Out of the Silent Planet

How good is Out of the Silent Planet on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I'm actually really impressed with this one. Given that it's a track off BNW, I find it highly enjoyable and overall, good. While I'm not sure I get what the song is supposed to be about, nonetheless, it's a great track on a mostly mediocre album, so it gets a 9/10.

So... this song has grown on me. A lot. It's now one of my favorite 21st century Maiden songs, the best off of BNW, and one of my overall favorites of their whole discography. 10/10

Don't get what all the buzz is about. It's a good track, but it's no masterpiece and not even close to the band's best material. I think the chorus is repeated a little too much, and given the fact that I find it awkward and don't really like it, that's an issue for me. The instrumental section is also not up to par, not even with this album's best. Besides, it just doesn't work. It's nice within the context of the album, but as a standalone track, it's pretty weak. Can't give this one more than a 6.

This song probably drags on a bit too long for its own good. Nevertheless, it’s still a very good track, so I’ll give it a 8/10

A great plaintive lead with some odd rhythm strumming gives way to a soft, bright, appealing vocal intro. A heavier riff greets an excellent verse and pre-chorus. Love the vocal harmonies on the pre-chorus! Great lyrics here, too. Chorus 1 is great, with an unusual chorus of many harmonized Bruces.

Another round of verse, pre-chorus, and chorus 1 leads into a brief interlude before the not quite as appealing chorus 2. This cuts into a great extended solo before returning to chorus 1 and 2, and changing up the feel of chorus 2 before finishing on a great intro reprise.

Excellent song with a few weaker elements. 9/10.

The song somehow puts perspective to our tiny pale blue dot and the infinite expanse and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It also reminds that the universe is constantly trying to kill us

One of my all time favorites from Maiden, I love that song ! It has been played live only 4 times. :( A great single and a underrated song. I really wanted this song to be on the Rock in Rio 2001 concert. Fantastic intro, the chorus is out of this world, at first starts as a mid-tempo song, but then it gets fast. Again (as usual for Maiden) fantastic twin-lead guitar harmony (or in this case, triple-lead) with a very good solo from Janick - one of his best songs that should have been a classic. I have no problem with the repetitive chorus. Nicko drumming in this song is insane. The pre-chorus is amazing and the lyrics are great IMHO. And Bruce with his golden voice turns this song into a hidden gem, treasure, lost classic (well, for me it always will be a classic :)). I wish they will play it live again. It is in my Top 10 Maiden songs (at #3), so.... 10/10.

Yeah, this song keeps getting better and better. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in my Top 10 next time I go through them.

"Out of the Silent Planet" is fucking awesome. One of Maiden's best songs ever, featuring some of their best lyrics, a great chorus, great vocals, just amazing overall. I love it.
Yeah, this song keeps getting better and better. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in my Top 10 next time I go through them.
Spoiler alert: it is. 10

Chorus 1 is great, with an unusual chorus of many harmonized Bruces.

I remember Bruce saying at the time that originally the first chorus was supposed to be the same as the second, but Steve thought it would be a good idea to "keep 'em waiting" for the gallop in the second chorus.

Yeah, I love the differences between the two choruses there. In the music vid, they’re both exactly the same, and it ruins the effect.

7/10

It's certainly not perfect - too much repetition for that, but this song really cooks when it gets going near the end. Also the verses are fierce and powerful, in addition to having particularly inspired lyrics. Just a solid song on the whole. The breakdown after the second chorus is a super cool moment.

I enjoy this song, the chorus always reminded me Can I Play with Madness, very strongly and with a funny way -I know, nothing to do, yet it did. The intro is pure fun Maiden, from late 80s parallel universe.

Last edited:

Solid enough song. I enjoy it for what it is but I don't listen all that often outside of the context of the album.

I think SMX said something to the effect of “you don’t want to see how the sausage is made” when we did a cover of Alexander the Great. I have to say, although it hasn’t been finished, I’ve had a similar experience making rhythm tracks for Out of the Silent Planet. Going deep into this song and learning it inside and out turned a song that I was indifferent to at best into one that I think I can say I actively dislike. I’ve seen them describe this as a modern Run to the Hills in interviews, and I can definitely hear the similarities (and to be fair I’m not the biggest RTTH fan either). I just don’t think it does any of it very well. The vocal overdubs in the chorus are just way too much. The rhythms feel very plodding and the three guitar thing feels a bit messy, like people aren’t totally sure what to play. Where are the riffs? The held power chords get old really fast.

What this song gets right is primarily in the vocals and lyrics (previous criticisms of the chorus notwithstanding). Bruce delivers with a ton of conviction. The lyrics pair well with the dystopian vibe of Brave New World. It does seem to be going for a similar RTTH sort of vibe, although the lyrics aren’t quite as well organized. It kind of reminds me of Cowboys vs Aliens, although I think this song predates that.

The instrumental section is a nice set up, but the solos are seriously lacking. Filler defined.

Back