Paul Di'Anno

It sounds absolutely awful. I would never be ready to pay money for such a poor product. I'm not sure what sounds worse - the production or Paul's voice.

Nice font for the artist name. Where on earth did he find that?

Given how, ahem, business-like Maiden can be about protecting their name, image and copyrights, would it be fair to assume that Paul must have the band's permission to rip off the logo and release all their old songs? Was some arrangement made years ago? I mean, Paul does enough slagging off of Maiden these days that you'd think Rod would be all over him.

I didn't say he was stealing it, only that it's unoriginal.

No, but I'm saying that, surely, between the logo design and releasing Maiden songs, there must be some copyright issues. And I wonder what the deal is? Paul was obviously on good enough terms with the band to appear on the Early Days dvd (and the 12 Wasted Years video some years before!), but he's said a few uncomplimentary things about them since.

Paul is a fucking chameleon, who says as he pleases and will make nice one day and stab Maiden in the back the next.

Granted, but even more reason for Rod and co to stomp all over any copyright issues. I understand that they bought all Paul's royalty rights off him, which is a hard-nosed thing to do. In that light, I don't understand how they would let Paul copy the logo lettering and make a commercial release of a load of Maiden songs.

Granted, but even more reason for Rod and co to stomp all over any copyright issues. I understand that they bought all Paul's royalty rights off him, which is a hard-nosed thing to do. In that light, I don't understand how they would let Paul copy the logo lettering and make a commercial release of a load of Maiden songs.
They bought his royalties. He can play them live and release them as a live package still - actually, anybody can.

Maiden and Harris in particular will make some money thanks to DiAnno live performances and video releases, so I assume there is nothing to complain about for them. As for the logo font, Harris didn't create it but borrowed it himself from a movie bill, so, DiAnno is perfectly entitled to use it, as anybody else would. But I get the point : the man is not really the most creative musician around. This is certainly a better way to make a living than fooling the british governmental institutions to get some money ;)

It sounds absolutely awful. I would never be ready to pay money for such a poor product. I'm not sure what sounds worse - the production or Paul's voice.

True. But he/they probably know or expect that this will not sell that much anyways...So why waste more money on making it look and sound like En Vivo (money he doesn't have anyways, which is why this "professionally" filmed DVD is coming out) when it will sell like 20 copies or whatever :p Gotta make some profit.

But then I thought, it doesn't make a difference; it's about the voice.

FFS Paul, that is why you should have retired ten years ago!

I don't know, that's sorta good news...I wish he had done this the whole time, made his own legacy (compiling a new band, write new songs) instead of living in 1979.

I had much more respect for Di'Anno when he was doing his own thing in "Battlezone", "Di'Anno" etc

Agreed. He can finally get on with performing original material to thousands of adoring fans instead of filling his setlists with stuff from the first two Maiden albums.

Back