praise / kick

Should we abolish the praise/kick system?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I don't know but like to vote in polls anyway

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
IronDuke said:
So that's why the French and Germans have been hooking up large tugboats to Cornwall? They're going to tow the island of Britain off the European continental plate?

Ya, didn't you hear? they're going to swap it with Greenland

Genghis Khan said:
What if I want to praise someone for their post, yet have nothing of my own to add?  I can praise them, but I can't just write "I praised you" and leave it at that.  Food for thought.

How about you just praise them then? If you have nothing to add, then thats what I think those little ol' buttons are for. If, on the contrary, you do have something to add, then just add it. I haveto agree with you and Perun though. I think it discourages new members from posting and that sometimes it is abused (there's this one newbie who has a user rating of -41 although I can't seem to find anything moronic that he wrote). Piece of Mind.

The praise system clearly shows how under valued I am :p

In all seriousness though I think I think it's a rubbish system and I'm all in favour of abolishing it. All in favour say "aye"!

I'm not in favour of abolishing it.

I think's it's just a bit of fun.

Conor said:
I'm not in favour of abolishing it.

I think's it's just a bit of fun.

Says the man with negative 666 points  :innocent:

I say dump it.  I see far too many new people getting kicked for their first posts-we were all new, at some point, and we if I had been kicked repeatedly and not told why, it would have affected my stay here.  I prefer getting a bollocking from Perun...much more informative! :D

If it goes, I say we keep Conor's and Duke's scores for prosperity. ;)

In fairness, a lot of newbies may well have been scared away by the fact that they get a bad negative rating before they have posted 5 posts. At times, this can be quite justified owing to the complete waste of a first post - like this one, for example (this is where the "ignore" function would come in handy - if you don't like the poster, ignore them, that way you won't have to read there drivel). However, some newbies may well have been encouraged by their positive ratings and have felt more comfortable here and have as such made some worthwhile contributions.

If the system could allow for newbies to not be praised/kicked until they have posted 50 posts (it is only at that point they can praise/kick others, as we know) that may well give the newbies a chance. If this is not possible, it may best to get rid of it.

Well, maybe just like a newbies can't praise/kick until he reaches 50 posts, maybe others should not be able to do the same to them. Thus people can't be praised/kicked until they reach 50. I agree that some newbies might be discouraged, however many did shape up, Black Ace is a good example. This is why I am against ignoring users as annoying as they might be, you never know if they'll come around and start contributing. Most of the time they end up leaving anyway, so  no need to kick them or ignore them.

Onhell said:
Well, maybe just like a newbies can't praise/kick until he reaches 50 posts, maybe others should not be able to do the same to them. Thus people can't be praised/kicked until they reach 50. I agree that some newbies might be discouraged, however many did shape up, Black Ace is a good example. This is why I am against ignoring users as annoying as they might be, you never know if they'll come around and start contributing. Most of the time they end up leaving anyway, so  no need to kick them or ignore them.
Tell me mates, what's the point of being newbies if they can't be kicked straigth in the arse?
... :innocent:

JackKnife said:
Tell me mates, what's the point of being newbies if they can't be kicked straigth in the arse?
... :innocent:

This feels like a "minor" (freshman) in school and getting your head flushed down the toilet.  Not that I would know personally, I was a ghost in Gr. 9 except for my close friends.

My first posts on this BB were deleted, though I don't believe I was ever in the negative.  (I remember posting on one of Piece of Mind songs about how great the songs sounded live during one of the tours -- I just hope Perun did not see that one and ended up ruining his day.  Sorry, just in case, mate.) :) I posted fairly decent posts, but in the wrong area  :D.  I did not get discouraged though because I really wanted to read what people thought of Iron Maiden and about other curiosities on this BB. 

I would not mind keeping the praise/kick system if it was possibly more detailed.  For example, getting kicked with more than one explanation of why the person got kicked (i.e. spamming, being an ass  :D or arse  :D, incomprehensible gibberish, bad 'isms' (racism, sexism, etc.) in post, etc.).  Also, displaying both kicks and praises would be worth it.  Now all we need to do is convince RW to put his thinking cap on and start cracking his knuckles.  ;)

Genghis Khan said:
This feels like a "minor" (freshman) in school and getting your head flushed down the toilet.  Not that I would know personally, I was a ghost in Gr. 9 except for my close friends.

Exactly what I was thinking, Genghis Khan. Although the U.S. freshman system isn't ideal either (I'm saying this as a senior?). Personally, I think its ok to poke a bit of fun at them and such, but it shouldn't be taken to the extreme (like getting stuffed in trash cans). What cracks me up though is when sophomores get all proud about being sophomores. Notice to all you sophomores out there: Nobody cares about you STILL. In all seriousness though, the freshman thing really goes against human dignity in some cases and prevents people from being respected for what they are as human beings, instead of ridiculed for their age. At my school we leave the freshman alone (relatively, I mean, there always have to be scapegoats) and because of this we sometimes (rarely) make the acquaintance of one or two who are really quite mature and agreeable. A certain age doesn't necessarily mean a certain maturity ( the same goes for all other stereotypes and generalizations).

Wait, what has this got to do with newbies? Oh well, going off on tangents can sometimes be enlightening... :halo:

As a fairly new poster, I'd say that the praise-kick system isn't a problem. It's worse when some of the oldies hits you over the head for a minor error in your first or second posts (does the name Conor ring a bell? :innocent:). Fortunately, I usually don't start posting until I've got a feel for the forum and I think I can throw crap with the best of you if necessary, but someone else might have left if s/he felt the oldies were less than hospitable.

Don't touch the praise system - it's actually quite fun to see your marks raise or fall just because one single post :D

Anomica said:
Fortunately, I usually don't start posting until I've got a feel for the forum....
A good attitude to have. If more people peruse this forum as a guest for a while, see what has been posted and how the overall community reacts/thinks etc. before joining - it would help them decide whether or not to join. Yes, this forum is all about Maiden, but not too much drivel is spoken - well, not always. I have heard the odd person register here and post elsewhere that they seem to be scared of posting for fear of the whole "nerdy" atmosphere (or whatever). :huh:

Oh, and I guess you have gotten used to Conor by now. I'll admit, I like to have some banter with him on occasions. ;)

Back