Official Star Wars Thread

They are the biggest, epic and most popular adventure and fantasy blockbusters divided over several films. Both are probably the most discussed franchises on this forum as well. I find it interesting (and amusing) to see how (different) these are treated out here while the general public opinions -at least as voted on the IMDB- probably do not differ that much. However unimportant some people may find the IMDB, both blockbusters are on it, so that can be compared. If someone knows a better way to measure public opinion/popularity, I'd like to know.

If someone knows a better way to measure public opinion/popularity, I'd like to know.

Box office scores.

Seriously. This is the most reliable indicator of popularity possible. If people like something, they will pay to go see it. If not, they won't. Obviously, this does not monitor why people like something, and everyone may have different reasons. But for the film industry, this has been the one and only working instrument.
There is the caveat that poor promotion or timing can make a film perform poorly which otherwise would have done well, and there are some examples of films that grew to become popular in subsequent years or even decades. But these are few and far between, and I would wager they are within the margin of error of any measurement tool.

Box office scores.

Seriously. This is the most reliable indicator of popularity possible. If people like something, they will pay to go see it. If not, they won't. Obviously, this does not monitor why people like something, and everyone may have different reasons. But for the film industry, this has been the one and only working instrument.
There is the caveat that poor promotion or timing can make a film perform poorly which otherwise would have done well, and there are some examples of films that grew to become popular in subsequent years or even decades. But these are few and far between, and I would wager they are within the margin of error of any measurement tool.
I guess a lot of people (me included) pay to go see a new Star Wars movie without having the slightest idea if it's any good, so while this might be an "indicator of popularity", it's definitely not an indicator of quality.

Box office scores.

I would specifically add second week scores to this. If The Last Jedi shows a steeper drop off in the second week compared to the previous two Star Wars films that could be an indication that the negative reception is affecting attendance.

It was fun. I'm off for pizza then I'm going to read all recent comments and spoilers before discussing it.

Third time tomorrow! I'm still genuinely eager to watch it.

However, I gotta say that the negative buzz starts wearing me out... I've spent too much time observing the heated conversation around the film instead of chilling out and digesting it on my own. Not saying any of it influences my opinion, not at all, but this stuff can be kind of depressing.

It is disappointing. I found the movie extremely refreshing and exciting.

Just saw it and I have so many thoughts...but I'm not sure what I think about it at all.

I will say that I personally loved the humor. The opening scene alone was so melodramatic that I started to groan, thank God they undercut that seriousness.

I count myself as one of the people who turned up to the midnight premiere and left feeling deflated and disappointed.

I do not understand the critical ravings for it at all, and find it comforting (r.e. Rotten Tomatoes etc) to know that I am not alone. I'm not going to make a dramatic showing of saying that I am done with the franchise when I know that realistically I will still line up next year, and probably the year after. Nonetheless I'd rate this bottom of my list, and have absolutely no intention of watching it again.

All this said, it's heartening to hear that some of you enjoyed it.

I have amazingly avoided all spoilers thus far. Seeing it Saturday with the wife.

It's really interesting reading the spoiler free reactions as they are so varied. I've heard "it's refreshing", "it's formulaic", "Luke was out of character", "Luke was awesome", "They destroyed my childhood", "They rekindled my inner child" etc...can't wait to see it to see what the fuss is.

25498090_10155227618402005_4593810120749378077_n.jpg

:(

Back