Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right but Maiden management should prepare everything a way better and give fans more time. And now they're doing nothing with the album - probably will be back when SENJUTSU Tour stars next year (as we hope). Even the latest Judas Priest album was a way better promoted in 2018. Shame on Smallwood once again...
There's nothing they did "wrong" with promoting the record. All major magazines and websites had advanced reviews of the album. There was huge internet hype with the Belshazaar's Feast. They are one of the biggest, legendary metal bands in the world - after the announcement was made it was everywhere. It was even news on my Yahoo homepage for chrissakes. They don't need months to promote and fans don't need time to "prepare". It's a laughable take. I never noticed any special promotions for Firepower over Senjutsu.

Last edited:
Everybody on this planet is entitled to be as angry as they wish, I believe. Should be in a universal declaration or charter or something.

I think its a 7.5/10. Some great songs, the title track, WOTW, DOFP, HOE all highlights but nothing quite as good as Empire or Book of Souls on there. I'm just disappointed some of my friends who are huge Maiden fans think its garbage. Somebody even said was such a chore to listen too even after 9 or 10 listens.

I think its a 7.5/10. Some great songs, the title track, WOTW, DOFP, HOE all highlights but nothing quite as good as Empire or Book of Souls on there. I'm just disappointed some of my friends who are huge Maiden fans think its garbage. Somebody even said was such a chore to listen too even after 9 or 10 listens.
Yeah, I'm not getting some of the pushback from "big" Maiden fans on Senjutsu. I love it. And I'm still kind of waiting for the new Maiden album hype to calm down a bit for me but so far I'm thinking this is my favorite reunion era album.

A month after its release, I concur. I think it is a good album, with some great stuff and some self-indulgence that grates a bit. I like it, more than DOD or TFF, but less than the other reunion albums.

Regarding some of your friends thinking it’s garbage, I disagree with them but opinions are like arseholes: everybody has one and some stink! :lol: I even know people who love Virtual XI!

Well… they've spent 20M bucks to make a couple of wonderful videos for the fans. Can you imagine what happened if they were spend that bunch of money to promote the album in the press, radio or whatever?…But they're not mainstream
They didn’t spend 20 million..

I still have the melodies from The Parchment, Hell On Earth, Time Machine, Senjutsu and Lost In A Lost World stuck in my head and I'm not listening to this as religiously as I did with Book Of Souls and that's a good thing. This is one of their most melodic albums ever.

The Parchment and Hell On Earth are mandatory on my Maiden playlist now. I'll still listen to the other tracks but these two are a freaking godsend if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm not getting some of the pushback from "big" Maiden fans on Senjutsu. I love it. And I'm still kind of waiting for the new Maiden album hype to calm down a bit for me but so far I'm thinking this is my favorite reunion era album.

I don't understand fans having varying opinions on the reunion era albums. Are they really that different from each other? I can understand someone hating the entire era but stuff like "TBOS is great but Senjutsu is shit" or vice versa make no sense to me, they aren't that far removed from each other.

They are different enough. TBoS never worked for me. I like Senjutsu a lot more. Sure, similar in style but TBoS comes off as bloated and for the most part forgettable to me whereas Senjutsu does not. Two persons can have similar running style but perform differently when running a track. Senjutsu does it better.

I still have the melodies from The Parchment, Hell On Earth, Time Machine, Senjutsu and Lost In A Lost World stuck in my head
So do I... Except, "The Time Machine", that is not in my top songs on 'Senjutsu'. Otherwise, the other songs are stuck in my head too. :)

They are different enough. TBoS never worked for me. I like Senjutsu a lot more. Sure, similar in style but TBoS comes off as bloated and for the most part forgettable to me whereas Senjutsu does not. Two persons can have similar running style but perform differently when running a track. Senjutsu does it better.

Funnily enough, I see it the other way round even though I like Senjutsu too.

Reactions: Yax
TBOS has definitely fallen a lot for me.

Empire just doesn't have enough in it to be interesting 18 minutes after 6 years. There's a moment here and there and the buildup is nice. I mean they made an arrangement out of 1st year of piano school type of motif. It's good, it isn't timeless or memorable. The best thing about it that it isn't a failure, considering 18 minute Iron Maiden with lead piano.

I always disliked Red and the Black and the eponymous epic is great until about the losferwords part, then it just goes into Maiden by the numbers, which is not something I'm dying to hear after all these years.

The short tracks this album intentionally pushed for, came out as nothing special. Shorter tracks may be hit / miss affair for reunion Maiden but these ones are sitting right at dead center. Serviceable, nothing more or less. Nice refreshing approach with Tears but again nothing one could be too crazy about.

TBOS has definitely fallen a lot for me.

Empire just doesn't have enough in it to be interesting 18 minutes after 6 years. There's a moment here and there and the buildup is nice. I mean they made an arrangement out of 1st year of piano school type of motif. It's good, it isn't timeless or memorable. The best thing about it that it isn't a failure, considering 18 minute Iron Maiden with lead piano.

I always disliked Red and the Black and the eponymous epic is great until about the losferwords part, then it just goes into Maiden by the numbers, which is not something I'm dying to hear after all these years.

The short tracks this album intentionally pushed for, came out as nothing special. Shorter tracks may be hit / miss affair for reunion Maiden but these ones are sitting right at dead center. Serviceable, nothing more or less. Nice refreshing approach with Tears but again nothing one could be too crazy about.
I really enjoyed the tour to Book of Souls but half the album does not do it for me. I think BOS has higher highs than Senjutsu (title track, IESF, Great Unknown) but Senjutsu is more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back