Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

So, I'm not slamming the song based on it not being an 80's song - rather, in the 80's, this wouldn't get on a Maiden album.

Yeah -  Drifter, Back in the Village, Gangland and Twilight Zone are way better than this aren't they?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just updated my Ipod...

Can anyone beat 38 plays? :p

Jonszat said:
Yeah -  Drifter, Back in the Village, Gangland and Twilight Zone are way better than this aren't they?

Actually, in my opinion, they are :bigsmile:
Well, except maybe Gangland. :p

I'm sure this song will be a grower, they usually are, but even so, its not the brilliance some are saying it is.

Well I've listened to the song a few times more and it's still not growing on me. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to give up my tickets to Chicago just because I don't like the new song. Hopefull it will be better live

Jonszat said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just updated my Ipod...

Can anyone beat 38 plays? :p

Jesus Christ man! I'm at 9

Is it just me, or is there a huge similarity between the first riffs in 'El Dorado' and Dickinson's 'Book of Thel'?

I wouldn't call it "huge". It's there ... but those riffs are also similar to dozens of others. When you lay power chords over an E pedal, similarities are sometimes bound to occur.

I can't figure out who has wrote this song. Im fairly certain that dave or nicko didn't write it. Im convinced that bruce wrote the lyrics and steve wrote the bass but im unsure about H.

If i had to make a bet i would say  Dickinson/Harris.

Also does anybody know who played that intro wasted years bit. Souns a bit like dave but a bit messy so i think janick. If its tapped then i would say dave because ive never ever seen jan tap.

Overall i like the song. I would say its better than most of the rockers since the late 80's. Nicko sounds great, steve is at his best and bruce sounds decent. H's solo impressed me and the other two were ok. Should be great live.

Play Classics! said:
Let's put it like this: If Eldorado is a highlight on the album, I'll be deeply disappointed.
If, however, it's one of the weaker tracks, it would propbably mean a great album.
I very highly doubt that it's going to be the strongest song on the album.

Generally speaking, Maiden's singles haven't been their best songs. The exception being the 7th Son singles and Wasted Years.

Edit, while it's on my mind...

I don't think it's really possible to predict what the album will be like from just one song. When you first heard Wildest Dreams, could you have imagined Paschendale?

Singles are a necesary evil of the industry. Like Led Zep, and other hard rock acts, Maiden are an album band, not some singles driven pop commodity. I much rather sit back and listen to Number of the Beast front to back, than just listen to Run to the Hills or The Prisoner, as an entire album it is a much more rewarding experiance.

I've listened to the new song quite a few times now. I didn't really like it at first, but it's grown on me.
Although, I'm not too crazy about the chorus for some reason.

Onhell said:
Singles are a necesary evil of the industry. Like Led Zep, and other hard rock acts, Maiden are an album band, not some singles driven pop commodity. I much rather sit back and listen to Number of the Beast front to back, than just listen to Run to the Hills or The Prisoner, as an entire album it is a much more rewarding experiance.
For sure! In fact, I usually end up listening to the other album tracks rather than the singles which are always weaker than the other songs on the album and are over played live.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I don't think it's really possible to predict what the album will be like from just one song. When you first heard Wildest Dreams, could you have imagined Paschendale?

I tried, and I failed.

The overall feeling I got from this song is very similar to Born To Be Wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8

And when I learned the title of the song and saw the cover, I said, "Yea, they nailed it. They did exactly what they wanted."

All the posts say things like "this song reminds of 80's and today's Iron Maiden at the same time". I will take one more step (one more decade): I think the song, (especially the verse) reminds of 70's bands that were influential on Iron Maiden music. It feels fresh because Iron Maiden covered that song and inserted its own identity and a lot of interpretation. The bass sound is definitely the best part of El-Dorado, because it feels like a roaring motorcycle (thanks to the guitar that plays in unison with it). That's the essence of the song.

The sound is fresh to me. but is the song fresh? nope. The song progresses in a very predictable way. The only thing that I couldn't guess was the order of solos. I was expecting Dave/H/Janick, but it was H/Dave/Janick. Shock! Each section feels like they were written separately and put together later on without much stitching. I didn't feel like the song was flowing as well as 2 Min to Midnight or Sign of the Cross.

The album and the single covers are both exceptional. single cover delivers that 70's nostalgia and completes the song. As for the album cover, I liked it a lot too. It will be more meaningful when we hear all the album, but even though I saw the song titles, I can see where it fits. Nevertheless, I defer my judgement and save my comments about the album cover to a future date.

I totally agree with the morotcycle idea (which came to my head instantly as the song did burst on my stereo, this afternoon) and the 70's nod like to Priest, Purple and Lizzy more straight forward rockers. The single artwork is just like the first comic and mags specialized in UFO's, aliens and conspiracies; the album artwork seems like a game cover from the 90's of some Sega video game and being a kid totally into R-Type and those sort of games in the 90's, it feels really great!

The titles only make us guess, but I feel a more of broadening approach lyrically than I thought the titles would suggest. I was expecting title that would instantly makes me think of The X Files, Area 51 and all of that, which would be amazing. It seems that there'll be a lot of metaphors, a lot hidden meanings and read between the lines sort of stories, which I can already see on El Dorado lyrics (El Dorado is a ufo crashing site, if I'm not mistaken, a Poe's poem and it's also the story of a saviour from an indian legend. It seems that Bruce merged all with his own approach and I quite like it). Can't wait for August 16th!!!

Forostar, you're right, man. I just need to stop to feel sorry for other people's misery. It's just that I'd like that everyone could enjoy the song and feel good just as I am. :D
Inspiration for El Dorado single artwork - http://psychosaurus.com/wood/images/ws10.jpg

Back