OFFICIAL tour thread. SPOILERS inside!

Re: OFFICIAL tour thread. SPOILERS of ALL kinds await you inside!

Hey everyone, I've lurked on this website for years and have occasionally ventured here into the forums to read some topics.

I went to the show last night and thought I post a review as well as some background information. With spoiler tags of course!

First and foremost I'm 20 years old. I didn't start listening to Iron Maiden until about 2005, so I would definitely be considered as a new fan. For about three years they were definitely my favorite band. I enjoyed everything from Iron Maiden all the way up until their most recent album. I even appreciate the albums during the Blaze era.

This was the first chance that I have had to see Iron Maiden as I live in Oklahoma. I was going to go to their Somewhere Back in Time Tour in Albuquerque, New Mexico but unfortunately it was on the night I graduated. So of course that was a no go. I was very excited to see this concert and even more excited that it was the first of the tour. With it being the first concert, I knew I didn't have to worry about spoilers beforehand and could watch the concert and be surprised just like everyone else.

I missed Dream Theaters set because I was waiting in line outside the venue to buy a shirt. I ended up getting the Iron Maiden shirt, but they had about 10 different shirts overall if I recall correctly. I eventually made my way to my seat and sat down just as Dream Theater left the stage (this was around 8:15). Maiden took the stage around 9:00 pm and of course opened with The Wicker Man; which is definitely one of my top three songs from their new albums. I'm not going to waste my time going over every song in the set because everyone here knows the set-list. As a new fan and this being my first chance to see them, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Was I disappointed they didn't play older songs? Sure, but I can always go see them again, can't I? I really enjoy the newer songs so I really loved the chance to see The Wicker Man, Paschendale, Blood Brothers, Ben Breeg, No More Lies, Wildest Dreams (screw you guys, I like this song!  :p) and Brave New World. I particularly don't care for These Colours Don't Run or Brighter Than A Thousand Suns that much but that's a relatively minor complaint, IMO. Set-list wise I can't really be disappointed. Iron Maiden put on a hell of a show and getting a taste of the older songs at the end has me begging for more.

The band sounded great. I was EXTREMELY impressed with Bruce's voice, he was top notch the entire evening. There were only a couple of times his microphone went off or he sang a lyric a note early but nonetheless he was incredible. One thing I loved about this concert was the clarity and crispness of the guitar solos. At the AC/DC and Metallica concerts I attended they were played so loud I couldn't hear the individual notes like I did here.

The stage design is pretty cool, but nothing spectacular. It's going to be hard to beat their last stage design they did but it's not an eyesore by any means at all. As for the crowd it was mostly older people. Low point of the concert was having the people in front of me actually sit down and start messing with their phones when the band played No More Lies. After they played Brave New World, they left.  :blink: This almost made me think for a second that most people were sorely disappointed by the concert, but then I looked around and still saw a sea of people present and rocking. The place really went nuts when Fear of the Dark was played and subsequent classics such as Number of the Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

After the concert I heard a few people bitching about not enough older material, but the general consensus was that it was a good show. I ate at Denny's afterwards with my friends and a bunch of people from the concert walked in. Mostly everyone said that they enjoyed the newer material. We all agreed that seeing Iron Maiden play live is an experience no matter what. Ii you're going to bitch about old stuff not be played go right ahead, that's your loss. I came to have a good time and they delivered, so I have no regrets.

I hope you guys enjoyed my review. If you have any specific questions about the concert I would be happy to comment. I'll do my best to check this site over the next few days.

fonzbear2000 said:
Ya, but wasn't the USA leg of the Early Days tour on Ozzfest where Maiden only did 10 songs or did they have some off nights where they headlined?

The Denver show was an off-Ozzfest date, with Mastodon and Rob Zombie opening. Maiden played their full set.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The Denver show was an off-Ozzfest date, with Mastodon and Rob Zombie opening. Maiden played their full set.
    mastadon was there? i just remember zombie

Yes, Mastodon was first and played a short set, about 30 minutes. You must have arrived afterwards.

Wow, El Dorado is a whole nother song live! It has much more power and groove, at least in that good quality vid posted above. Never mind that Bruce sounds better live as well. IDK what's the deal with his voice on the studio recording...

Was this Dream Theater's setlist?

As I Am
A Rite of Passage
Home
Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Pull Me Under

Are there any videos of them floating around?

Here's a bit of a shocker:
DOORS: 6 PM
DREAM THEATER: 7:30-8:20 PM
IRON MAIDEN: 8:50-11 PM

That means Maiden played OVER 2 hours!

gulranek said:
Was this Dream Theater's setlist?

As I Am
A Rite of Passage
Home
Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Pull Me Under

Are there any videos of them floating around?

JackAttack said:
It's fucking Dallas, that's the problem. Once they get to Chi-Town, New York and LA it'll be different.

Maybe i have to go to Usa to see Maiden,i will be able to see the show in the first row and jump without the fear of being crushed.In 1999 i was at Iron Maiden+Megadeth in La cubierta  Madrid at the first row,and i was able to see only 1 Megadeth song,a guy nearly jump on me,and i went to see the show with my friends at the seats.The show was sold out,and when the show was sold out the sold AGAIN 600 more tickets.The people where watching the show in the bathrooms entrances! and people where hanging from the walls!.Was the most crazy show ive ever been (ive see iron maiden 10 times and never like this).

Aces high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHFfDH-3E5A

The trooper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3btwM2ByQ

wrathchild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmw6v0lb ... re=related

rudolf1978 said:
Maybe i have to go to Usa to see Maiden,i will be able to see the show in the first row and jump without the fear of being crushed.In 1999 i was at Iron Maiden+Megadeth in La cubierta  Madrid at the first row,and i was able to see only 1 Megadeth song,a guy nearly jump on me,and i went to see the show with my friends at the seats.The show was sold out,and when the show was sold out the sold AGAIN 600 more tickets.The people where watching the show in the bathrooms entrances! and people where hanging from the walls!.Was the most crazy show ive ever been (ive see iron maiden 10 times and never like this).

Aces high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHFfDH-3E5A

The trooper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3btwM2ByQ

wrathchild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmw6v0lb ... re=related
OMG! A PRO video show from the Ed Huntour!!! I MUST try to find it on DVD!

Theres no DVD,only this 3 songs because it was recorded by spanish tv show.I will always remember this show,because of the reunion an because the people were out of fucking control.Check the videos and you will realize of what im talking about.

It looks like this tour may feature the most backdrops ever used during a Maiden show-

Wicker Man
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
El Dorado
Paschendale
Breeg
These Colours Don't Run
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
Brave New World
Iron Maiden
Number of the Beast

all have different drapes from the pics/youtube clips I've seen.

Great set-list!

Hope they'll release a live album or something from this tour!

I hear that they will record a show from this tour and it will be released next year.

Photos of Maiden from the June 6th Dallas show...

I shot these for Pegasus News if anyone's interested...
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/jun/10/photo-iron-maiden/

It was pretty packed in the pit, at least 15 other photogs, 2 or 3 videographers, and about 5 security... but it was an awesome show! (Well, the three songs I got to stay for!) Nothing like having Steve and Bruce hovering DIRECTLY above you! All the guys kept me on my feet, I almost filled up three 8gb cards for just three songs... almost 900 shots altogether!

Hope everyone likes the photos!
Danny

Overall, I am happy with the setlist, though I really would have liked to see Montsegur live.
This will be my third show (Michigan in July).  Saw them before during AMOLAD and at a small club in Detroit (Harpo's) back during the Blaze era.  Actually got to touch Steve's hightops from the floor in front of the stage during that show.

Did Steve's shoes feel awesome?  Like touching a small part of God?

I'm extremely curious to see if they switch anything up tonight. Like many others, I put together a playlist of the set,
and I'm hoping that they switch out Wildest Dreams and No More Lies. I like NML usually, but I just don't think it works well in this setlist.

Come on Jack, that was your freebie.

Back