POLL - The Big Question. Will They Finally Play It?

Will the Future Past tour see the live debut of Alexander the Great?

• Yes

Votes: 71 88.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
In the 80's, Maiden has always played the epic song of each album minus this one, the reason? They never gave a trustworthy one, just some "lame" excuses but never got deep into that.

As of today, Maiden never ever had played a song that wasn't included in the album tour.

Maiden is not the kind of band that is going to play a song that hasn't been played in ages with a few exceptions (Charlotte for 2 dates in 2005, FOI for the LOTB, but let's face it, these weren't the toughest songs to rehearse/relearn. On the other hand AtG is probably among their most difficult ones).

Based on this, I would say no, they are not going to play it.

But as this next tour is promoted (so far), it's going to be very difficult for Maiden not to play this song because they know this is probably the most requested song on their entire catalogue ("We have had lots of requests from fans over the years for many tracks on it so we are now going to play them"). This tour is mainly focused on this album and Senjutsu, so how are they are going to avoid the obvious ? And what excuse would they come up with if they don't play it? And since Bruce has said in some interviews in the past that he'd like to play this song live and that he has teased it during greek shows in the past by singing the chorus a capella...

Based o this, I would say yes, they will play it, not because they are looking forward to do it (maybe, maybe not, we'll never know) but just because they "have to"

Now I just remember the "famous" A matter of the beast tour'07 that was supposed to be a celebration for the 25th of NotB...and what did we get ? Same old classics with just CotD as a bonus. But this was just a quick summer tour, like the last leg of the AMOLAD tour. The 2023 is a new one not just another part of an ongoing tour

Ok, sometimes I'd like dreams to come true, so I'll say a - small - yes

if they just have said Somewhere in Time in focus bla bla... I would say, they will not play. But they said "the songs fans are demanding etc" so AtG is the first one when you underline sth like that. and the second one is of course angel and the gambler. praying for both : p

Yes.

I think they want to play ''Alexander The Great'' more than ''Caught Somewhere In Time''... (we always have ''Sea Of Madness''). Let's also not forget the huge demand from the fans (never played live or not played for a long time - does not matter anymore). And with 3 guitarists, there are no excuses.

I agree with the following statements:

I think they’ve backed themselves into a corner with ATG. They have to!
if they just have said Somewhere in Time in focus bla bla... I would say, they will not play. But they said "the songs fans are demanding etc" so AtG is the first one when you underline sth like that.
But as this next tour is promoted (so far), it's going to be very difficult for Maiden not to play this song because they know this is probably the most requested song on their entire catalogue ("We have had lots of requests from fans over the years for many tracks on it so we are now going to play them"). This tour is mainly focused on this album and Senjutsu, so how are they are going to avoid the obvious ? And what excuse would they come up with if they don't play it? And since Bruce has said in some interviews in the past that he'd like to play this song live and that he has teased it during greek shows in the past by singing the chorus a capella...
But this was just a quick summer tour, like the last leg of the AMOLAD tour. The 2023 is a new one not just another part of an ongoing tour

I think they will play it. It will be interesting to see Bruce reciting those primary school lyrics trying to hit the notes though (I have no doubt H will do a superb job with the solos).

I´m still doubting. The same with The Parchment.
If they play one of these 2 I allready be thrilled, let alone if they play them both. But I think the latter will be more plausibel. Offcourse I might be very wrong.

Answering the poll, I say they will play it, but I'm in a middle ground where I won't be too cut up if they don't play it, but will also sing every word if they do play it (assuming I actually get tickets :S). Also can't wait for the influx of complaints that they played it too slow, Janick butchered the solos, Bruce can't sing anymore and it didn't sound the same as it did when it was recorded 37 years ago.

If they play one of these 2 I allready be thrilled, let alone if they play them both. But I think the latter will be more plausibel. Offcourse I might be very wrong.

I'd be more excited over The Parchment tbh.

Why? Because it's without a chorus? I sometimes wish the song had a chorus, but still ''The Parchment'' is a song made for live performances (6 solos!) and it will be like ''The Red and The Black'' - a little rest for Bruce.

''Death Of The Celts'' will be a great live song too (like Clansman).
I won't be too cut up if they don't play it
I will be very disappointed. The song will sound better live now than if it was played in 1986, mainly because Bruce is a better singer now.

Live setting for ''Alexander The Great''

stage lights: yellow (main) and blue (for the instrumental section).
backdrop: ATG Eddie on a horse.
Adrian's guitar: white & black Jackson (probably for all SIT songs... maybe a special one for SIASL).
Dave's guitar: signature sunburst Strat.
Janick's guitar: black & white Fender.
Steve's bass: signature bass.
Bruce's stage costume: cloak and sword.

:yey:

So.... Wind sounds from the PA system... My son....
Fans will go crazy. Guys, we all forgot that there will be One huge SURPRISE. At the end of the intro, Bruce will claim the stage on a horse! Rob Halford has motorbike, Bruce will ride in on the old warhorse. Just imagine, Bruce wearing a toga, holding a spear on a horse. Spectacular! :ninja: :scared:

Last edited:
So.... Wind sounds from the PA system... My son....
Fans will go crazy. Guys, we all forgot that there will be One huge SURPRISE. At the end of the intro, Bruce will claim the stage on a horse! Rob Halford has motorbike, Bruce will ride in on the old warhorse. Just imagine, Bruce wearing a toga, holding a spear on a horse. Spectacular! :ninja: :scared:
and then they play The One You Love to Hate instead ;)

Last edited:
A message to the Maiden camp (I am sure at least one person do):

For the love of God, please play it now! This is your chance. Please surprise us. Many fans will love it. Even drop a classic song if you need to, you have our blessings. Thank you.

I just hope this whole ATG thing will open the discussion to playing other gems as well: Starblind, Empire of the Clouds, The Nomad, The Duellists...

I just hope this whole ATG thing will open the discussion to playing other gems as well: Starblind, Empire of the Clouds, The Nomad, The Duellists...
I doubt it, unfortunately. They know how much the fans want to hear ATG (and more songs from SIT album) live.

There are so many gems in the band's discography. Some examples of songs I can't believe are not played live or rarely:

Empire Of The Clouds (too long and has a piano, I guess. Must be performed at least once live).
Shadows Of The Valley (with its intro, tempo, verses, chorus and instrumental section I'm sure it will be a great live song).
Coming Home (a potential live favorite).
The Alchemist (a perfect live song, can't believe they didn't play it).
Starblind and Isle Of Avalon (the former is a difficult song for Bruce, while the latter is made for live performances. A big missed opportunity with TFF tour, unfortunately).
Different World (catchy song that is powerful live).
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (atmospheric live song).
Lord Of Light (a powerful live song with great parts like the intro, verses, calm middle part and solos).
The Legacy (maybe too specific and difficult to perform live, but the song shines live).
Rainmaker (a hit single. The song is not that easy live for Bruce though).
Montségur (this is a heavy and melodic live gem).
The Fallen Angel (sounded pretty good in 2001 and is a potential hit single imo).
The Nomad (we probably all know why this song is not played live. A perfect live song).
Out Of The Silent Planet (catchy fast single with golden instrumental section and chorus!).
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate (difficult song for Bruce and unusual verses, I guess).
Futureal (short fast rocker full of energy).
Judgement Of Heaven (the instrumental section will be amazing live).
The Edge Of Darkness (atmospheric live song... intro, verses, melodies and drumming).
Be Quick Or Be Dead (too fast maybe... or maybe not).
Childhood's End (the song has a specific chorus, but the instrumental sections will be great live).
Wasting Love (the chorus is difficult for Bruce).
Judas Be My Guide (catchy and energetic short rocker).
No Prayer For The Dying (the song shines live).
Run Silent Run Deep (the classic gallop and perfect chorus for live performances).
Infinite Dreams (I don't know why this great song is not played live since 1988, another atmospheric gem).
Only The Good Die Young (catchy fast song with a singalong chorus).
Caught Somewhere In Time (a difficult song for Nicko, I guess).
Sea Of Madness (great tempo, chorus and instrumental section for live performances).
Stranger In A Strange Land (perfect song for live performances with its tempo and solo).
Alexander The Great (amazing song that will shine even more live).
The Duellists (this like an essential Maiden song with golden instrumental section and tempo and chorus for live performances).
Still Life (very good live song).
To Tame A Land (it should have been played on at least one more tour. The song is better live).
Killers (an early classic that always sounds powerful and great live).
Prowler (unmistakable Maiden! Always very good live).

I doubt it, unfortunately. They know how much the fans want to hear ATG (and more songs from SIT album) live.

There are so many gems in the band's discography. Some examples of songs I can't believe are not played live or rarely:

Empire Of The Clouds (too long and has a piano, I guess. Must be performed at least once live).
Shadows Of The Valley (with its intro, tempo, verses, chorus and instrumental section I'm sure it will be a great live song).
Coming Home (a potential live favorite).
The Alchemist (a perfect live song, can't believe they didn't play it).
Starblind and Isle Of Avalon (the former is a difficult song for Bruce, while the latter is made for live performances. A big missed opportunity with TFF tour, unfortunately).
Different World (catchy song that is powerful live).
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (atmospheric live song).
Lord Of Light (a powerful live song with great parts like the intro, verses, calm middle part and solos).
The Legacy (maybe too specific and difficult to perform live, but the song shines live).
Rainmaker (a hit single. The song is not that easy live for Bruce though).
Montségur (this is a heavy and melodic live gem).
The Fallen Angel (sounded pretty good in 2001 and is a potential hit single imo).
The Nomad (we probably all know why this song is not played live. A perfect live song).
Out Of The Silent Planet (catchy fast single with golden instrumental section and chorus!).
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate (difficult song for Bruce and unusual verses, I guess).
Futureal (short fast rocker full of energy).
Judgement Of Heaven (the instrumental section will be amazing live).
The Edge Of Darkness (atmospheric live song... intro, verses, melodies and drumming).
Be Quick Or Be Dead (too fast maybe... or maybe not).
Childhood's End (the song has a specific chorus, but the instrumental sections will be great live).
Wasting Love (the chorus is difficult for Bruce).
Judas Be My Guide (catchy and energetic short rocker).
No Prayer For The Dying (the song shines live).
Run Silent Run Deep (the classic gallop and perfect chorus for live performances).
Infinite Dreams (I don't know why this great song is not played live since 1988, another atmospheric gem).
Only The Good Die Young (catchy fast song with a singalong chorus).
Caught Somewhere In Time (a difficult song for Nicko, I guess).
Sea Of Madness (great tempo, chorus and instrumental section for live performances).
Stranger In A Strange Land (perfect song for live performances with its tempo and solo).
Alexander The Great (amazing song that will shine even more live).
The Duellists (this like an essential Maiden song with golden instrumental section and tempo and chorus for live performances).
Still Life (very good live song).
To Tame A Land (it should have been played on at least one more tour. The song is better live).
Killers (an early classic that always sounds powerful and great live).
Prowler (unmistakable Maiden! Always very good live).
I'd like Montsegur, but tough one on Bruce in particular.

I'm not sure there are enough tours left in them for too many deeper cuts sadly, unless they make their final tour all deep cuts for the fans, which would be pretty sweet, actually.

Back