Olympic Games

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
Well?
Is anyone even paying attention to the Olympic Games this time around? I watched the first 5 minutes of the Women's Hockey, Canada vs. Italy. In those 5 minutes, Canada scored 3 goals and caused two Italians to be carried off the ice. I turned off the TV and got some beer.

What sports do you hope your country to do well in?

For Canada, I think we'll be getting gold or silver in Women's Hockey (It's always Canada and USA), and at least *some* medal in men's Hockey.
Men's curling is looking good as well, but that's not unexpected

[!--quoteo(post=128950:date=Feb 14 2006, 01:11 AM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Feb 14 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]128950[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
In those 5 minutes, Canada scored 3 goals and caused two Italians to be carried off the ice.[/quote]

It could've been worst. At the olympic winter game at Chamonix, the canadian hockey team played 5 games and they scored over 100 goals!!! Their worst game was a 6-1 win against the US.

I occasionally watch it a bit, but I'm not the person who really enjoys winter sports. I would watch hockey if I stumbled across it by accident though.

Since I don't have a country, I can't cheer for it [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128964:date=Feb 14 2006, 12:57 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 14 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]128964[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Since I don't have a country, I can't cheer for it[/quote]Poor Perun [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
The Olympic games are just a parade of nationalism/patriotism, then?

[!--quoteo(post=128967:date=Feb 14 2006, 02:03 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 14 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]128967[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Poor Perun [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
The Olympic games are just a parade of nationalism/patriotism, then?
[/quote]

No, I'm not saying that (in fact, I always love to watch the opening parade of nations). It's just that I don't identify myself with any country. So, in a way I cheer for none, and in a way I cheer for all.

Cheer for Perunia. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I have very little interest in the Winter Olympics, and it's hard to support your country when the only medal they have a chance of winning is in the Women's Curling (possibly the most boring 'sport' ever invented).

[!--quoteo(post=128969:date=Feb 14 2006, 02:30 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 14 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]128969[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Cheer for Perunia. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]

The only chance for a Medal Perunia would have in these Olympics would be for coughing ::

The games are being shown on BBC2 but like most people in Britain/Ireland, I couldn't care less. I don't like the summer olympics and the winter olympics just seem as boring.

I did watch Top Gear the other night when they did their version of the Winter Olympics. That's probably the closest I'll get to sampling some of the sports [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128984:date=Feb 14 2006, 09:51 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 14 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]128984[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I did watch Top Gear the other night
[/quote]
Wow! A Jeremy Clarkson fan!

I personally think that car journalists are a lower form of life, close to the amoeba and sports commentators, but I really like Clarkson. I don't give a monkeys about what he's saying, but he's ever so funny! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128968:date=Feb 14 2006, 02:26 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 14 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]128968[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It's just that I don't identify myself with any country. So, in a way I cheer for none, and in a way I cheer for all.
[/quote]
That is the most brilliant thing I've ever read [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] . Which country do you come from though, at least physically?

[!--quoteo(post=128985:date=Feb 14 2006, 09:02 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 14 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]128985[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Wow! A Jeremy Clarkson fan!

I personally think that car journalists are a lower form of life, close to the amoeba and sports commentators, but I really like Clarkson. I don't give a monkeys about what he's saying, but he's ever so funny! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I don't really like his obnoxious personality or sneering sense of humor. I just find him ridiculously over the top and I laugh at him, not with him :: . Top Gear is a decent programme but the best bits are the crazy challenges or the races. I despise the reviewing of cars part, James May is so boring ::

[!--quoteo(post=128987:date=Feb 14 2006, 10:08 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 14 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]128987[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I despise the reviewing of cars part, James May is so boring ::
[/quote]
Cars ARE boring. I can't understand that some people can idolise a mere means of transport and discuss cars for hours on end. Ah well, I suppose that if we let train-spotters live, we could also have mercy on those retarded car-enthusiasts. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128988:date=Feb 14 2006, 09:16 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 14 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]128988[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Cars ARE boring. I can't understand that some people can idolise a mere means of transport and discuss cars for hours on end. Ah well, I suppose that if we let train-spotters live, we could also have mercy on those retarded car-enthusiasts. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Some people have the same views on music [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /] Each man to himself [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

I love the Winter Olympics. Absolutely love them. It's the only time I can get worked up over skiing, or the luge, or curling, even figure skating...

[!--quoteo(post=128988:date=Feb 14 2006, 09:16 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 14 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]128988[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]
It's odd: I'm not interested in cars, but I do find Top Gear fun to watch, and I think Jeremy Clarkson is a bit of a twat but still find him funny! What's going on?!

[!--quoteo(post=128986:date=Feb 14 2006, 10:05 PM:name=SneakySneaky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SneakySneaky @ Feb 14 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]128986[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Which country do you come from though, at least physically?
[/quote]

Germany. Though I was also raised in Pakistan and Canada, so there [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

I find it quite entertaining how an Australian just won a skiing gold considering that place ia bloody desert. Yes, I know there are some mountains in Australia that are tall enough for snow, but I only leanred that today. (A Jamaican Bobsleigh team would be quite insane though.)

I don't really have a passion for any sport apart from Motor Racing, but the Olympics and Winter Olympics are good to watch if there isn't anything else on. The Spped Skating is pretty entertaining too because watching people fall over is always a laugh. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129015:date=Feb 15 2006, 08:15 PM:name=Ascendancy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Feb 15 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]129015[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
A Jamaican Bobsleigh team would be quite insane though.
[/quote]
Cool Runnings, a 1993 film based on a true story.
Cool_Runnings.jpg

Back