Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Great take on the whole El Dorado references. It seems Bruce really merged all into his own twisted little story. When I think of the exploitation of the people who went to dig gold in the mines, the cover of Dio's The Last In Line comes to mind as one of the visual references, with this carachter Bruce made up being that giant demon overlooking the slaves, but only with a sarcatic and perverse grin added.

Interesting read, LC!  You could also make the parallel to CSIT, but there the reward for joining the 1st person (the trickster, conman or whatever we should call him) is not as clearly laid out as in this song.

Dickinson/Smith/Harris then.

Edit: Yeah, reading LC's post I'd say he has it nailed. I still like to think of it from an Uncharted: Drakes Fortune kind of way though :p

Cool, thanks for posting.  Personally, when I read LC's last paragraph I thought he was reading too much into it, but seems I was wrong, there is a deeper message behind the story.  Great lyrics by Bruce, as usual. :)

Excellent post LC !!

This was clearly a IMC post, let's not waste it here, but paste -copy to where it belongs : IMC forum

Which I might do - once we get around to making an additional forum for The Final Frontier.

I'm trying to avoid listening to El Dorado too much at the minute. I like listening to the album as a whole when I first get it, and in this case it could very well be a concept album. If I listen to El Dorado too much, it might kind of ruin the whole effect, kinda like watching the Dojo sparring scene in the Matrix a hundred times before you see the movie. 

Anyways, I'm loving the song. It's simple, yet really quite complex in some ways.

I don't like the guitar sounds though. Adrian's solo is a little thin sounding, Dave's doesn't sound as full and mellow as he does, and Janick's sound likes bite and clarity (they can't do anything about this live, but they usually do a great job of masking it in the studio). That's the only gripe I have really, and even then, that's only because I'm a tone chaser.

Thanks Jeff, seems we were right about the credits (though later I'd still like to see the order).

When I read the lyrics I thought exactly about what Bruce said: The crisis, the economy, and what m**herf*ckers have been doing with it.

Well done analysis Loosey! A bit micro-analytic for my taste, but that's a subjective opinion of someone who focuses a lot on the music rather than the lyrics (maybe too much for others.  :D ).

Anyway, I find it very cool that everyone can do with Maiden what he likes, that's so cool about this band, and this period of the year. The forum feels suddenly very different compared to the "interval-years".

So write something about the music, Foro, and we'll cover both aspects :p

At first I had nothing but disappointment for El Dorado. But the more I listen to it the more I love it. Its not one of Maiden's best, but it's certainly not a filler either.

It took a bit of time for me to come to terms with Bruce's singing style, and I think I finally have. I can see why he choose to sing this song, in the way that he did. Now If I could only change one thing, I'd like to see his vocals a bit higher in the mix. 

Ah, and let's don't forget the awesome review of MadMax, which also must be copied on IMC.
We should have him post here more often, an excellent read, be praised Max  :ok:

Forostar said:
That is John Huston and Michael Caine. ;)
No seriously, I have this film on DVD and still need to see it (like hundreds of others).
Now my aim is to see it before the album comes out, to get more into the song.

It's a fuckin' awesome film! Please, see it soon, and let's discuss it together afterwards  :)

Oh man, El Dorado is a political song?
Now everytime I listen to it I'll think about it.

WHY GOD WHY

Who the hell said it was political?

The man himself: Bruce Dickinson.

Check Jeff's post.

I was disappointed by El Dorado at first, it has grew on me a lot since the very first listen. Though, I still think it is below Maiden's standards. I hope the album will be as strong as AMOLAD was, or at least as strong as the weakest reunion era album (Dance of Death IMO).

I think it's a metaphor, which is what I pointed out, and I did mention the stock market and Ponzi schemes, but you're welcome to believe it's just a legend, too. It works both ways.

But now the association is stuck

It was pretty awesome to make your own story about the guy from el dorado though, me and a friend had some awesome speculations.

Well, it's a legend. Anyone and everyone can do whatever they want with it.

That's why I'm interested in "Isle of Avalon".

I think it's great when a song has double meanings like this one, especially as you can still listen to it and not have to think about the "economy" meaning.  Straight-out political songs that tackle the problem directly  à la Megadeth are rather easy to do (for the same subject, see the song Bite the Hand); it's harder to put a hidden meaning and still make the song comperehensible from the "obvious" point of view. I didn't think of the economy at all before LC's post, but now it seems pretty clear to me.  Though I must admit I also didn't read the lyrics properly at any point.  I'll have to do that for the rest of the sogns when the actual album comes out. 

Anyway, I'm going to bed and tomorrow this forum will be a potential minefield, though I appreciate the efforts of the mods.  This is my last post, see you guys in exactly two months.

Back