway.

I sometimes praise people when I like them. I very rarely kick them, and if I do, I usually tell them anyway. So it's kind of pointless.

This system is very easy to abuse, and Duke (I believe knowingly and willingly) showed this. I have seen several people who have had only very few posts but a negative user rating, and I think this is unfair. I had some bad posts too when I was new here. A negative user rating can discourage a new member from posting, and I'm sure it already has.

I absolutely agree with you there.  To be perfectly honest I did not know about the "praise/kick" meaning until a newbie recently had asked it.  I have not used it until then and I was apprehensive to ask as I did not wish to be labeled a "noob" so I ignored it for most of my membership, which although short has involved frequent posting.  Now I make it clear when I praise people, and the last few posts are evidence of that.

EDIT: There is one problem though.  What if I want to praise someone for their post, yet have nothing of my own to add?  I can praise them, but I can't just write "I praised you" and leave it at that.  Food for thought.

syl said:
We don't cut emperors's heads off. We send them to far-away islands.

Wrong. You send them to nearby islands. The Brits send them to far-away islands :p

JackKnife said:
This explains why we don't want them in Europe.... :ninja:

So that's why the French and Germans have been hooking up large tugboats to Cornwall? They're going to tow the island of Britain off the European continental plate?

Back