Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is saying they have to like it. But it's like someone off a pub team putting a video up having a go at Cristiano Ronaldo
You can't say that. These guys are very talented musicians. Listen to any track and you'll see they can play their instruments.

These guys are allowed to have an opinion of Maiden just like you can have an opinion on Tyr. How they word that opinion is a different matter.

You can't say that. These guys are very talented musicians. Listen to any track and you'll see they can play their instruments.

These guys are allowed to have an opinion of Maiden just like you can have an opinion on Tyr. How they word that opinion is a different matter.
It's still quite okay to go "oh well, that's rich, coming from these guys, innovators and pioneers of metal".

So after almost an entire month how is senjutsu faring for you guys?
Its still growing on me. At first the two song i liked least were death of the celts and lost world but now i really love their instrumental breaks (still cant dig much of the voice delay on the lost world intro) and i can say its my favorite since seventh son and probably top 5 in general. At this point i already dropped book of souls when it was released and i keep replaying senjutsu on full

Its still growing on me. At first the two song i liked least were death of the celts and lost world but now i really love their instrumental breaks (still cant dig much of the voice delay on the lost world intro) and i can say its my favorite since seventh son and probably top 5 in general. At this point i already dropped book of souls when it was released and i keep replaying senjutsu on full
Solid album.

Really love Darkest Hour and Stratego. TWOTW, Senjutsu, and Hell On Earth are all great. Days Of Future Past is very good and The Parchment is not bad either. More mixed feelings on the other three, but they're all enjoyable enough.

Probably top half of the discography, though I prefer TBOS. That's not a knock though; TBOS is my personal favourite.

Good album with some outstanding moments. Way below AMOLAD (top 5 Maiden album for me) and not on par with BNW or TBOS (albeit not far). Better than TFF and DOD and miles better than anything Maiden released during the 90s.

Good album with some outstanding moments. Way below AMOLAD (top 5 Maiden album for me) and not on par with BNW or TBOS (albeit not far). Better than TFF and DOD and miles better than anything Maiden released during the 90s.
i do not dislike either BNW or AMOLAD, love them both, but for some reason senjutsu is hitting me hard, probably because im having a hard time in life, who knows...
The first album i saw being actually released was TFF so i don't have much to compare in terms of time between release-end of release hype. anyways i love much of it and The parchment is by far my favorite track, i dont know why people want it cut down hahahaha, i think hell on earth is fucking great but it would have more room to be cut down.

EDIT: @DJMayes
I like TBOS a lot but the CD2 i feel it could be cut down to 1 album and it would be perfect then, apart from empire of the clouds i dont have much attachment to the second cd.

EDIT: @DJMayes
I like TBOS a lot but the CD2 i feel it could be cut down to 1 album and it would be perfect then, apart from empire of the clouds i dont have much attachment to the second cd.
That's not too surprising; I think the majority tend to prefer the first CD. I actually prefer the second but I think the reason I rank the album higher relative to others here is that I really love the more contentious songs on CD2.

Regarding TYR’s podcast, big part of the criticism is about production and I think there is some ground here.
I mean no matter how much we like Senjutsu, is there anybody at Maidenfans.com that prefers its sound to that of Powerslave?

I get @Zare ’s point about groove and @Yax ’s appreciation for organic sound and I do like Shirley, but when I listen anything from Senjutsu and then immediately Powerslave the difference of how they sound is striking, favoring the latter.

Also I think the bassist makes a point about production in a bigger way, someone to have a real say to execution, which I also agree and it’s in line with Bruce’s comments about Black Album.

This is my opinion and I’d like to know if there is anybody in the music industry except Maiden that believes that Shirley’s approach delivers a better & more pleasant sounding result than industry standard or even that of Birch.

*I do suspect that their current way of working suits them better logistically as saving their energy & time, capturing the groove, vibe etc. And that’s production too. Thus yes, in that regard, maybe Kevin’s way is the best (and most honest) way to produce. But if we speak purely about sound, without taking in consideration anything else, then it’s a different story.

Last edited:
I mean with the whole Tyr it's not like they're saying they could do it better. Just because they're in a band themselves doesn't mean they think their music is automatically better. When I make criticisms of Senjutsu (of which I have many) it would be unfair for people to be like, "That's rich coming from you James, YOUR band only knows 4 Misfits songs and sucks". Overall I think the hate Tyr is getting for voicing very thorough opinions on an album from a band they're fans of is unwarranted.

Except Magnus's criticisms, which is valid and called for.

That's not too surprising; I think the majority tend to prefer the first CD. I actually prefer the second but I think the reason I rank the album higher relative to others here is that I really love the more contentious songs on CD2.

CD2 has been the stronger one for me since the first listen.

What this album miserably failed in, though, was bringing back @CriedWhenBrucieLeft and @Black Wizard which is a shame.
And, refraining from Death-of-Celts jokes here would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: My bad, it did bring Cried after all, but I was abroad and not paying attention. :(

Nope it didn’t. If you refer to post announcement memes, Cried used to do memes-only, since long ago and the only non meme post he did has also long before Senjutsu was announced. So no.

One of Maiden's best albums with no fillers. Also, one of my favorite albums as a whole piece.

Second best reunion album after BNW. The future classics are: the title track (despite being an atypical song for the band), Stratego, Darkest Hour (amazing ballad) and the last 3 songs.

I did the re-evaluation of all albums to prepare for this. Even being conservative with that one, it’s falling somewhere between Top 4 -Top 6 for me.

Very strong album. No weak song. There are less 10s than AMOLAD but lots of 9s.
In the end the average is bigger than both BNW & AMOLAD, ranking as best since 7th Son.
Of course this way of ranking (song by song) is just indicative and not perfect, there’s the overall feel, production, big moments, performances etc., thus I won’t say it beats any of the two just yet, but it’s a top tier album that’s for sure.

Amazing album. No fillers at all.

I still can't rank it properly, but I already think it's better than anything they released since BNW.

I really like it. Somehow, I feel TBOS is only starting to sink for me now that Senjutsu is out. Maybe I need to wait till the next album for Senjutsu to fully sink.

Same here but we are in the minority. TBOS is probably the most popular song on the album overall and IESF is well up there.

LOL. I was being dense there and thought the discussion was about Senjutsu. I don't think I have a preference for TBOS

Regarding TYR’s podcast, big part of the criticism is about production and I think there is some ground here.
I mean no matter how much we like Senjutsu, is there anybody at Maidenfans.com that prefers its sound to that of Powerslave?
They were not only criticising the production, but also the editing the tightness of the playing, the construction of the songs, the length of the songs, the tempo of the songs, the intent of the band to play for themselves rather that to please an audience, the self plagiarism.

All of these complaints are valid for many people.

I didn't hear them saying things that I haven't already heard before. Many people want Maiden to write quicker, punchier, shorter songs. They are fans of the earlier style of music and not fans of Maiden's slower and longer songs that they have been doing since the 90's.

It doesn't resonate with me because I love these longer songs, I don't have to have music at fast tempo. But it would be nice to have professional level production like they used to have pre-Shirley.
I find it interesting that they liked Tailgunner, which to me was the worst song from that album.

Just listening to the album at the minute and it flows really well.
Really enjoying all of the songs and the production is probably the best it's been for a long time.
The only gripe I have at the minute is TTM but I am warming to it. It's really weird because it seems like a song that belongs on the X-factor and I really like that album.
I have really got into the title track and favourite song is probably LIALW.

Why isn't Tyr allowed to dislike the new Maiden album? Am I missing something?
Come on man. No one is saying they aren’t allowed. Please. This is a maiden forum. Those wannabe no talent jealous losers are talking crap. That rubbish was brought up here. Of course we’re going to respond. Screw them. I am ALLOWED to … have this opinion as well , yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back