Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Dominocracy said:
El Dorado

That said, I really don't mind the singing at all, my real problem is with how separated Bruce sounds from the rest of the band. It almost sounds as if everyone else recorded live in a room and Bruce got added in later. It's a weird disconnect from the rest of the song, and I hope this isn't a recurring problem with the rest of the record.

My thoughts exactly.  What I mean is I wrote the same thing in different words. :ok:

Yeah I'm with Dominocracy, it's really not a great song, probably one of Maiden's weakest IMHO. However, that does not in any way mean the rest of the album will be bad. This song at least gives us an idea of the direction of the album, which I'm pleased about. Benjamin Breeg was a far better song not to mention it was mixed far better.

Singles never gave or give direction to any (Maiden's) album. What you can get hold of and have as certain about the album is the vibe of El Dorado - its freshness and the production style. Musically, El Dorado is certain to be an unique beast and that's about it.

No doubt it seems to be unique. I'm saying you can hear a common thread between the songs on an album and a single from it. For example, with AMOLAD and Breeg, the very powerful, harsh production style to fit the subject matter of the album (war).

Also, I forgot in my last post to say those covers (whether really done by Riggs or not) are fuckin' amazing! So much better than the actual cover!

picture7oo.png

Those covers were really done by Riggs and he made shirts out of those sketches as Maiden rejected it. There's pictures of Derek, his wife and a friend of theirs (an IMOC adm) wearing the t's just after they poduced 'em.

Say, is there already a way top pre-order the album or the limited edition? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but perhaps somebody here is more established than me.

On the official site, 'til June 21st. There's a couple more sites also, but I don't know exactly which.

pilau said:
Say, is there already a way top pre-order the album or the limited edition? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but perhaps somebody here is more established than me.
Usually, bands don't start pre-orders for new albums until within a month of release date. I hope they do like they did for AMOLAD. You got the CD, a DVD and t-shirt all for $21. It don't think it included shipping, but still a great deal.

Well, I'll be damned. There are some pre-orders this early. Limited edition metal case too. Cool stuff.
So, you think these Final Frontier .rars file I'm getting from edonkey are for real? :lol:

I don't think and I don't care as I will only listen to the album on August 16th, but watch out for the album's promo and reviews, which I think will start to pop up on Metal music related sites by the end of June/beginning of July, plus interviews with the band.

I'm WAY TOO impatient to wait for it to come out! The next 2 months are REALLY going to go by SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
Just added a countdown to torture us all! http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... =00&p0=219
Of course it was fake. I'm dreaming if I'm hoping for a new album to leak 2 months in advance! :lol: Nowadays, we're lucky if they leak a week in advance.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Well, I'll be damned. There are some pre-orders this early. Limited edition metal case too. Cool stuff.
So, you think these Final Frontier .rars file I'm getting from edonkey are for real? :lol:
I don't know about the .rars, but the .exe files definitely are! :D

gulranek said:
I don't know about the .rars, but the .exe files definitely are! :D
Ya, those work best on my iPod. It adds an extra special sound to the songs! :p

I took the time to listen to El Dorado many times before giving my opinion. It is the poorest Maiden track released for many years. Bruce sounds bad, guitar soli lack inspiration and the production is not very good. The song is also far too long! I'm not saying that a good single need to be a short single, and Iron Maiden released different long songs (e.g. 2 Minutes To Midnight) that were excellent singles. No, I simply think that El Dorado is a filler that would never have made it onto an album like Brave New World for example. Let's hope that the rest of The final Frontier is stronger that this first single.
On a side note, I really enjoyed the artwork: this “comics-like” drawing is original and Iron Maiden never made something comparable before. This is not the case of the album artwork that is absolute crap. Science-fi is a very good theme but should be used with a lot of talent if the result is to be comparable to such masterpieces as Somewhere In Time artwork...
But let's be positive: however poor the artwork of Final Frontier might be, it cannot be as bad as Dance Of Death... :ninja:
Up the Irons!
B)

I'm not down with the commentary knife.    Listen some more dude.  The song is not poor at all.  I believe the song would have been a favorite if it were on BNW.  El Dorado is a hit and has the band back in  the hard rock and METAL lead.  It hits hard from the start and rocks throughout.  I'm not a 'mixer' or a 'producer' so maybe I'm missing something, but as a life long Maiden fanatic, I love this track.  These guys are in there fifties, and have just blown the doors off with a kick but, rocking single. 
  We would be lucky to have an album full of galloping, raw, powerful songs like "El Dorado!!

As for the cover art?  Yah, I was like "what thaaaa..? when I first saw it too.  But after studying it, with the song blowing through the speakers simultaneously, it works big time!!  Don't compare it to the DoD and Virtual 11 art.  It kicks but over those.  I have listened at least 100 times to El Dorado, and it gets better every time!!  UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!

After a week and many repeated listens, I'm still really enjoying this tune.  It's not the greatest tune ever, nor is it the worst thing ever.  It's a good middle of the road Maiden track, and a nice break from the somber melancholy of the last few albums.  I'm sure it will make more sense in the scheme of the Final Frontier record.  I'm very curious why they picked this song of all of them to release first though.  There are 3 shorter and presumably more typical single like rocker tunes, and a whole lot of more epic tracks. 

I guess we'll all know in 2 months.

Then again, I'm a total sucker for the Maiden gallop and that is certainly prominent in this tune.  I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to Maiden.  My expectations are for good catchy songs and they always deliver.

duellistsportsfoundation said:
is the maiden chat forum working for anyone?

I hate to add a non topic related post, so I'll say that i still find El Dorado to be excellent, I for one am happy with the direction of the sound.  Bruce does sound rather on top of instead of in the track, but never-the-less, I think it is better than anything off of BNW next to the Wickerman.  As for the Maiden Chat, no its not working for me.  The only way I could get in was throught the last post link.

Back