Other's Maiden Blasphemy?

wow thats some extremist antijanickism there, i dont understand how he frustrates some people so much. i dont think hes that bad and live hes entertaining and nice to see how theyre also enjoying it, if you dont like that just dont look at that side of the stage. :(

I really like Janick. And what's with all the complaining (generally on forums) about his playing etc? Listen to the finish JG now puts on the second HBTN lead (first appearance RiR?) --better, I think, than the album version. Admittedly he throws this little run into quite a few lead sections; but it sounds shit hot, not shit.

Yea honestly I'm not a big fan of his playing. It's too sloppy. And it still bugs me when he plays H's solos. He's a good songwriter though.

Okay, it's pretty sloppy live, but his album work is very good; & he brings something the other two don't.

Yeh, H should play the leads he originally played. But I don't want to hear H or Davey play Janick's leads either.

Hell, the cleanest sound live (sorry to all those H lovers) is definitely Dave. Everything is so left hand generated. Live, he so clean, firm & consistent in sound. Janick doesn't have it --or doesn't bother. But, H doesn't really have it, like Dave, either. Sorry, don't want to start a riot with my H criticism, as I love him to bits --but Dave has a better, cleaner sounding live tone to his playing, I think...  :innocent:

I can see your point about Dave, but Janick is still sloppy in the studio. Many of his solos on BNW were really good. But after that my point still stands.

Adrian is most accurate and serious on stage, followed by Dave who lately isn't really inspired while soloing (TNOTB solo is the best example). Janick is the most energetic one on stage, and he's also best acoustic guitarist. He butchers Adrians solos, so that's his biggest flaw.

There's always going to be an argument that this or that player isn't technically as good as so-and-so --but some guys just don't want to play, for example, really fast. Maiden's guitarist, generally, don't batter out super fast solos, for example.

But sound is something else. Everyone wants (surely) to replicate album stuff live; in terms of quality (--although not necessarily note-for-note). And in looking at this (sound), Dave, has by far the superior live sound. [I'm talking lead work here.] Not his style. His execution. Crisp/clean; consistent in volume throughout; no loss of quality with speed etc. In comparison Janick (definitely) & H (sorry...) don't have this. "This" being what Dave has.

Clearly, mind you, JG & H both bring songwriting (& H more than any of them) --which Davey doesn't. Still not bad having all three of them.

Shun me! Dave's better then H. There, I've said it.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
There, I've said it.

Well there's no problem when you say the truth :)
I always liked Davey the most and "the obsession" at this forum, I see just as some sort of amusement.

Mosh said:
I can see your point about Dave, but Janick is still sloppy in the studio. Many of his solos on BNW were really good. But after that my point still stands.

What about the four albums Janick did before BNW? Why, in particular, does he seem sloppy post-BNW? Was there stuff before that was good? Just curious; he doesn't seem to have changed much to me.

Night Prowler said:
Adrian is most accurate and serious on stage, followed by Dave who lately isn't really inspired while soloing (TNOTB solo is the best example). Janick is the most energetic one on stage, and he's also best acoustic guitarist. He butchers Adrians solos, so that's his biggest flaw.

Again, I think this is pretty unfair. You've never heard much of H playing Janick's solos --maybe he'd butcher them too. So there's no (fair) comparison to be made.

On something related, did Dave break/hurt his (little) finger around 2000 in CA, USA? I heard they cancelled a couple of shows, but when he returned he couldn't play any leads --it would be interesting to see/hear how the other two managed Dave's solos; badly I would suggest.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
What about the four albums Janick did before BNW? Why, in particular, does he seem sloppy post-BNW? Was there stuff before that was good? Just curious; he doesn't seem to have changed much to me.
I don't like the guitar work at all on those albums. Much of it has to do with production, and how Adrian's melodic side is sorely missing from those albums. It's not that his sound changed much, he just happened to have better solos on Brave New World. He was sloppy there too, but he had some good moments.

Dear oh dear, this morning Maidenfan100 was subjected to a rather unstructured rant from me about Metallica fans  :innocent:

Now, before I start - I don't consider Metallica a BAD band, personally I don't consider them anything special, but I'm not going to go round calling them crap.

When I'm bored I will occasionally read the news articles over at ultimate-guitar... although weeding through all the reposts and rehashes is frustrating, the sheer number of Metallica related news that seems to be spammed there is phenomenal. When you read the comments on these you find there is a reasonable mix of Metallica fans and Metallica haters, as you'd expect... but the Metallica fans are so amazingly over-zealous, they act like it's some sort of religion.

I found one reviewer of Metallica albums who no matter what he said in the review (such as "The lyrics were bad" etc) voted 10/10 in every category, on every album. He even went so far as to say St.Anger "proves once again why Lars Ulrich is the greatest drummer in the world".

What has always baffled me about the fans though, both online ones I see and the people I know in real life, is they refer to Metallica as the greatest band on the planet and leagues ahead of everyone else, but when you ask them about the material they say "Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are amazing".. followed by "Load, Reload and Garage Inc sucked" and "St. Anger doesn't exist, Death Magnetic makes my ears bleed and the less said about Lulu the better" ... so basically, they think Metallica are the best band ever, but don't think they've released anything good for 25 years.

My ex-gf was a huge Metallica fan, but never really mentioned them... I figure part of it was because she knew I didn't really like them and wanted to avoid argument, the few times I mentioned them she got frustrated as she felt like I "Wouldn't leave the topic alone"... although all I was trying to do was find out WHY she liked them so much in the hope I may start to appreciate them more... but she didn't seem to have an answer, she didn't even have a Metallica song in her top10, but still considered them her favourite band.

So yes, I don't see them as a bad band, I do think they are overrated... there is a very long time between studio releases and for the most part the past decade is treated like it doesn't exist, and so it baffles me to see people praise them the way they do.

Whilst this post is fairly similar/hypocritical, I think that link you gave just goes to show the type of thing I mean... over zealous support of their favourite band. I'm not even making this post to say "Maiden are better" etc, unlike him I'm not doing a comparison of bands, just bashing one (or actually not even the band, the fans :p). Fact is they are different bands different styles, comparing them is a hard thing to do.. but sheesh, their fans make Metal fans look pretty dumb at times.... (although I do wish the band themselves would stop trying to look 'mean' in every picture they get :p)

His attempt to justify songs as being "harder to play" with tablature examples is horrendous, sure, especially as his whole thing of not having to move your hand for that solo then gives an example of a 'tallica song which I can play those bars without moving my fret hand... furthermore complexity isn't everything. I like some thrash material (More of a Megadeth fan, bet you saw that coming) but I think melodies are a more 'artistic' thing to hear in music. Speed and 'heaviness' aren't everything.

Err yes... sorry, I'll stop ranting about the table and his friends.

Crimson Idol said:
His attempt to justify songs as being "harder to play" with tablature examples is horrendous, sure, especially as his whole thing of not having to move your hand for that solo then gives an example of a 'tallica song which I can play those bars without moving my fret hand

The funniest thing is that it's not even a Maiden solo. He read this article and tried to retell it.

rgba said:
The funniest thing is that it's not even a Maiden solo. He read this article and tried to retell it.

Haha, fantastic.

There's nothing wrong with sticking in boxes anyway, Slash is well known for using the minor pentatonic scales (I know that and I know jack about music theory/scales! Can't even tell you what note I'm playing!) but Sweet Child of Mine is frequently high on solo lists. Things like Coma move up and down the fretboard quite a bit though.

It's not like Dave uses a wah-wah for every solo like someone else is famous for too ;) I only ever try use a wah pedal on a song that has one in it already, or when I really can't come even CLOSE to the solo .. because Wah pedals work great for covering up mistakes.

Back