Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Wow, Steve was right when he said the credits this time were similar to AMOLAD.  I love Adrian's writing style, both single and epic tracks, so this bodes well for the new album.  His style tends to be a bit more riffy than Harris, Gers or Murray. 

Donner said:
I think I'm the only person in the universe who feels Bruce sounds fine on this track.  The verses don't call out for crazy high notes, and while he has a tinge of strain in the prechorus and choruses it's nowhere to the degree of, say, Lord of Light where he was singing on edge pretty much the entire time.
I think his vocals sound perfectly fine on it as well. In fact, I quite enjoy them a LOT!

Yah I love Bruce on El Dorado!!Again I'm no mixer or producer or whatever, so maybe Im wrong.  But Bruce sounds sinister and raspy during the 'talking parts', which is frikin awesome.  Then he carries us up and down and swings through the rest masterfully!!  The song which I've now listened to 130+ times, is outstanding to me. In fact, I'm restarting it right now!!  Day after tomorrow SAN BERNARDINO BABY!!

bornless1 said:
  I find it hard to believe anyone with the gift of hearing would find AMOLAD better than piece of mind.  Please stop now.  I love AMOLAD but it is nowhere close to Piece of mind as a metal album.  If AMOLAD had come out in the early 80's, following up Numbers and killers, Maiden would not be the band they are today.   That string of albums, Killers through Powerslave, are the greatest Maiden albums, with Seventh Son trailing by a hair in fifth.  Yes that is my opinion, but it is almost fact, and believing any of the past decade and 1/2 s albums match Piece is completely lame to me.  It may also be a case of POM being played out to you or something.  It is far superior to AMOLAD and anything else post 90'. Yes we've all heard the Trooper, sun and steel revelations etc. a million times.  But think about when they were new!   No comparison fellas............

I agree about Piece of Mind being superior, but they are very different albums IMO. If you appreciate longer songs, with slow beginnings and build-ups etc... then you'll probably like AMoLaD much better.

Reumeren said:
I agree about Piece of Mind being superior, but they are very different albums IMO. If you appreciate longer songs, with slow beginnings and build-ups etc... then you'll probably like AMoLaD much better.
eddie_63-1.jpg

Suicidehummer said:
Murray only helped write one song?
Remember, those writing credits have NOT been confirmed.
An official pre-order for only $8 has been added to Maiden's site until June 21: http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... cleid=1216
From 7digital:
Iron Maiden’s highly anticipated new studio album THE FINAL FRONTIER has been confirmed for 16th August release. Recorded at Compass Point Studios in Nassau Producer Kevin “Caveman” Shirley reports “Each of the guitar players has a very much more distinct sound on this record. The textures sound quite different to each other It’s nothing that I’m doing any differently, it’s what they’re doing differently, a landscape they’re painting for themselves...but its Maiden.
http://us.7digital.com/artists/iron-maiden/the-final-frontier?src=IM
That quote from 7digital got me pumped up about 9999999999999999%!!!

i know the all of eldorado on guitar except solos and on jans solo i do the btats solo and it sounds fine lol

bornless1 said:
  I find it hard to believe anyone with the gift of hearing would find AMOLAD better than piece of mind.  Please stop now.  I love AMOLAD but it is nowhere close to Piece of mind as a metal album.  If AMOLAD had come out in the early 80's, following up Numbers and killers, Maiden would not be the band they are today.   That string of albums, Killers through Powerslave, are the greatest Maiden albums, with Seventh Son trailing by a hair in fifth.  Yes that is my opinion, but it is almost fact, and believing any of the past decade and 1/2 s albums match Piece is completely lame to me.  It may also be a case of POM being played out to you or something.  It is far superior to AMOLAD and anything else post 90'. Yes we've all heard the Trooper, sun and steel revelations etc. a million times.  But think about when they were new!   No comparison fellas............

Actually, I think if BNW, DoD and AMOLAD were released in the 80s, those would have been classics and albums like PoM or SSoaSS wouldn't have been praised that much if they had been released in the 00's. The 80s were more metal than the 00s, that explains a LOT of things. I do have the gift of hearing. I can even say I'm close to having an absolute hearing. AMOLAD really IS an awesome album.

It is absolutely an "Awesome" album!!  I love AMOLAD man!!  But to me Piece of Mind is pure gold.  POM is  in the class with NOTB,  Killers, and Powerslave, as top all time, again in my opinion. AMOLAD completely rocks, no argument. It's like comparing filet mignon and t-bone steak.  They both are outstanding, a matter of taste I guess.  Either way UP THE IRONS!!!  In less than 48 hours I'll be on the Lawn at San Manuel Amphitheater with a cold brew and the greatest live music on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the limited edition (tin cover or whatever) already available for pre-order? Can someone post a link here, preferrably to a European online shop?

I just tabbed El Dorado and here's a link for those interested. Pretty cool to play. Powerful main riff and the bridge has harmonies completely unusual to Maiden (sounds more like Voivod and Rush. this is not part of Maiden vocabulary! Adrian is really a researcher of new venues for Maiden to trod!)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KTUK5VJU or http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/home/tab ... bid=960402

Edu_Smith said:
1. Satellite 15.....The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) 8:40
2. El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) 5:20
4. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 5:52
5. The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) 4:29
6. Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris) 9:06
7. Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
8. The Talisman (Gers/Harris) 9:03
9. The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) 8:28
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) 10:59

http://www.mega-media.nl/react.php?id=9141
If that list is legit, then I have a new front-runner for my most anticipated song. Dave doesn't do a lot of heavy writing, but when he does, it's usually one hell of a song. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, another Murray/Harris collaboration, is easily one of my favorite songs from the last 10 years, if not their entire career. I'm extremely excited to hear this one. Also, Adrian is all over this album, and that's never a bad thing.

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single-original post updated Jun.16

Only 4 songwritings form the Bruce. it's not too much from him, like on BNW. As about The Final Frontier, well, I hope that with their next full single, which i don' think will be El Dorado, it will just another song, we will see a REALY GOOD promo video on the level of the wicker man and rainmaker.

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single-original post updated Jun.16

I was watching a video of El Dorado live from this tour (the June 16th show in Albuquerque), and Bruce said the following that I found interesting: (not sure if this is considered spoilers, it doesn't give away anything new or spoil the setlist at all since El Dorado is known to be played, but it's something from the tour so I'll put it in spoilers just to be safe)

If you ripped it (the free single from the website), it's like an mp3, then I'm really sorry. Mp3's suck, the sound quality is absolute shit. The song is called El Dorado, and it should sound like this....(song starts)
It's the start of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp6d7fZnHnI

Is this just Bruce making a joke, or are they acknowledging some fan complaints about the sound or mixing of the single?

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single-original post updated Ju

I'm sure he's joking about that. Maiden is a live band, and they're supposed to sound live!

Jason2103 said:
I was watching a video of El Dorado live from this tour (the June 16th show in Albuquerque), and Bruce said the following that I found interesting: (not sure if this is considered spoilers, it doesn't give away anything new or spoil the setlist at all since El Dorado is known to be played, but it's something from the tour so I'll put it in spoilers just to be safe)

If you ripped it (the free single from the website), it's like an mp3, then I'm really sorry. Mp3's suck, the sound quality is absolute shit. The song is called El Dorado, and it should sound like this....(song starts)
It's the start of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp6d7fZnHnI

Is this just Bruce making a joke, or are they acknowledging some fan complaints about the sound or mixing of the single?

I don't think it's a joke.  The version of El Dorado made available for download is an MP3 file compressed to 192 kbps.  That's pretty heavily compressed; by comparison, iTunes primarily uses 256 kbps, whereas your typical CD is roughly 550-650 kpbs.  This inherently won't sound as good as it will sound on the CD or vinyl album they plan to release. A lot of "serious" musicians (e.g., Neil Young and now, I guess, Bruce) decry iPods and MP3s because digital compression degrades the sound -- I'm not an electrical engineer and I don't understand exactly how it works, but I think the process literally removes some of the music and chops the remaining sounds up, but then blends them back together so it sounds "close enough" to most ears.  But hey, the downloaded single was FREE, so you get what you pay for and  then some.  I, for one, intend to buy the CD and/or vinyl album when it is released to hear how it is intended to sound. 

Gonna spoiler this even though I'm not sure it's needed-

I'm guessing it's a legit complaint.  That mp3 sounds like we're missing half of the song soundwise.  I can't wait to hear the actual thing because I'm confident it will sound worlds better.

I was surprised to see, judging by that live clip, that Adrian and Steve do vocal back ups on the chorus which has me hopeful that the album sound will in fact be beefier and better vocally.

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single-original post updated Ju

I don't think the human ear can hear sounds that are cut out of anything compressed to 256 kbps, but I'm willing to accept otherwise if proven wrong.

Back