Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

You know, the word "progressive" has been thrown around when it comes to the last few albums, but this really is the first one that sounds truly progressive to me.  Brave New World, Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death were proggy in the sense of long songs; but most of those were fairly straightforward with somewhat obvious "from the get go" arranging. 

The Final Frontier has moments that really feel out of left field but very much work within the framework of the song.  Like the "Mother Goddess" part of Avalon or the breakdown on Starblind or pretty much all of Man Who Would Be King.  That's probably why it's taken me a longer time to digest this album.  This album seems to marry the long song prog with a good deal of "didn't expect that there" prog weirdness.  And I think that's what will keep this album fresh for a good long while.

Went through the album several more times and I'm still in the same place, TFF, El Dorado, The Alchemist, and WTWWB, are all jumbled at the top, Coming Home, MoM, The Talisman, and TMWWBK inhabit the middle ground, while IoA, and and Starblind bring up the rear.

That being said though, they are all really good tunes.  I don't think there is a stinker on the album - it is truly a work of art.

Privateer454 said:
Went through the album several more times and I'm still in the same place, TFF, El Dorado, The Alchemist, and WTWWB, are all jumbled at the top, Coming Home, MoM, The Talisman, and TMWWBK inhabit the middle ground, while IoA, and and Starblind bring up the rear.

That being said though, they are all really good tunes.  I don't think there is a stinker on the album - it is truly a work of art.

Starblind last?  Can somebody ban this guy?  ;)

We don't ban people here just for making no sense, do we? Only if they don't make sense and at the same time behave like dickheads.

If just making no sense was a ban criterion, God help us all :ninja:

The big difference to me about TFF when compared with AMOLAD is that I have clear favorite songs on here.  AMOLAD was good from start to finish, but didn't really have stand out songs to me.  That's part of the appeal I guess.

TFF has both Starblind and Isle of Avalon that are clear high, high, highlites for me.

p4warrior said:
Starblind last?  Can somebody ban this guy?  ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
We don't ban people here just for making no sense, do we? Only if they don't make sense and at the same time behave like dickheads.

If just making no sense was a ban criterion, God help us all :ninja:

Wow.  Like I said before, I get that I seem to be in the minority on this, and to each there own, but I still just don't feel it with those two songs like I do the others.

Privateer454 said:
Wow.  Like I said before, I get that I seem to be in the minority on this, and to each there own, but I still just don't feel it with those two songs like I do the others.

Hey man, no offense intended.  Everyone is entitled to his opinion; I was just messing with you.  Up the irons  :rocker:

p4warrior said:
Hey man, no offense intended.  Everyone is entitled to his opinion; I was just messing with you.  Up the irons  :rocker:

No, no.  No offense taken or implied.  That's one of the beauties of Maiden - so much to choose from that there is something for everyone. :ok:

Donner said:
The big difference to me about TFF when compared with AMOLAD is that I have clear favorite songs on here.  AMOLAD was good from start to finish, but didn't really have stand out songs to me.  That's part of the appeal I guess.

TFF has both Starblind and Isle of Avalon that are clear high, high, highlites for me.

While there were a couple clear favorites of mine on AMOLAD, I think this rings pretty true of TFF as well.

Donner said:
You know, the word "progressive" has been thrown around when it comes to the last few albums, but this really is the first one that sounds truly progressive to me.  Brave New World, Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death were proggy in the sense of long songs; but most of those were fairly straightforward with somewhat obvious "from the get go" arranging. 

The Final Frontier has moments that really feel out of left field but very much work within the framework of the song.  Like the "Mother Goddess" part of Avalon or the breakdown on Starblind or pretty much all of Man Who Would Be King.  That's probably why it's taken me a longer time to digest this album.  This album seems to marry the long song prog with a good deal of "didn't expect that there" prog weirdness.  And I think that's what will keep this album fresh for a good long while.
Yes, for sure. This album took more listens than any other Maiden album for me to fully take it all in and really get to know all of it.

Is it time for me to say this is the best modern Maiden album again? I know I've said it before.... -_-

Here are my early impressions, of the ones I remembered to tell.

1. The solos are a bit different, livelier than some of the more recent albums.  I'm happy with their sound.
2. Choruses really stand out.  Whether listening with head phones or without, they're memorable, catchy without sounding overly polished.
3. When listening with headphones, some of the faster sung lyrics sound a bit awkward, sort of like I said about 'El Dorado' previously.
4. Overall it is a good album, I don't want to give any song particulars until I've had a longer time to listen.

One thing I did notice though.  Has anyone heard the guitar riff on 'Isle of Avalon' between 7th and 8th minute?  To my ears it sounds just the riff at the beginning of 'No More Lies'.

I'm changing the thread title. No need for a spoilers warning anymore. The album is out, after all.

i dont now if it needs to be a new thread but what music do you think should be the next single/videoclip
for me i hope for starblind, but i guess coming home or the alchemist

cidB said:
i dont now if it needs to be a new thread but what music do you think should be the next single/videoclip
for me i hope for starblind, but i guess coming home or the alchemist

Coming Home should be the next single/video if they decide to do one.

Just noticed that there is a Final Frontier album image on the IMC. Does that mean it'll be updated again? I thought it was the end for that place.

stannar_kvar said:
I don't think they will do another one, but I'm pretty sureit would be coming home id they did=)

I'll agree on the first part of your statement.  Maiden has been doing two singles since DOD.  The song most likely has to be short, or can be shortened.  'The Alchemist' is short, but the lyrics do not seem to be fit for radio.  'Coming Home' is a great song, but it contains no chorus, so it is not "radio friendly".  Still Maiden does not need radio. 

Back