Paul Di'Anno

A

Anonymous

This thread, along with the Bruce Dickinson, Adrian Smith and B L A Z E threads, is an experiment. When browsing the history of this forum, you will see lots of threads on Paul that have drowned after a while, and new members will start similar threads, simply for the sake of discussing his solo works. I thought it would be a good idea to have a central, continuing thread to talk all things Paul so people know where to make their comments and ask questions. I will now continue with some basic Paul reference.

To date, Paul Di'Anno has released the following albums:

As Dianno
  • Di'Anno (1984)
  • Nomad (2000)
With Battlezone
  • Fighting Back (1986)
  • Children Of Madness (1987)
  • Warchild (1988)
  • Feel My Pain (1998)
  • Cessation Of Hostilities (2001)
With Killers
  • Murder One (1992)
  • Menace To Society (1997)
  • Live (1997)
  • New Live&Rare (1998)
  • Killers Live At The Whiskey (2001)
  • Screaming Blue Murder (2002)
As Paul Di'Anno
  • The Worlds First Iron Man (1997)
  • As Hard As Iron (1997)
  • Beyond The Maiden (The Best Of) (1999)
  • The Masters (1999)
  • The Beast Live (2001)
  • The Beast In The East (2005)
Other
  • I will Be There (Gogmagog) (1985)
  • The Original Iron Men (1995)
  • The Original Iron Men 2 (1996)
  • Metal Christmas (1996)
  • The Almighty Inbredz (1999)
Note: I did not include the various compilations, singles and other releases Paul has worked on. Dianno's Live At The Palace is actually a live video, same as The Beast In The East.

Here are some useful links for Paul reference:

Official Website
Pauldianno.be

Please note these sites contain more information on Paul's discography and will probably answer any question you may have.

If any mod/monkey may have objections to this "experiment" of mine, they can unpin the topic or inform me about their concerns.

[!--quoteo(post=131770:date=Mar 13 2006, 11:14 AM:name=Maidenfreak)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maidenfreak @ Mar 13 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]131770[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
you've missed out Nomad in that list (as Dianno)
[/quote]

Fixed. Thanks, mate [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
Curious that it doesn't appear in the discography on his website though... any possible reasons?

Re: Paul Di'Anno

I didn't know he had made stuff besides playing Iron Maiden songs, I'll sure check it out.

PAUL DI'ANNO: I'm Not The Right Guy For The ANTHRAX Singer Job - July 27, 2007 

Rock N Roll Universe recently conducted an interview with former IRON MAIDEN vocalist Paul Di'Anno. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

Rock N Roll Universe: You recently released a new album here in the U.S., "The Living Dead", which is your first all new album in nearly six years. How do you feel the album turned out, and why has it been so long between albums with all new material?

Paul Di'Anno: The record industry is not what it used to be, so I shopped material for a deal just like everyone else...and I've been quite busy playing live the last couple of years.

Rock N Roll Universe: Also recently you put out "The Classics: The Iron Maiden Years", which consists of 12 re recorded versions of songs culled from the first two IRON MAIDEN albums. Now, there are some "fans" who have been very critical of this release, saying that you're still trading upon past glories by recording versions of songs you originally recorded over 25 years ago. What led you to the decision to put out the album, and what is your response to someone who might feel that way?

Paul Di'Anno: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've always thought the first MAIDEN album sounded awful (I know Steve [Harris] agrees with me), and I wanted to update the songs a bit. I'm hardly making any money of it, so it's not like I rip anyone off.

Rock N Roll Universe: It's been over 25 years since the first MAIDEN album came out, which makes the band eligible to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Is that something which you would like to see happen, and what do you feel your chances would be to be inducted as well? What are your feelings regarding all of that?

Paul Di'Anno: Don't really care for stuff like that. We got enough respect from our fans, and that's more than enough.

Rock N Roll Universe: How would you rate your vocal successors in IRON MAIDEN, Paul?

Paul Di'Anno: MAIDEN is a very different band with Bruce. He's great though. But I do the early stuff better, I think.

Rock N Roll Universe: Several months back there was an online petition started by fans of ANTHRAX to get the members of that band to consider you as the next vocalist for the band. What's your opinion regarding that, and if you were asked by the band, would you consider joining?

Paul Di'Anno: I don't mind. ANTHRAX is a great band, and Scott [Ian] is a great bloke. But I don't think I'm the man for the job.

Rock N Roll Universe: You've been in the business for over three decades now. Are there any goals, musically or otherwise that you'd still like to achieve?

Paul Di'Anno: I really want to make a classic crooner album...some old +Elvis tunes, Sinatra...I'm not kidding!

To access the entire interview go to this location.  -->
http://rocknrolluniverse.com/rocknrolluniverse_476.htm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=77643

Di'Anno:

- Heartuser (single)
- Flaming Heart (single)

Paul Di'Anno:
- The Classics: The Maiden Years
- The Living Dead

Ever heard (and seen) an acoustic performance of Wrathchild, done by Di'Anno himself? :)

click

"We haven't done this before so we're gonna have a laugh!"

I've just returned from Di Anno's show in my town. I wasn't pleasantly surprised, he and his band do no justice to the classics from Maiden's first two albums. He himself sings awfully, growls half the time, screams incoherently, sings faster than the tempo of the song. They played Sanctuary almost twice as fast as the studio version. One of the guitarists is awful, has got a really annoying treble-ish guitar sound.

The band playing before Di Anno was great, though - Thunderbolt. Their singer sings like Dickinson, unbelievably good.

I have Di'Anno's Nomad release... not a great record, but not too bad either. Di'Anno's voice sounds excellent on it. I love the growling & screaming he does. I think he sounds better now than in his Maiden days.

It's too bad he spends most of his time badly rehashing old Maiden tunes instead of actually doing something of merit.

Youtube --Paul Di'Anno sings Megadeth's Symphony Of Destruction

...the horror... the horror...

Nice recent interview with Paul Di'Anno in Canada. He looks a lot more chilled than we were used to, talking cheerfully about his Maiden time. He even wants to play with 'Arry again! :)

Man, he talks fast (East End accent or somethin'?) . Albie or Nush, would you transcribe this (kidding!).

Di'Anno's accent is now more of a "Transatlantic" one. To me, he sounds a bit more American than English - but Americans may say it's the other way round.

And is it me or does Di'Anno's voice come out of your left speaker and the interviewer the right - despite Di'Anno is sitting on the viewers right and the interviewer left.

I just picked up a vinyl copy of Dianno (1984), must say I am not overly impressed.  I think Paul sounds fine on the album, but too pop-ish as are the songs.    There are certainly some good moments, but I do not think it is his strongest effort.

When they came out, I bought his Battlezone stuff, and recall thinking it was solid, but not great  .. which is where I would put Dianno ... I'll have to check out his  post-80s stuff.

anyone know why he calls himself the beast?

Im reading his book at the moment and he has not said why hes called the beast  so far but what suprized me was he says he sold the rights to his maiden songs what an idiot.

Whatever the reason for calling it that, it's an hilarious autobiography and it should definitely have won the Booker Prize for fiction that year. ;)

When reading through his discography, it strikes me how often he references the band he is "finished with". Come on. The First Iron Man? Beyond the Maiden? Warchild? Not to mention working with a band called Children of the Damned? He's less finished with Maiden than Dave Mustaine is with Metallica.

national acrobat said:
Whatever the reason for calling it that, it's an hilarious autobiography and it should definitely have won the Booker Prize for fiction that year. ;)

That's something a right herbert would say.

Back