• Higher

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Lower

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • Equal

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters
Well to me, Icarus is filler and Still Life and To Tame a Land are masterpieces

You are of course welcome to make a compilation of your favourite songs from last 16 albums and it die instantly of awesomeness upon hearing :D but apparently people like very different things, as can be learned on this forum and elsewhere

Hell, I think that Quest for Fire is the weakest song on those 2 albums, but I wouldn't want that they never had put it on the record

For me, the albums are pretty much two instances of the same thing - a set of 5 fantastic songs with an unholy amount of filler. For Piece of Mind, it's the first five songs. For Powerslave, it's the four obvious ones and Flash of the Blade. In that sense I rank them equally. Just imagine a 10 song album with the 5 good ones of each though...

Piece of Mind is kind enough to put all the songs in order at the start though, so that's something.

There is nothing obvious about Powerslave, im guessing you mean: Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave & Rime but i say Losfer Words, The Duellists and Flash of the Blade are better songs than 2 minutes to midnight

There is nothing obvious about Powerslave, im guessing you mean: Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave & Rime but i say Losfer Words, The Duellists and Flash of the Blade are better songs than 2 minutes to midnight

I agree that Flash of the Blade is better than 2 Minutes but most people would guess the four you did.

To me, Powerslave is stronger. But it's not as easy as it seems.

When I was in high school, Piece of Mind was easily my favourite Maiden album (along with Brave New World... and AMOLAD, which came out later, so it doesn't count).
I loved To Tame a Land (a great epic, and I liked the idea of a song based on Dune, which I loved then), I loved Revelations (still do, one of my favourite "early" Maiden tracks up until now), I loved Where Eagles Dare, I loved Die with Your Boots On...

However, the years that passed have not been kind to the album - I can see now most of the songs are a tad filler-ish. Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel, The Trooper (which I've never liked that much)... Even Icarus (a song that doesn't sound that much like Maiden to me, to be honest)...

Powerslave is definitely stronger. I mean, Aces High, Powerslave and Rime are all ten out of ten material, as far as I'm concerned. I even like the rest - it's all fun. I like the solos, I like the "dry" sound and I like the way the songs stick together and give the album a bit of a cohesiveness (POM had that, but only in the ways of sound... the songs on Powerslave fit together much more). The Duellists is a forgotten highlight - it's a shame it's never been played live.

So, considering the original question - Powerslave is better. I like Piece of Mind, just as much as I like every other Maiden album, but Powerslave is probably one of the strongest albums in the 80's by Maiden. Okay, so maybe Somewhere in Time is better, but it's a close shave anyway...

Last edited:
Powerslave is definitely my favorite of the two. Piece of Mind would probably be in the middle of my ranking somewhere, whereas Powerslave is top three or thereabouts for me.

Lower

POM have some of the best Maiden songs IMO (Revelations, Still life, Where eagles dare), and both The trooper and Flight of Icarus are brilliant live, but Quest for fire and Sun and steel pulls it way down.

Poweslave is about as perfect as it is :) omly thing I dont' like so much on Pwerslave is the instrumental.

Lower.

By the way, I will never understand how can anyone drop The Duellists out of Maiden's top 30 (even 20).

Vocals and chorus are pretty good, and the instrumental part is absolutely awesome. Some of the best material Maiden has every written.

Lower.

By the way, I will never understand how can anyone drop The Duellists out of Maiden's top 30 (even 20).

Vocals and chorus are pretty good, and the instrumental part is absolutely awesome. Some of the best material Maiden has every written.

One of their worst songs in my opinion.

One of their worst songs in my opinion.

I know! I've been following your list daily. It's been real fun!!

At the same time I must admit that we have really diferent ratings for a lot of songs. This being one of them. Starblind another. And most songs in AMOLAD will rank higher in mine.

I'd love to make such a list someday, but being English my forth language... it will take ages.

These are my top two favorite albums with 11 songs in my personal top 30. POM gets the nod for me for the amazing guitar tones, sheer volume of all-time classic songs, and lack of repetition. Powerslave is very close in these matters too (hence the #2 ranking), but POM gets the edge due to the strength of my 5-6-7th ranked songs on POM (Boots/Icarus/Eagles) are better than my 5-6-7 on Powerslave (2 Mins, Village, Flash). Finally, POM probably has the least amount of filler of any Maiden album. Even if you consider Sun and Steel and Quest for Fire filler, there is still more filler to be found in The Red and the Black than all of Piece of Mind.

Last edited:
POM is way above PS in my ranking.
Of the first 7 POM comes in second to SIT.
PS is fifth behind 3-NOTB and 4-SSOASS

Yes. Powerslave has great songs on it. Yes, it was amazing when it first came out.
But for me the glow soon wore off on that album. Everything sounds too much the same. It becomes boring to listen to it over time. So much so, that I really don't remember most of the songs on it. (by that, I mean, I cannot sing along to any but the ones on LAD)
Piece has great variety and I never get tired of listening to it. So much so, that I prefer the studio versions over the live versions of the songs. On the flip side, whenever I hear Powerslave tunes, all my mind can think is the LAD versions.
POM has 5 classics on it. Two other really good songs, and two clunkers.
The only other album that has that many classics is NOTB

Lower, definitely. POM is a good album but it has some lackluster songs for classic Maiden. Poweslave, on the other hand, is great from start to finish and is one of my favorite albums ever.

Back