Opening nominations for the GREATEST METAL SONG CUP - Submissions due July 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, Loosey, thank you for this opportunity - my wife is not a member of the forum, but I want her input on this, so every other evening or so we sit down after the kids are tucked in while she is painting and we listen to various songs I'd like to nominate. I value her opinions on the songs I'm deciding between and her input is really priceless.

It's just another really great mutual experience that we have in the 12+ years we've been together. I love it.

(also gonna send my list somewhat later because of this, but I'm sure you'll understand)

Last edited:
We're just going by tracklists, I get some songs feel inseparable but I'm already looking at 388 songs nominated from Maidenfans alone, so some level of reduction of complexity is required.

I'm on vacation for a few more days, but a big thanks to:

@Mosh @DJ James @The Dissident @srfc @Shmoolikipod @MindRuler @Spambot @MrKnickerbocker @Perun @KidInTheDark666 @Kalata @Jer @Stardust @____no5 @The Sentient @Magnus @Confeos who have all sent in lists so far. I had 25 for the GMAC and I think we can beat that here.

I'll keep noms open roughly until the end of July, which gives me August to put the game together for launch, but I'll give lots of warning before I close them.

Awesome LC. Take your time, this game is gonna be great. This game, or the nomination process atleast, is one of those rare times where the things I participate in online cross over into the real world. I've been talking with friends and people I work with about this game. Excited to see what songs got nominated and to see how far some of my own songs go.

Do you have a finite number of songs in mind that this cup would start with?
However many get nominated, I will figure it out.

There are 632 List songs, but I expect there is significant overlap between Maidenfans and the lists.

I'm thinking it will go like this:

Single elimination entry for songs with low amounts of noms, to determine their position in the pools, likely based on genre or band.
Large pool stage with round robins that reduce the amount of songs to something manageable, probably 128.
Double elimination tournament to determine the winner of the Greatest Metal Song Cup.

Awesome LC. Take your time, this game is gonna be great. This game, or the nomination process atleast, is one of those rare times where the things I participate in online cross over into the real world. I've been talking with friends and people I work with about this game. Excited to see what songs got nominated and to see how far some of my own songs go.
I still talk about the GMAC with people. Hopefully this is as exciting and long lasting.

Hi everyone, the last day for submissions will be July 30th.

Please get me your lists by the end of day July 30th, so that I can begin preparing the game.

We're just going by tracklists, I get some songs feel inseparable but I'm already looking at 388 songs nominated from Maidenfans alone, so some level of reduction of complexity is required.

I'm on vacation for a few more days, but a big thanks to:

@Mosh @DJ James @The Dissident @srfc @Shmoolikipod @MindRuler @Spambot @MrKnickerbocker @Perun @KidInTheDark666 @Kalata @Jer @Stardust @____no5 @The Sentient @Magnus @Confeos who have all sent in lists so far. I had 25 for the GMAC and I think we can beat that here.

I'll keep noms open roughly until the end of July, which gives me August to put the game together for launch, but I'll give lots of warning before I close them.

Hold on, how come @Night Prowler is not on the list? He was one of the first to draft a list, I even made a Playlist in Apple Music with his selections and that was end of April! Awesome selection by the way.

NP, hurry up!

Yeah, I only shared a draft a while ago, but a few days ago I sent the complete list. You'll see it in the game. Can't wait!

Ah it wasn’t the final one what I got? Quite elaborate, I still have it one my phone, learnt many new things.
Mine is boring there are 2 Greek songs and a couple of others that people may not know but will probably appreciate. The bulk of the list are just classics though.

It's not that different, I only switched over some songs with the stuff I discovered since I created the draft.

Fuck's sake, I'm down to 28 songs and I don't know how to whittle it down more, wifey'll probably help me with one other, but man, it's tough.

Anyway, I decided to go fully subjective - stuff I love and replay often. I didn't want to include a lot of stuff "for posterity's sake", because they are great, famous, important, should be included, because reasons, even though I don't listen to the band much anymore.

I wonder what wifey would have picked if she was participating completely on her own - a lot of it would be probably substantially different :D

So far there are only 2 bands I have three songs for (Nightwish and Opeth), the rest all has 2 or less. Also, with one exception (Turilli), no two songs are from a single album.

Hardest was picking the songs for bands which are mostly "album bands" for me - some of my favourite bands overall were near impossible to represent in this way.

This meme was actually not connected to the cup nominations at all, but agree it's funny in this context.

As for Nightwish, even though she always found them too cheesy, I now have actually more NW songs in the list thanks to her input.

Also, she surprised me with:
- her preference of Hansen over Weikath in Helloween,
- her "don't you dare delete the last Borknagar song, what's wrong with you?",
- her "I don't know how you managed to pick just three Opeth songs, I couldn't" and
- her "your Dream Theater picks are too soft, I'd balance it with Dark Eternal Night or something".

Hardest was picking the songs for bands which are mostly "album bands" for me - some of my favourite bands overall were near impossible to represent in this way.
I get it, that's why I didn't pick a single Ayreon song. Their best songs wouldn't work for someone who never heard them before, as they wouldn't have the album's context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back