Opening nominations for the GREATEST METAL SONG CUP - Submissions due July 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is also my preference and I thought it was the overwhelming norm, not the exception.

Yeah, she doesn't follow Helloween or their members, I meant she likes Halloween (the song) much more than Keeper of the Seven Keys (the song). I expected her to pick Weiki's epic because it's poppier and she's not primarily a metalhead.

OTOH, I for example probably like Keeper 2 more than 1 overall, even though it was mostly written by Weiki and 1 by Hansen. I'm also more of a fan of Helloween in general than Gamma Ray, so I might be also somewhat of an exception to the overwhelming norm.

Yeah, she doesn't follow Helloween or their members, I meant she likes Halloween (the song) much more than Keeper of the Seven Keys (the song). I expected her to pick Weiki's epic because it's poppier and she's not primarily a metalhead.

OTOH, I for example probably like Keeper 2 more than 1 overall, even though it was mostly written by Weiki and 1 by Hansen. I'm also more of a fan of Helloween in general than Gamma Ray, so I might be also somewhat of an exception to the overwhelming norm.

I thought so. I like part 1 (much) better too.

Nominations are now closed. There are 1031 songs to reduce to just one Greatest Metal Song. Here's the rough structure:

267 songs will qualify automatically for the group stage for being voted on by two of our sources (several lists, some extremely dubious, that I found online, and our 26 nominating Maidenfans.

There are 373 spots remaining in the massive group stage, which the remaining 764 songs will qualify for by means of a single elimination qualifying match. 18 of the matches will necessarily have 3 songs.

In order to create the 373 matches, I'll assign songs to categories based on genre and randomize them. This will ensure that we get lots of variety in the game.

640 songs will reach the group stage, and each group will have 10 games. The top 2 songs of each 5 song group will go on to the group stage. The 256 songs in the group stage will then begin a double elimination tournament. Once a song has lost twice, it's knocked out.

The last song standing will be the Greatest Metal Song (excluding Iron Maiden and Iron Maiden adjacent songs)!

Edit: This is gonna take a loooooooong fucking time.

In some cases (thank god not always) I proposed songs due to their status /historicality instead of which is my favorite. For example Painkiller is not even in my top 5 in Judas Priest catalogue, yet I went for it.
In Metallica I took different approach as I didn’t list Master of Puppets :D

In some cases (thank god not always) I proposed songs due to their status /historicality instead of which is my favorite. For example Painkiller is not even in my top 5 in Judas Priest catalogue, yet I went for it.
In Metallica I took different approach as I didn’t list Master of Puppets :D

I nominated songs that I wanted to expose people to rather than what I think are the 25 best non-Maiden songs. I figure those 25 (whatever they may be, I havent ever thought that deeply about it) will probably be nominated anyway.

I nominated songs that I wanted to expose people to rather than what I think are the 25 best non-Maiden songs. I figure those 25 (whatever they may be, I havent ever thought that deeply about it) will probably be nominated anyway.

Yes I wanted to do that too, problem is I'm not so much into metal the last 30 years so it's only 5 or 6 songs that I may introduce. The rest are songs that everyone should know.

As a rule I had one song per group and in the case of Metallica & Diamond Head I've chosen songs unlikely to be chosen by others, so that's something. I should have done the same for other known bands, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back