OFFICIAL tour thread. SPOILERS inside!

Since the entire album runs 76 minutes I think they will drop three songs. I'm afraid Isle of Avalon will be an easy choice for them to drop - that long proggy part in the middle is lovely, but I am afraid they will think it won't work well live. Also The Man Who Will Be King is likely to be skipped, I think.

My guess for what they'll play:

The Final Frontier*
El Dorado
Coming Home
Starblind
The Talisman
When the Wild Wind Blows

Rod Smallowood would have dropped The Man Who Would Be King from the entire album due to it being too complex, so I doubt it'll be played live. Isle of Avalon's slow parts are perhaps a bit too long for a live environment.  Mother of Mercy just isn't as strong as the rest, though in the past they have played weaker songs live too (Wildest Dreams, The Mercenary...).  The Alchemist is a good song, but I think they'll just play an 80s fast song like The Trooper instead.  On the other hand, El Dorado is already a fixture of the live set, Coming Home just screams to be played live, and The Talisman would probably be very good too if Bruce can manage it live.  Starblind and Wild Wind are probably the strongest tracks on the album, so of course they'll be played live.

As for Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, it would be very unusual to not have the first song on the album start the setlist.  However, I don't think they'll be so adventurous as to have Bruce sing Satellite 15 before the rest of the band enters.  Rather, I would guess they'll leave out Satellite 15, and the riff for The Final Frontier will start straight after the classical music intro à la Wicker Man.

Honestly, I can see Coming Home being on every set they play from here to eternity.

Eddies Wingman said:
I think he meant that dropping Paschendale was a bad choice. I just realized, after reading the opening post, that they actually alternated between Paschendale and Dance of Death for the first few shows, and ended up keeping Dance of Death. Personally I would have kept them both, and dropped No More Lies instead. Still, DoD and NML were two of the highlights of the show in Bergen, in terms of crowd response. The latter was especially well received - maybe the crowd was still on a high after hearing Blood Brothers.

What hurt more when reading the opening post, was to realize that they dropped Brighter Than A Thousand Suns after the first show and replaced it with fucking WRATHCHILD! :mad:

I'm glad I saw the first show in Dallas, I like Wrathchild, but it seems to have been overplayed recently.  I get the wanting to do a shorter rocker in the set, but there area many more to choose from that would be different.

Invader said:
As for Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, it would be very unusual to not have the first song on the album start the setlist.

In the past we've seen a few examples where it did not happen: NOTB, TXF, but in this case, it has to be used as the opener, because it really sets the tone for the album, and it would be fitting for a same role in the concert as well.

For the rest I find Coming Home too sweet (literally) to be used forever. I'm sure it won't happen. Maximum of one tour and that's it.

Isle of Avalon is not too long for live environment. Great atmospheric track with fantastic roles for all guitars.

I like Wrathchild, too. But I could have had Brighter Than A Thousand Suns instead. One of their top 5 songs in the last half of their career ...

(No need to keep using spoiler tags now, btw. I consider going through my posts in this thread and remove them).

I actually hope they play the recording for Satellite 15 and then enter the stage together like in the World Slavery Tour and blast off TFF (song). I know it is not very Maiden and it hasn't been done before in any tour, but they have also never had an intro in the likes of S15.

One song I do hope they play is The Alchemist. Currently My favorite song. I just love the melodies and the feel of that song. It also has Janick written on all of it! :bigsmile:

Yeah, that would be great, it's currently my favourite as well. If they played the Mercenary regularly on BNW tour, why not The Alchemist next year. :)

i liked wrathchild. When they started it in denver it was like a bomb going off. The energy was awesome. It was a perfect way to get the crowd ready for El Dorado. It wouldn't have been that way with thousand suns.

Mosh said:
i think they should do 8 songs instead of the regular 6 so they only have to drop 2 songs. If they drop 4 there is a huge chance they will mostly be long songs. :(
Maybe not because they did the longer songs from DOD on that tour. And on the BNW tour, they did 3 longer songs: Sign Of The Cross, The Clansman, and Dream Of Mirrors.
Hey LC, should pics of the stage still be in spoilers since they're going to use the same stage design next year?

I'm biased since I've already seen them, but even before I saw them I had no problem with pics.  I'm there more for the music than the stage, but I can also understand people get kicks from Maiden's awesome stage sets.  However, that kind of images can be seen on other sites very easily even by accident: I saw the stage several times on the Sonisphere website.*  So, if it comes to a vote, I'd vote no spoilers, at least if it's kept in the tour thread.

*Then again, the fuckers posted Maiden's setlist on the front page of the website as an image two days before the festival, and I was there just to find out about camping arrangements.  Fortunately, I only saw one song before tearing my eyes away.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Which song?  For your sake hopefully it was Iron Maiden ;)

Nope, it was The Wicker Man.  It was probably the worst song that I could find out since it was the opener. :(  But yeah, I expected both Hallowed and Iron Maiden, though I was happily surprised that they didn't play RTTH.

LooseCannon said:
What does the community think?

Have they said that they will use the exact same set design?  I say that since its a separate tour (pre album release vs album support) that its spoiler free until the next tour dates are announced.  Also, I'd be willing to bet that anyone that doesn't want to be spoiled has seen the tour. 

Back