Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Babo 91 said:
isle of avalon sounds better half a step higher imo.
I thought that one and the Alchemist sounded good like that but that was it

Don Dokken said:
I thought that one and the Alchemist sounded good like that but that was it

WTWWB sounds horrible like that. bruces vocals sound much smoother during the chorus on avalon though

Yeah, I don't like any of those tweaked versions.  They sound unnatural.

2 months after release and I'm still spinning this album at least once a day.  Great stuff.

I'm still sleeping to the album every night and trying to listen to it whenever possible during the day.

Current highlights:

- the riff after the solos in Starblind
- the instrumental section in WTWWB that includes H's and Dave's solos
- Bruce's singing throughout The Talisman and I'm really digging the acoustic opening now.
- really enjoying TFF. It may be a simple track...but so are classics such as Flight of Icarus and even NOTB.
- main highlight is the soloing throughout the album. From H's on TFF to Jan's on WTWWB I look forward to hearing each one every time.

The order of songs is perfect in my mind, but another option may have been to open with Sat 15...Isle of Avalon then have TFF come in at second. Would have created an epicly lengthy opening to the album similar TXF with a The Rainmakeresque follow up. Just a thought....but the official order is cool.

I am still very impressed (and even a bit amazed) by Adrians solos. So many strong ones. Both in build-up and execution.

Forostar said:
I am still very impressed (and even a bit amazed) by Adrians solos. So many strong ones. Both in build-up and execution.

His final frontier solo destroys any other solo played in the 21st century.

Babo 91 said:
His final frontier solo destroys any other solo played in the 21st century.
I don't get all the hype about H's solo in the title track. It's good but  not as great as some of his other solos. I'll have to revisit it.

I think Dave's best solo on the album is in Starblind because it's crisp and loud and to the point, it feels like a counter-balance to Adrian's soloing throughout the song. I.e. Adrian's sound is much more subdued and "quieter", or "backgroundish", and then Dave comes in for a short burst, louder and more in the foreground.

There are more but these come to mind now:
Adrian's solos in Coming Home and WTWWB are very, very cool. So melodic, and rhythmic too.

On first listen I thought it was a bit samey all the way through, then on headphones with the sound cranked right up I experienced properly the raucous guitar and Bruce's subtle phrasings, and realised that it's actually a welcome addition to the Maiden canon - even When the Wild Wind Blows (which on first listen made me cringe). The only criticism I  have, is that they should have made use of Bruce's lyric writing skills more.  Quite often the lines are jammed with too many words, like they just couldn't stand to leave them out and make it scan better - and, frankly, sound better.

BTW - I think this may have been said before, but on the back of the CD sleeve is Bruce waving goodbye?

I see.
Here is how it slots into my list:

1. No Prayer for the Dying (1990)
2. Somewhere in Time (1986)
3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
4. Brave New World (2000)
5. Fear of the Dark (1992)
6. Virtual XI (1998)
7. The X Factor (1995)
8. A Matter of Life and Death (2006)
9. Powerslave (1984)
10. The Final Frontier (2010)
11. Killers (1981)
12. Iron Maiden (1980)
13. The Number of the Beast (1982)
14. Piece of Mind (1983)
15. Dance of Death (2003)

Nearly 4 months later and I'm still listening to this album a good 4-5 times a week.  It hasn't gotten old and still feels fresh and exciting to me.  :edmetal:

1. Piece of Mind
2. Powerslave
3. Somewhere in Time
4. The Final Frontier
5. Iron Maiden
6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
7. A Matter of Life and Death
8. The X Factor
9. The Number of the Beast
10. Dance of Death
11. Brave New World
12. Killers
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Virtual XI
15. No Prayer for the Dying

TFF was fifth on my last list now it's fourth.

Interesting that you have Piece of Mind at the top of your list. It's good for the band though, if we all differ in our favourites.

Back