Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

The Maiden Chat is a little messed up for me right now too.  Anyway, the song is exactly that. Not an epic, but absolutely MAIDEN!!  and it is a great break from the war songs and easy listening intros of AMOLAD.  I remember the first listen to AMOLAD, and thinking, "lets have a kick butt intro to one of these songs"!  Well here it is!!  The galloping base line hark ens to the trooper, and bits of the song sometime reminds me of  die with your boots on or rainmaker..  Did you really want more downer songs about soldiers on the battlefield?  Don't get me wrong, I love AMOLAD for what it is.  But this fresh new [and old] freewheeling  metal feelling of Final Frontier has me in a trance!!!!!!!!!!

am i the only one who likes the cover? i think its there best since no prayer :innocent:

I like it too.
It's different but it doesn't suck.

hockeyguy666 said:
am i the only one who likes the cover? i think its there best since no prayer :innocent:

i think its the best since bnw

JackKnife said:
I took the time to listen to El Dorado many times before giving my opinion. It is the poorest Maiden track released for many years. Bruce sounds bad, guitar soli lack inspiration and the production is not very good. The song is also far too long! I'm not saying that a good single need to be a short single, and Iron Maiden released different long songs (e.g. 2 Minutes To Midnight) that were excellent singles. No, I simply think that El Dorado is a filler that would never have made it onto an album like Brave New World for example. Let's hope that the rest of The final Frontier is stronger that this first single.

Bruce definitely sounds bad, but hey, poorest Maiden track released for many years ?
Much better than the two previous singles at least, and the solos are rather good. The production not very good ?
... I don't know maybe, I only wonder how Kevin let that happen (Bruce voice) I mean someone could sing along with Bruce or put a special effect
but now Bruce voice sounds completely 'naked'

I would not agree with the length either. The song is not repetitive, is almost as long as it should be.
I would be happy to have the last chorus cut, leaving only one virtual chorus in the middle, that could save 40 seconds maybe.

A positive note is also the unusual intro /outro
which I see it as a kind of joke -response to the criticism for the far too many slow intros /outros of the last 20  :D years 

Babo 91 said:
i think its the best since bnw
Being better that Dance Of Death or A Matter Of Life And Death isn't that difficult is it? :innocent:

In that case it's the third poorest song in many years, not the poorest  :smartarse:
And not forget New Frontier & Gates of Tomorrow, as well!

I very much like AMOLAD, Jack. And Dance of Death may not have been great, but it does have Paschen-fucking-dale.

I think he was meaning the singles of AMOLAD & DOD, Loosey; Different World & Wildest Dreams, even maybe Breeg...

hockeyguy666 said:

No, I quite like the cover. I think the single artwork would've made a more unique one, but I like the Melvin Grant cover art.  Normally I"m not much of a fan of his stuff, but I like this one.
JackKnife said:
Being better that Dance Of Death or A Matter Of Life And Death isn't that difficult is it? :innocent:

AMOLAD is tits.  All the way.  Best album of theirs since Powerslave.

IMO, Maiden's last 3 album have been up there with the best of their 80's stuff and El Dorado is no exception and I'm sure the rest of the album won't be. Now true, I did give El Dorado 4/5 stars, but by the best of, I mean songs that would get 4-5 stars.

I have a feeling this album will be the best since Powerslave.  Call it wishfull thinking, but thats my opinion.  The lads seem to be enjoying a bit of a revelation and are back in the 80's again.  The cover art reminds a tad of Numbers[the colors and boldness, and the return of the red/white lettering.  And the tune is throwback all the way.  I have a feeling those of you who are dissing the art/music beginnings of final frontier will be eating your words in August!!!  This album already kicks A$$!!

bornless1 said:
I have a feeling this album will be the best since Powerslave.  Call it wishfull thinking, but thats my opinion.  The lads seem to be enjoying a bit of a revelation and are back in the 80's again.  The cover art reminds a tad of Numbers[the colors and boldness, and the return of the red/white lettering.  And the tune is throwback all the way.  I have a feeling those of you who are dissing the art/music beginnings of final frontier will be eating your words in August!!!  This album already kicks A$$!!
While AMOLAD is a bit darker, I think BNW and DOD sound EXACTLY like their 80's stuff. That's the way I hear them at least.

The problem with El Dorado is not only that the chorus has a shitty hook (that's just downright annoying to me after several listens) but also that the verses are boring. Bruce puts no character into those verses; it's like listening to an audio book over a galloping bass.

Ya, the verses are a bit dull, but the galloping background helps to make up for it. I still can't stop listening to it though! And it's not just because I'm a die hard Maiden fanboy. If I truly didn't like the song, I wouldn't listen to it.

The lyrics paint the main picture to Bruce's vocals on the verses. I think overplaying it won't help the song getting better. Let it come naturally into your system. I listen to it at a normal rate and I like to listen to it in my mind and get surprised by it.

A friend just left my house and he wasn't impressed at all with El Dorado studio version. I just put on the live version from Dallas from youtube and after a few minutes, he said "Wow, Jeff! It sounds really great live and it has an old school sound while fresh and renewed. Plus, it's no safe zone for Maiden style". He perceived what I said to him on the day he called up to talk about it.

El Dorado chorus is soaring, among the best choruses of the last 18 years. In fact, I was listening to every Maiden single (A-Sides) has released and I came to a very interesting list of fave to least fave and at the same time, it doesn't say nothing about an album as they're hardly indicative of what we get on the full album release:

Infinite Dreams (Live, but I pondered with the studio version in mind)
Flight Of Icarus
Aces High
The Trooper
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Live, but I pondered with the studio version in mind)
The Evil That Men Do
The Number Of The Beast
Stranger In A Strange Land
Fear Of The Dark (Live, but I pondered with the studio version in mind)
Out Of The Silent Planet
Be Quick Or Be Dead
The Wicker Man
Rainmaker
The Clairvoyant (Live, but I pondered with the studio version in mind)
Can I Play With Madness
Wasted Years
2 Minutes To Midnight
Holy Smoke
Purgatory
Twilight Zone
Run To The Hills
Running Free
Lord Of The Flies
Virus
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
Man On The Edge
Sanctuary
Wasting Love
No More Lies
El Dorado
Different World
From Here To Eternity
Futureal
The Angel And The Gambler
Wildest Dreams
Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter
Women In Uniform

One data you can take out of this list is that - for me - El Dorado is better than the last 2 albums openers.

Yah Jeff that is awesome.  I agree with most of that lists' order.  Seems like yesterday when I first heard Flight of Icarus on KLOS Los Angeles for the first time!!  I remember being blown away!!!  "Here is the new single from British Metal sensation IRON MAIDEN" wow, the memories!!  El Dorado blew me away last week as well!!  Great commentary bro!! UP THE MOTHER FREAKIN IRONS!!!

Flight Of Icarus is one of the best - if not the best - Metal single hits ever done. I think this song is for a time capsule kind of thing for the next ones that'll inhabit this planet. Those solos... Oh, my Goodness. Brings back a lot of great memories for me, too. First listened to it in 1987. Just love it with all my heart. Cool is that Bruce used to wear a KLOS FM T-shirt back in the Powerslave/Live After Death era.

El Dorado reminds me a lot of Lord of the Flies. Same song structure IMO and the chorus has a lot of similarities (I'm considering Bruce's version which is an octave higher than the original). Anyone with me?
In both cases, the song is definitely a grower.

I can't see much of that, but as Lord Of The Flies is fantastic, it's a good 'reference'.

Back