Opening nominations for the GREATEST METAL SONG CUP - Submissions due July 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it this way. 49% of the songs that weren't nominated more than once are going to get to group. Anything that gets to group is guaranteed 5 games. A lot of the 2 or 3x noms aren't going to make it out. Some dark horses have a chance to get to the knockout round, and since it's double elimination, all of those songs are guaranteed two more appearances.

I absolutely forwent the idea of "objectively great metal songs" - precisely as I promised - my list was wholly subjective and consisted only of songs that I personally love and listen to often.

(which means no Metallica, no Priest, no Sabbath, even - I wanted to balance the expected onslaught of "Rainbath" songs in the cup with some Ozzy-era picks, but in the end I picked bands I listen to more)

That said,
which if you know me, often aren't the most popular songs.

despite being one of this forum's most prominent contrarians, I'd actually argue that a lot of the songs I've picked are indeed quite popular - just probably not the first/obvious choice; the same goes for the bands in question.

All in all, I'd say I have about 5 "weird" choices at most and the selection of the rest is quite easy to explain/understand.

despite being one of this forum's most prominent contrarians, I'd actually argue that a lot of the songs I've picked are indeed quite popular - just probably not the first/obvious choice; the same goes for the bands in question.

All in all, I'd say I have about 5 "weird" choices at most and the selection of the rest is quite easy to explain/understand.
I feel similarly to this - it's not Painkiller, but I wouldn't expect my nomination of Beyond the Realms of Death for the Judas Priest song to be particularly left-field.

I was thinking of doing much the same for Devin Townsend, and I ended up coming to the same conclusion. Band, Project, self-titled work... it's all the same in the end.

I get it, that's why I didn't pick a single Ayreon song. Their best songs wouldn't work for someone who never heard them before, as they wouldn't have the album's context.

Just this weekend I've been listening to Hevy Devy a lot and while I was really sad about the fact I didn't nominate anything by him for the cup, I also absolutely wouldn't know what to pick. Albums, sure (and even then it would be more or less a wild guess: Synchestra? Might as well. Wait, Deconstruction? OK, Terria? Can I nominate Ki, is it metal enough?), but a single song?

I was really sad about the fact I didn't nominate anything by him for the cup
I too have made such an error. Let us wallow in sorrow together.

EDIT: Not Hevy Devy, I’m kicking myself for not including Sabaton’s “Ghost Division”, which is a fantastic song but I forgot how good it was and deleted it.

I too have made such an error. Let us wallow in sorrow together.

EDIT: Not Hevy Devy, I’m kicking myself for not including Sabaton’s “Ghost Division”, which is a fantastic song but I forgot how good it was and deleted it.
Ghost Division totally should be in the game. One of the best concert openers I've seen.

Oh fuck, half of the 1031 songs is going to be Sabaton, isn't it? :facepalm:

(I really should have kept in UneXpect and Cattle Decapitation, just to torture you lot a bit as well :p )

Oh fuck, half of the 1031 songs is going to be Sabaton, isn't it? :facepalm:

(I really should have kept in UneXpect and Cattle Decapitation, just to torture you lot a bit as well :p )
I don’t think they’ll be nearly as present as they might’ve been five years ago. I didn’t submit any of their songs, that’s why I’m kicking myself over not including “Ghost Division” now that I’ve revisited The Art of War and realized it’s still a great album and that song is a perfect distillation of Sabaton’s ability to write an anime intro in a tight, machine gun power metal style.

The preliminary tree work is complete and can be viewed here:

Next up is post formatting, and then I'll be ready to launch. Like the GMAC, each update will have several games.

Edit: Note, I don't care if the songs aren't in their exact genre. It was done to ensure similar song types get a chance in the group stage (IE, that all black metal or folk metal can't be eliminated before group).

Next up is post formatting, and then I'll be ready to launch. Like the GMAC, each update will have several games.

Edit: Note, I don't care if the songs aren't in their exact genre. It was done to ensure similar song types get a chance in the group stage (IE, that all black metal or folk metal can't be eliminated before group).
Not sure if intentional but Matches 65 and 55 both have UFO "Too Hot To Handle"

Well, first of all, thank you very much, to quote Blade Runner, "you've done a man's job, sir." It looks absolutely insane.

I think that only one song's missing from my list, but seeing the rest there, it made me weirdly happy. Go, little ones, go and fight!

Second of all, this is already looking pretty interesting. Also, my sincere thanks to all those that covered the other Opeth songs I wanted to nominate.
September's nearly here, so all I need is more cowbell Opeth.

Huge, congratulations LC

I think that only one song's missing from my list, but seeing the rest there, it made me weirdly happy. Go, little ones, go and fight!
What song?

Edit: never mind, I found and corrected it. I even found a very reasonable matchup to toss it into by way of apology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back