Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit disappointed on first listen, but the album is starting to grow. I still wish there was some more uptempo tracks.
Many of the songs seems very dark and sluggish. The highlight of the album for me is probably Hell on Earth. There is something really special about that song.

Favourite tracks:

Senjutsu
Stratego
Hell on Earth

Least favourite:

Lost in A Lost World
Death of the Celts

I wish Martin Popoff would take this approach instead...

200w.webp

In all honesty though Lost in A lost World is a monster of a song. I'm on my sixth album run through now (took a break to get my smithing up in Skyrim) and it is my favourite song.
Really trying to get into DOFP but it's just not clicking at the minute. Hopefully it will come...

I started off my first listening session by laying on the couch with my new pair of headphones, and ended the listening session by sitting upright. They really saved the best for last with the two closing tracks.

I was listening to The Time Machine and kept waiting and waiting for that chorus that had many reviewers mindblown. And then the track ended. :lol:

I guess it needs more listens. So far I think Death of the Celts is a better epic, but that could change the more I listen to the album.
Well.. I think DOTC and Hell on Earth are amazing songs. Cant get enough of them. The Parchemnt has some flaws...

Hard to take it all in on a first listen. I did feel frustrated with the typical Harrisisms and Janickisms.
Im hoping it will grow on me....but I did feel like a good chunk of the album was written by a Harris/Gers invented AI. Created to simulate almost exactly what they would write. Not sure. Might be just confusion upon first listen. Sorta felt similar feeling after listening to BOS on first go. That grew on me. Not to the heights of AMOLAD....but grew. Lets hope this does too

I am still not bowled over by Hell On Earth. What is so special about it?
I just love the melodies after the song gets going, the verses are really beautiful and the chorus is glorious. It's really catchy as well. I also love the breakdown in the middle with Bruce's softer voice leading the crescendo and then the explosion with LOOOOVE IN ANGER, LIIIIFE IN DANGER. Just love it.

Currently on my second listen. Initial thoughts on Senjutsu.

• The production is the best since AMOLAD. Everything is clear and crunchy. Bruce's vocals sound nice and wet. I love the new synth sound they've applied here. Obviously Steve has upgraded his old Casio keyboard finally.
  • Like TBOS I prefer the inner artwork to the cover (see pic)
  • Wow. The reviews weren't kidding that Senjutsu was Toolesque. Man Nicko's drums are like rolling thunder. This is heavier than anything Metallica have managed since 1991. The chorus is unbelievable. An instant classic.
  • Stratego is a classic galloping rocker. Up there with OOTSP.
  • TWOTW has grown on me. I wasn't sure about it initially but Adrian's epic solo has won me over.
  • LIALW has a better first half than the latter. I love the Pink Floyd vibes in the first 3 minutes. The rest of the song is quite X-Factor-ish which doesn't appeal to me. The outro brought it back though.
  • DOFP (I was so hoping this would be based on the X-Men story but sadly not) is a solid H rocker. It sounds like something off BNW which I appreciated.
  • I LOVED TTM. Janick on fire as usual. Giving us some solid hooks and melodies (even though he copies his own celtic melody from TBOS).
  • I absolutely loved Darkest Hour even though I think Churchill was a cnut. He got one thing right in a lifetime of wrongs so I guess that's worthy of examination. The vocals soar on this one. The waves and seagulls really add to the atmosphere. It wasn't overtly jingoistic either which I was fine with.
  • DOTC was a slight let-down as it had been hyped as Clansman II (never read the reviews). I was expecting a soaring chorus but didn't get one. What we did get though was a five minute celtic jig which I'd love to see live.
  • The Pak-re-ment as it has become know around here starts off well with some decent melodies then an extended instrumental section. What I wasn't prepared for is when the song just TAKES OFF in the 3rd act and Bruce soars and the music swells. My favourite part of the album thus far.
  • HOE is a monster. Steve just pulls all the Maiden out of his sleeve. Massive gallops, huge choruses and epic solos. Everything you want in an album closer.
I need to hear this more to fully comprehend it but thus far it's an absolute triumph. I wouldn't dare rank it out of all 17 albums yet but of the reunion era I'd place it 3rd below AMOLAD and BNW. While it doesn't reach those heights it blows TBOS, TFF and DOD out of the water. Some achievement for a band pushing 70. Well done lads.

20210903_222256.jpg

Last edited:
Martin Popoff has his usual criticisms for reunion-era Maiden:
Seemed like a good review to me. The guy was on point and honest. Used his own opinions and also enlighted about opinions of others.

He doesn't like long songs, so we see where he is coming from.
I still find it rather weird that people complain about song order. Are people still listening to songs in order these days?
I always use random mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back