Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

SinisterMinisterX said:
Edit: that said, the mixes on DOD / AMOLAD / El Dorado do sound more like Maiden's live mix.

I didn't listen to DOD for a long time, but I don't remember having too much problem with the mix, except perhaps for the guitars being not defined enough, although nothing like this one. Regarding AMOLAD, I think that it has a very special sound, which I like a lot (in some way it is over compressed, you're a musician, you should understand), but I don't want this one to come back as I think it should be kept special with AMOLAD.

And yes, El Dorado kinda sounds like a live mix, but a bad one.

I saw Maiden live just a few days before Dance Of Death came out. When I played the album, I was astounded at how the studio "Wildest Dreams" was mixed exactly like the live version I had just heard. Normally, you expect some difference, but the match was perfect.

Cool. If we're on this subject - Did you get a chance to listen to the surround mix of DOD?

The first thing I did when I heard that the single is out is to look up the song on wiki.  I read the quote there where Bruce said that the song is about the recent economic situation.  So going into the music, I already had this perception in mind.  The double meaning is great, but I'm still getting into the song.
As far as mixing is concerned, I thought everything was even except for the vocals.  They could have been more prominent.

Re: Discussion thread for ENTIRE new album! FULL details and new song to downloa

Jeffmetal said:
Man, this song is a whole new universe of Maiden. It has an 80's vibe definetly, the way Bruce sings the chorus is bit like on Flash Of The Blade, but it mix the harshness of the 90's too, the first impression was that Roy Z was playing as guest. Ahahahahahahahah... This riff is what everyone was asking for! Heavy, catchy, unusual and incredible! All 3 solos are blazing, focused, not that 'impro/jam' feel of AMOLAD. AMOLAD was the experimental stage to get to this kind of musicality I'm listening on El Dorado. It is fucking amazing! This song alone is better than the whole A Matter Of Life And Death and to be frank, better than most of Dance Of Death. I know opinions are subjective, but a Maiden fan just got to love this song!!!

By the way - artwork is destroyer!!! Will get a t-shirt as soon it's for sale. Single artwork is totally unexpected, love the comic book vibe!!!

UP THE IRONS!!! ALWAYS...!!! \m/
Yet, you only gave this song 3 stars in the rating poll?

3 stars for me is an 8 out of 10, which is a really amazing rating (also, Bruce's is considerably low in the mix and Jan's almost sounding as he's on rehearsal mood and mode while soloing).

But as the music what really matters, I just saw the live version of El Dorado on youtube and 2 things - this song live sounds really, really fantastic (I guess you can rise the bar and give 4 stars and a half, if anything now!) and this is what I feel we'd get if Adrian had stayed in the band back in 1990. I also discovered it has a No Prayer/FOTD vibe to it. Man, this album will surprise those who have patience and open mind to let it rip after the few listenings.

El Dorado live is twice as big, EVIL and bold!!! UP THE IRONS!!! \m/

Jeffmetal said:
3 stars for me is an 8 out of 10, which is a really amazing rating (also, Bruce's is considerably low in the mix and Jan's almost sounding as he's on rehearsal mood and mode while soloing).

But as the music what really matters, I just saw the live version of El Dorado on youtube and 2 things - this song live sounds really, really fantastic (I guess you can rise the bar and give 4 stars and a half, if anything now!) and this is what I feel we'd get if Adrian had stayed in the band back in 1990. I also discovered it has a No Prayer/FOTD vibe to it. Man, this album will surprise those who have patience and open mind to let it rip after the few listenings.

El Dorado live is twice as big, EVIL and bold!!! UP THE IRONS!!! \m/
Ah, I understand now.

Ya, I'm loving the live version much more as well.

I love the live version thanks for posting.  The band are into it.

And you gotta love Dave's shirt.  I really enjoy how he ocassionally bows to the crowd, like at 5:38 in...its almost camp.

Jeffmetal said:
3 stars for me is an 8 out of 10, which is a really amazing rating

That's strange math. :)

If you want to give an 8 out of 10, that's 4 out of 5 stars.

New Maiden live album:

"The Live Factor"

Every band plays an entire classic album these days, but Maiden will play the entire The X-Factor album.

Place of recording: Play Classic's hometown.

:D

edit: By the way Jeff,

H is playing that Wasted Years stuff

(judging from the intro in this live clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyu2_P9B6Wo

Hmmm now that the enthusiasm is calmed down, I love it less -yet still I like it  :)
Vocals & vocal melodies but bridge are mediocre & chorus is weak.
Potential of an excellent live opener though --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyu2_P9B6Wo
I think Maiden could have work on it a bit more.    

In any case, I was clearly thrilled during the 3 -4 first listens; which means I'll better wait 5 days before having a stable opinion when album is released.

Man after a few days this tune continues to grow and grow on me.  To the point where I'm close to saying I truly love it. 

As far as the sound goes, I'm not going to worry too much about that until I hear something other than a low bitrate mp3.  It sometimes doesn't take much for a file like that to strip away a lot of sheen and polish on an otherwise decent production.

This does sound like it was done live in the studio again as it sounds exactly like Maiden does live.  I think even their classic albums had an air of a bit more studio polish than these do, especially Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son.  But I think if Steve is after capturing their live sound on disc they have been pretty successful.

Can't wait for the full album now.

WOW the song sounds even better live!
I also like Bruce's shirt.Any chance seeing this on Maiden's store???
Not yet.... :(  :p

I still love it, even though I'm not excited anymore.
I think It's the best single in the last 20 years, as much as I love Futureal and Rainmaker.

I think it's a good song.  It's got a real lightness to it too, in terms of the way it's sung.  It has the feel of something off of No Prayer, but better..!

Forostar said:
New Maiden live album:

"The Live Factor"

Every band plays an entire classic album these days, but Maiden will play the entire The X-Factor album.

Place of recording: Play Classic's hometown.

:D

edit: By the way Jeff,

H is playing that Wasted Years stuff

(judging from the intro in this live clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyu2_P9B6Wo

Ahahahahahahahahahahah... That idea is great. You'd listen on the background, very far away, the sound spectre of classic Maiden songs. It's Play Classics! in front of the venue with a truck playing 80's Maiden all night long! Ahahahahahahahahah...

You were right. It seems that Jan doesn't double the lick. Also, on the requalized version I could listen to the 3 guitars sound with a lot more distinction than on the official mp3.

Is it that the site didn't put the correct running time of each song, yet, or you can listen 3 minutes of each song if you buy it, now?

http://us.7digital.com/artists/iron-mai ... ier?src=IM

Back