Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

I'm currently out of the city on vacation near the North Sea. Today I sat down near the water on a huge river that flows into the sea. I could see the other side, but it was pretty far away and there were big clouds hanging over it, otherwise it was sunny and warm, but a strong wind was going. I just sat there and listened to the album, beginning with Isle Of Avalon. Man. Pure bliss. Looking over the water and watching all the wind wheels turn on the other side, and feeling the atmosphere of the music was the perfect match. I can't think of anything better. :wub:

I just came home from Best Buy and bought the LAST two copies of the album, standard and mission editions.  :yey:

Donner said:
I wish the guitars had a bit more bite to them, but I think the production is a bit fuller than AMOLAD.  I am surprised how less heavy this album is though.

And one final thought as I'm rambling somewhat here- while I can see why they put all the long songs and short songs together, I think the album would flow better had they mixed them up a bit.  Maybe it's just me.
I agree about the order of the songs, i also think that they made a mistake there (not that it takes anything away from the amazing music).

I completely disagree about the guitar sound and general heaviness of the album. The album might be rockier and less dark than AMOLAD but i find the sound heavier and the guitar "fuller" than AMOLAD.

Anyway the more i listen to the album , the more i like it and the amazing....booklet helps bring a feeling of eighties Maiden  B) .I never expected them to surpass AMOLAD but they absolutely did it and released an album that i like it as much as the classic stuff.

johnglen said:
I completely disagree about the guitar sound and general heaviness of the album. The album might be rockier and less dark than AMOLAD but i find the sound heavier and the guitar "fuller" than AMOLAD.

I guess less heavy was the wrong way of saying it.  The guitars just don't seem to cut through to me in the mix like they did on AMOLAD.  On the other hand, the rhythms on AMOLAD were paper thin for the most part so that's the trade off.

I too am enjoying the heck out of this album, each successive spin is better than the last.  Great stuff.
To me, this tracklist would make better album balance even though I can see why they did what the did.

1. Satellite 15
2. The Final Frontier
3. El Dorado
4. The Talisman
5. Mother of Mercy
6. Isle of Avalon
7. Coming Home
8. Starblind
9. The Alchemist
10.  The Man Who Would Be King
11.  When the Wild Wind Blows

I got my vinyl version today, while the mission edition is still on the road... :)

Okay, I've been gone for a while to digest this album.

First listen - Didn't really click with me, to be honest. Mother of Mercy was the only song that clicked with me right away, and I thought that was odd.

I've now listened to the album around 10 times, and like others on here, think it has really turned into a masterpiece of music. Well done, Maiden!

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8 and 8.5/10, respectively) - This intro took me off guard when it started. When I first listened to it, I thought it was good and quite unique, but maybe a tad too long. Listening to it now, I find that it is such a cool intro and it doesn't seem to take as long to start (if that makes any sense). Maybe it's because I know it now. When it transitions into TFF, I feel it could use a bigger punch, but the song is awesome, which is good for such a straight-forward song. The solos section of the song really take the song to a great level. Ever since the reunion, I have loved the intro songs and their solos, and this song is no different. Great way to start the album!

El Dorado (8/10) - I loved this song when it came out. I thought it was just a cool song, and a lot of people complained about Bruce's vocals, but to me, they are fairly vicious sounding throughout the song. Not much to say about this song, though, since most people have listened to this one more than others by now. Usually, when a single song comes out before the album and I listen to it over and over, I just can't listen to it on the album (exactly what happened with Breeg). However, this song is still listened to by me on a regular basis. I love it.

Mother of Mercy (9/10) - The song that blew me away on my first listen, and I still love it. It's not the strongest song on the album, but it just has that Bruce-solo feel to it, and that is automatic goodness for a Bruce fanboy such as myself haha. When he sings, "Wounded lying crying, Bodies moving dying," it is just so cool to listen to. It's hard to describe why I like this song so much, but it just has such a great feel and the chorus is memorable to me. Many have said that Bruce sounds strained on this track, and I disagree. I don't think this is his strongest effort on the album, but I love the way he belts it out. Very fun to listen to, and a pleasant surprise after reading initial reactions.

Coming Home (9/10) - I didn't "get" this song at first. Everyone said how awesome this song was and how the chorus was something special for them. I just didn't feel the same way. Boy, was my first impression dead wrong. I quickly changed my mind around the third time I listened to it. The way Bruce sings, "To Albion's land..." is just fantastic. The solo in this song brings it home in a way that makes this song a special listen in this very diverse album. The underlying guitars during the verses really conjure up a lot of emotions and you can really "feel" the band throughout the song. I'm glad I actually came back to this song and gave it a couple more chances, because it is awesome and quite moving.

The Alchemist (8.5/10) - Another song that I liked right off the bat, but didn't love. It's a great throwback to Maiden of old, and it kind of reminds me of New Frontier. In fact, a lot of parts of this album remind me of Dance of Death (the album). The beginning is probably the weakest part of the song, but it fits well when it's placed in the middle of the song. It has a bigger impact at that point. I love the lyrics of this song, and it is sung brilliantly. To be honest, this song is fun and a great listen. It's one of the songs on the album that you'll listen to to take a break from all of the epics and musical journeys that follow it. I love coming back to this song and just feel like I'm listening to Flash of the Blade again.

Isle of Avalon (10/10) - My first perfect rating on the album goes to the first "epic" of the album. To be honest, I couldn't digest this song at first. I love the way it starts (like 7th Son). However, it didn't quite grab me at first. I can hear bits of Rush in there, and since Rush is my favourite band, I had to go back and listen to it a few more times (obviously). Now, I am mentioning that I had to revisit a lot of the songs, and I just want to point out that I was never going to give up on the album. I always try to digest an album first. Especially a friggin' 76-minute beast like this. Isle of Avalon has an impeccable atmosphere and really packs a punch, which I was happy about. One thing I was worried about when I saw the track lengths was the odds of some of the tracks meandering into nothing. Luckily, this is Iron Maiden, and they slapped me in the face for thinking such a thing. The twists and turns in this song fit extremely well, and allow for a smooth flow. Absolutely brilliant song.

Starblind (10/10) - I wish I could rate this 11/10, but that's just incorrect math, so I have to give it 10. If I could give it 15, I would. This song is spectacular. The lyrics, the musicianship, the brilliant middle section with awesome instrumental pieces, the solos that sound like they were ripped right out of SiT-era Maiden... gah. I'm gushing over this song. At first, I thought it was awkward how Bruce sang the first verses with the music, but I think it fits quite well with the song. At this point, you can tell how I had to re-listen to a lot of these songs haha. There isn't much else to say. Insanely good.

The Talisman (9.5/10) - The only thing that keeps this song from a perfect 10 is the intro. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But, it's just too close to sounding like The Legacy from AMOLAD. Not that it's a bad thing or anything like that. I like it, but I just wish it was a little bit different. The rest of the song is great. Great tempo, great galloping, and the "Weeeeestward the tiiiiiiide!" part is an instant classic part of this album for me. I also love the outro. It has Iron Maiden written all over it. One unique part about this song is the instrumental section and how it starts out. I love the guitar tone that is used as the few lead notes are played over top of the heavier rhythm section. It gives the section a great feel, and then it returns to the galloping to conclude the song. Great, great song.

The Man Who Would Be King (9/10) - This song took a long time to grab me. In fact, it just did. The verses are more classic sounding than the verses on the other songs. In fact, it reminds me a lot of The Thin Line Between Love and Hate from BNW. Very similar sounding, but still different enough to make it fit for this record. The instrumental section is quite unique and I love how both the intro and outro sound. This is one of those songs that scream reunion-era Maiden. It just has that signature sound from the past ten years enveloped into one song. It's not my favourite, but it's still a great, fun listen.

When The Wild Wind Blows (10/10) - What can be said about this track? Really. It's tough to sum up what this track is and how it sounds. It's unique, but has such a Maiden flavour to it. That's what this album is all about. It has different sounds and song structures, but at the end of the day, you know it's Iron Maiden who wrote these songs, and only them could perform these songs the way you're hearing them. This is especially true for WTWWB. A song that has everything, really, except for a galloping section, but it's not really needed here. Instead, you have a mid-tempo song that never overstays its welcome. The lead breaks and rhythm sections of this song keep you on edge, making you wonder where this song is going to go. This song has a phenomenal sound, and you don't hear many metal bands churn out songs like Starblind and WTWWB on the same album. It just doesn't happen (especially for bands on their 15th studio album!). As I write this review, I have a hard time describing this song because it has so many levels. The rest of the album feels like the storm, and this song is like the calm after the storm. It's when you look outside the window and see what's different after what had just happened. WTWWB concludes the album perfectly, and is another lengthy song that feels fresh. I don't know how Iron Maiden can write 10-11 minute songs for many albums and they all have different sounds. I don't know how... but I love it.

This album is special, and it's hard to listen to. I had a tough time with it, and was fairly underwhelmed when I first listened to it. This album is like an orange. You have to peel away the skin, but then you also have to eat the individual orange slices to truly enjoy the orange. Every song on this album is like a slice of the orange. Once you finally peel that damned skin off, you can enjoy the rest and be satisfied at the end.

I still can't believe IM have made an album like this as their fifteenth studio effort. That is beyond incredible. How a band can be so far into their career and make an album like this is beyond my realm of understanding. I've seen mixed reactions for this album, but for me, this band just can't be stopped. Truly a legendary effort from a legendary band.

Man, I must really be in the minority as I fell that Isle of Avalon and Starblind are in the bottom three of the album for me...

The good thing is, that it's a seedless orange with a lot of juice!

Ristifer said:

First listen - Didn't really click with me, to be honest. Mother of Mercy was the only song that clicked with me right away, and I thought that was odd.

I've now listened to the album around 10 times, and like others on here, think it has really turned into a masterpiece of music. Well done, Maiden!

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8 and 8.5/10, respectively) - This intro took me off guard when it started. When I first listened to it, I thought it was good and quite unique, but maybe a tad too long. Listening to it now, I find that it is such a cool intro and it doesn't seem to take as long to start (if that makes any sense). Maybe it's because I know it now. When it transitions into TFF, I feel it could use a bigger punch, but the song is awesome, which is good for such a straight-forward song. The solos section of the song really take the song to a great level. Ever since the reunion, I have loved the intro songs and their solos, and this song is no different. Great way to start the album!

El Dorado (8/10) - I loved this song when it came out. I thought it was just a cool song, and a lot of people complained about Bruce's vocals, but to me, they are fairly vicious sounding throughout the song. Not much to say about this song, though, since most people have listened to this one more than others by now. Usually, when a single song comes out before the album and I listen to it over and over, I just can't listen to it on the album (exactly what happened with Breeg). However, this song is still listened to by me on a regular basis. I love it.

Mother of Mercy (9/10) - The song that blew me away on my first listen, and I still love it. It's not the strongest song on the album, but it just has that Bruce-solo feel to it, and that is automatic goodness for a Bruce fanboy such as myself haha. When he sings, "Wounded lying crying, Bodies moving dying," it is just so cool to listen to. It's hard to describe why I like this song so much, but it just has such a great feel and the chorus is memorable to me. Many have said that Bruce sounds strained on this track, and I disagree. I don't think this is his strongest effort on the album, but I love the way he belts it out. Very fun to listen to, and a pleasant surprise after reading initial reactions.

Coming Home (9/10) - I didn't "get" this song at first. Everyone said how awesome this song was and how the chorus was something special for them. I just didn't feel the same way. Boy, was my first impression dead wrong. I quickly changed my mind around the third time I listened to it. The way Bruce sings, "To Albion's land..." is just fantastic. The solo in this song brings it home in a way that makes this song a special listen in this very diverse album. The underlying guitars during the verses really conjure up a lot of emotions and you can really "feel" the band throughout the song. I'm glad I actually came back to this song and gave it a couple more chances, because it is awesome and quite moving.

The Alchemist (8.5/10) - Another song that I liked right off the bat, but didn't love. It's a great throwback to Maiden of old, and it kind of reminds me of New Frontier. In fact, a lot of parts of this album remind me of Dance of Death (the album). The beginning is probably the weakest part of the song, but it fits well when it's placed in the middle of the song. It has a bigger impact at that point. I love the lyrics of this song, and it is sung brilliantly. To be honest, this song is fun and a great listen. It's one of the songs on the album that you'll listen to to take a break from all of the epics and musical journeys that follow it. I love coming back to this song and just feel like I'm listening to Flash of the Blade again.

Isle of Avalon (10/10) - My first perfect rating on the album goes to the first "epic" of the album. To be honest, I couldn't digest this song at first. I love the way it starts (like 7th Son). However, it didn't quite grab me at first. I can hear bits of Rush in there, and since Rush is my favourite band, I had to go back and listen to it a few more times (obviously). Now, I am mentioning that I had to revisit a lot of the songs, and I just want to point out that I was never going to give up on the album. I always try to digest an album first. Especially a friggin' 76-minute beast like this. Isle of Avalon has an impeccable atmosphere and really packs a punch, which I was happy about. One thing I was worried about when I saw the track lengths was the odds of some of the tracks meandering into nothing. Luckily, this is Iron Maiden, and they slapped me in the face for thinking such a thing. The twists and turns in this song fit extremely well, and allow for a smooth flow. Absolutely brilliant song.

Starblind (10/10) - I wish I could rate this 11/10, but that's just incorrect math, so I have to give it 10. If I could give it 15, I would. This song is spectacular. The lyrics, the musicianship, the brilliant middle section with awesome instrumental pieces, the solos that sound like they were ripped right out of SiT-era Maiden... gah. I'm gushing over this song. At first, I thought it was awkward how Bruce sang the first verses with the music, but I think it fits quite well with the song. At this point, you can tell how I had to re-listen to a lot of these songs haha. There isn't much else to say. Insanely good.

The Talisman (9.5/10) - The only thing that keeps this song from a perfect 10 is the intro. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But, it's just too close to sounding like The Legacy from AMOLAD. Not that it's a bad thing or anything like that. I like it, but I just wish it was a little bit different. The rest of the song is great. Great tempo, great galloping, and the "Weeeeestward the tiiiiiiide!" part is an instant classic part of this album for me. I also love the outro. It has Iron Maiden written all over it. One unique part about this song is the instrumental section and how it starts out. I love the guitar tone that is used as the few lead notes are played over top of the heavier rhythm section. It gives the section a great feel, and then it returns to the galloping to conclude the song. Great, great song.

The Man Who Would Be King (9/10) - This song took a long time to grab me. In fact, it just did. The verses are more classic sounding than the verses on the other songs. In fact, it reminds me a lot of The Thin Line Between Love and Hate from BNW. Very similar sounding, but still different enough to make it fit for this record. The instrumental section is quite unique and I love how both the intro and outro sound. This is one of those songs that scream reunion-era Maiden. It just has that signature sound from the past ten years enveloped into one song. It's not my favourite, but it's still a great, fun listen.

When The Wild Wind Blows (10/10) - What can be said about this track? Really. It's tough to sum up what this track is and how it sounds. It's unique, but has such a Maiden flavour to it. That's what this album is all about. It has different sounds and song structures, but at the end of the day, you know it's Iron Maiden who wrote these songs, and only them could perform these songs the way you're hearing them. This is especially true for WTWWB. A song that has everything, really, except for a galloping section, but it's not really needed here. Instead, you have a mid-tempo song that never overstays its welcome. The lead breaks and rhythm sections of this song keep you on edge, making you wonder where this song is going to go. This song has a phenomenal sound, and you don't hear many metal bands churn out songs like Starblind and WTWWB on the same album. It just doesn't happen (especially for bands on their 15th studio album!). As I write this review, I have a hard time describing this song because it has so many levels. The rest of the album feels like the storm, and this song is like the calm after the storm. It's when you look outside the window and see what's different after what had just happened. WTWWB concludes the album perfectly, and is another lengthy song that feels fresh. I don't know how Iron Maiden can write 10-11 minute songs for many albums and they all have different sounds. I don't know how... but I love it.

This album is special, and it's hard to listen to. I had a tough time with it, and was fairly underwhelmed when I first listened to it. This album is like an orange. You have to peel away the skin, but then you also have to eat the individual orange slices to truly enjoy the orange. Every song on this album is like a slice of the orange. Once you finally peel that damned skin off, you can enjoy the rest and be satisfied at the end.

I still can't believe IM have made an album like this as their fifteenth studio effort. That is beyond incredible. How a band can be so far into their career and make an album like this is beyond my realm of understanding. I've seen mixed reactions for this album, but for me, this band just can't be stopped. Truly a legendary effort from a legendary band.

Great review, my thoughts on the album are pretty similar to yours.  Except the man who would be king has not yet clicked for me... any day now I hope

GREAT review Ristifer! Especially the summary, completely agree with every word.

Privateer454 said:
Man, I must really be in the minority as I fell that Isle of Avalon and Starblind are in the bottom three of the album for me...

Those are two of my top 3 I'd reckon at this point.  You're in my minority at least.  ;)
Ristifer said:

Thanks for such a thoughful and enjoyable write up.

I think it's you Edhunter. Bruce's solo albums have a heavier, almost "grungier" feel to them. Especially CW and TOS.

Re: Final Frontier

edhunter1965 said:
Is it me or does the new album sound like a Bruce solo album?

There are some similarities in the vocal department, but that's where it ends.  Musically, it's pure Maiden.

Privateer454 said:

Considering Isle is my favorite of their songs since at least Paschendale...

It just makes me want to buy you a beer and try to convert you to the winning team :p

Privateer454 said:

I love IOA but I am having trouble coming to grips with Starblind.  To me it sounds as if so much is going on that it becomes cluttered.

My fave on the album up til now is, exactly, Starblind then The Man Who Would Be King. Mind fucking blowing!!! :edmetal:

Back