4. Harvest
5. Blackwater Park
6. Dirge For November
7. The Drapery Falls
8. Patterns In The Ivy

Jupz said:
Yeah, I was ordering them :)

What are your guys orders?
Yeah, i know that, but i meant you had like all the songs on the album on the first and second and third place :p

Blackwater Park is a behemoth of an album.

My current order...

1. Bleak
2. Blackwater Park
3. The Drapery Falls
4. The Leper Affinity
5. Dirge For November
6. Harvest
7. The Funeral Portrait
8. Patterns In The Ivy

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Blackwater Park is a behemoth of an album.

My current order...

1. Bleak
2. Blackwater Park
3. The Drapery Falls
4. The Leper Affinity
5. Dirge For November
6. Harvest
7. The Funeral Portrait
8. Patterns In The Ivy
Bleak is my favorite song on there for sure.

Jupz said:
Just went to see Opeth last night! They were amazing!

It sucked that I missed them, but when I saw them for the Watershed tour they were amazing. Glad you got to see them, great band.

Looks like Opeth's metal days are officially over. I liked Heritage, but if that's the type of music they make from now on, then I'll listen to other bands.

Not sure which funny voices you heard, but I didn't deduce that from the interview.

They have a bit of an against the grain attitude, nothing wrong with that.

Actually I liked the things he said about their first album. Great record.

Ummm, he said:

But right now I have a hard time seeing that I'm gonna go back writing progressive death metal. I've done that for my whole life and I feel I wanna discover new ways for this band, and Heritage is a good start.

EDIT: I was referring to your original post btw...

Alright. Well I still wouldn't be too sure that they'll never make/play metal anymore.
I don't think the whole thing is about decisions. It's more about feelings. Music happens, it's not pre-decided.

We know that at some point Åkerfeldt discovered progressive rock and folk music, and naturally it had big impact on the sound of the band.

Åkerfeldt on the diversity of Opeth's music: "I don't see the point of playing in a band and going just one way when you can do everything. It would be impossible for us to play just death metal; that is our roots, but we are now a mishmash of everything, and not purists to any form of music. It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going."

Alright. Well I still wouldn't be too sure that they'll never make/play metal anymore.
I don't think the whole thing is about decisions. It's more about feelings. Music happens, it's not pre-decided

We know that at some point Åkerfeldt discovered progressive rock and folk music, and naturally it had big impact on the sound of the band.
He did discover this music, and he's had that sound since the band's beginning and now he has moved on.

You can also say that Steve Wilson had a big part in changing Opeth. He influenced en encouraged them immensely, and was an important example in their new direction.
I don't think I could be truely satisfied with PT without blaming them (at least a bit) for a change in Opeth's, if I would not like that change.

I for one welcome the change, if it is a new direction so be it... even if it isn't "metal" it is still a good record, Akerfeldt is a good musician and I've enjoyed everything he's done so far, it will be an interesting journey. This hasn't happened with other bands. I don't like Therion's "weak" moments for instance, but Opeth's are just so... diverse and interesting for a lack of a better word that it is hard not to at the very least respect the musicianship.

Don't get me wrong, I think Heritage is great. However, I don't want more albums like it. I'd like it to be like a Damnation sort of thing, they did that as a breather, and got back to the Metal after. It just doesn't seem that likely this time.

I'm trying to get to know of Opeth, because of time problems, it has been a hard task to achieve. But yesterday I finally listened to their debut, Orchid, in its entirety and it was a pretty cool record (although I don't like the harsh vocals). Looking forward to the other albums.

I suggest you check out:
-Still Life - It has about an equal amount of harsh and clean vocals. It's a concept album with an interesting story.
-Blackwater Park - It has their best song (title track). Majority of vocals are harsh though.
-Damnation - Has only clean vocals. Most of the people compare it to Heritage, but IMO it's very different. Older Opeth albums mostly had a mix of heavier death metal sections and calm acoustic interludes. This album sounds like those interludes.
-Watershed - Has 7 songs of which only 3 have harsh vocals.
-Heritage - Progressive rock album, no metal, no double bass, no growls etc. I think that this album sucks, but I don't like progressive rock. Since you like it, you'll probably enjoy it :p

Heritage DOES NOT suck. Had it been done by any other band it'd be praised, but since they've pissed off legions of death metal diehards, "it sucks". It's a good album worth checking out.

Back