Play Alexander the Great Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bummed about Infinite Dreams but ATSS more than made up for it.

Infinite dreams is a top 5 song for me.... It was THE SONG I was looking forward too that tour... Seventh Son was great to hear live but to leave out Infinite Dreams? :(
I went on both legs of the USA tour in 2012 and 2013 hoping they'd change the set list and add it...

SBIT should have featured more SIT tracks and ME the SSOAS tracks plus still life and die with your boots on. ATSS, Aces, Revelations, Wrathchild, Phantom didn't make any sense on the ME tour. Especially as they were all played on the SBIT tour!

not sure why they chose that song but Rod Smallwood did say they rehearsed Infinite Dreams and decided to go with ATSS... :facepalm:

It's not a bad song but it didn't fit the set list AT ALL... If a "history tour" is considered one by playing just 2 songs (which was done on SBIT with just 2 SIT songs), the Maiden England was a FOTD history tour :oops:

Very true.

The band just doesn't like playing tracks from Somewhere in Time. Don't know why that is true, but it is.

Nicko said on Eddie Trunk that Bruce and Steve pick the set list for the most part. Bruce probably doesn't want to do those songs.

The band just doesn't like playing tracks from Somewhere in Time. Don't know why that is true, but it is.

Bruce's heart and soul wasn't in when it was recorded, and at the time it was critically ill received which probably clouds Maidens perception of it. Alexander in particular was seen as a nadir by the music press.

Iron Maiden like to paint themselves as a band who doesn't give a damn what the music press thinks though.

I think this time though what the press where saying maybe backed up some of the doubts they may have had themselves.

Oh really? What were the press saying about 'Somewhere in Time'?

I can't remember an exact quote, but my memories where that SIT was always seen as the weakest of the 80's albums by the metal press and it only seems that in the internet era it has become a fan-driven "hidden classic" as it were.

Also elements of the UK press used to mock some of the more prog leanings of Maiden, anything that they could accuse of being "self indulgent" was attacked.

Bruce's heart and soul wasn't in when it was recorded, and at the time it was critically ill received which probably clouds Maidens perception of it. Alexander in particular was seen as a nadir by the music press.

Ill received?
img_2269-png.6117

Attachments

• IMG_2269.PNG
    IMG_2269.PNG
    262.1 KB · Views: 127
I can't remember an exact quote, but my memories where that SIT was always seen as the weakest of the 80's albums by the metal press and it only seems that in the internet era it has become a fan-driven "hidden classic" as it were.

Also elements of the UK press used to mock some of the more prog leanings of Maiden, anything that they could accuse of being "self indulgent" was attacked.

what press? It's the highest rated album they've ever done from Kerrang and Metal Hammer! 2 of the big players back then in the magazine world. It was also their most commercial success, especially in the USA... It charted longer than any other album they ever had too... I have the stats on a thread I made awhile ago. They had A LOT of metal albums to fight that year though. Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Darkness Descends, ect... I could see with it being compared to those albums as not meeting the "thrash standard" which was happening around that year.

Alexander the Great gets better every tour it doesn't get played. Just like a footballer who is injured for a long time. The longer absence, the better people think it is.

It's weakest epic from the 80's, and they've got a bunch of songs from the most recent albums I'd rather hear them play.
your high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back