Olympic Games

I live in the US now, but I grew up in Brazil. Until I moved the US a few years ago I didn't even realize there was such a thing as Winter Olympics.

Until someone figures out how to play soccer/footbal on ice (or snow), I'll just save my excitement and expectation for the World Cup this summer.

[quote name='macunaima' date='Feb 15 2006, 08:27 PM' post='129017'
Until someone figures out how to play soccer/footbal on ice (or snow),
[/quote]

We did that in school in Canada. We called it "Snow Soccer" [img src="style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":p" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129016:date=Feb 15 2006, 07:26 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 15 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]129016[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Cool Runnings, a 1993 film based on a true story.[/quote]
I know. Why do you think I mentioned it? :: I watched the film during the Christmas holidays. Hilarious.

I'm waiting for the men's hockey games. I'm rooting for Canada, however Russia has a VERY good team and might win gold. All in all VERy exciting, all the other sports are just filler [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

I'm really not that interested but I sometimes watch the hockey games if I come across one. Due to my split nationality I support both Sweden and Czech Republic but I'm not very bothered about it.

I did watch Sweden's game against Russia today though, and I'm sad to say it went entirely the wrong way [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

then shouldn't you support Slovakia as well? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

I'm rooting for team GB in everything...

And Sweden in the women's Curling... because of the Hammerfall thing [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129073:date=Feb 16 2006, 06:50 PM:name=Shadow)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Feb 16 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]129073[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I support both Sweden and Czech Republic
[/quote]
[!--quoteo(post=129076:date=Feb 16 2006, 07:04 PM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Feb 16 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]129076[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
then shouldn't you support Slovakia as well? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]
[/quote]
You know, Onhell, these have been two separate countries for quite a while now. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

Up the Czech 'n' Slovaks! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Slovakia's actually doing really well. They beat the Russians 5-3, a startling upset. I think it's because Zdeno Chara eats players who oppose him.

I didn't know the Slovaks could be so dangerous... Well I had some idea, but I just couldn't get my head around it! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129091:date=Feb 16 2006, 08:44 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 16 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]129091[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You know, Onhell, these have been two separate countries for quite a while now. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[/quote]
You know, Maverik, under the vast scope of history 12 years isn't exactly "a while" and not to mention all the players playing for those countries were all born in "Czechoslovakia". [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] talk about torn alliegences

[!--quoteo(post=129112:date=Feb 17 2006, 12:43 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Feb 17 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]129112[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
12 years isn't exactly "a while"
[/quote]
In a lifetime it is, I think.

And anyway, ask a Slovak if he feels Czech, or a Czech if he feels Slovak. Or do they still feel Czechoslovak? I doubt it, but you never know. ::

Not really, Onhell. Czechoslovakia was one of the post-WW1 false nations created by the various peace treaties, much like Yugoslavia. The Slovaks and the Czechs fought their share of wars over the years before they were absorbed by the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the late 1700s early 1800s. They just weren't as pissed off at each other as the Serbs and the Croats and the Bosnians.

They have their own language, their own culture, their own branch of the Church. So they are quite different nations that broke apart as soon as they could.

Well, can't argue with that, now can I? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] Jolly good show

[!--quoteo(post=129121:date=Feb 17 2006, 02:49 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Feb 17 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]129121[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Kind of like asking someone from Congo if he feels Congoan or Zaire...an?
[/quote]

Actually, the Congolese will most likely tell you he's a Kuba, Lunda, Luba, Yaka, Teke, Uterera or whatever else is dwelling there.

Sorry [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128995:date=Feb 15 2006, 03:32 AM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Feb 15 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]128995[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Perun is a kraut, a jerry, a hun, a bosch.

National pride hasn't really done his country many favours
[/quote]

*quickly changes avatar* [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The Winter Games don't really bother me... I watch the Summer Games, though.

But Germany is doing pretty well in this year's games.

Oh and I hate Sauerkraut [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129174:date=Feb 17 2006, 10:36 PM:name=TheTrooper666)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheTrooper666 @ Feb 17 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]129174[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Oh and I hate Sauerkraut [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]
[/quote]
God, yeah! It's absolutely horrible!

Sauerkraut is one of the worst crimes against nature. Right after short-haired women.

[!--quoteo(post=129204:date=Feb 17 2006, 09:09 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 17 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]129204[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sauerkraut is one of the worst crimes against nature. Right after short-haired women.
[/quote]

I must agree. Short hair should only be permitted on lesbians. It'd give us a quick way to tell which ones are off limits without asking too many personal questions.

I love that my girlfriend has hair down to her waist ::

Back