Official Star Wars Thread

This is fucking insane (in the most positive sense)! I can barely contain my excitement. The best film-related news I've heard since the announcement of Ep VII. Rian Johnson is genious and at this point I'm already convinced The Last Jedi will be outstanding. Great call by Lucasfilm to keep him and utilise his talent this way. And on his part, it shows he loved working on Star Wars enough to jump right back into it and commit big time. That's very reassuring.

The announcement is super smart, because it's great publicity for The Last Jedi. And it comes from a company plagued with production problems. They MUST realise they can't risk another behind-the-scenes disaster and the fact they announced this new trilogy means they know they have the right guy and that this is going to work.

As for what it could be about, I think something set centuries before TPM is likely. I've never been an advocate of an Old Republic type of film, but having RJ doing it is a total game changer. An entire era created by him? Yes, please. Obviously I would expect the games to be disregarded completely. I love KotOR but its film potential is highly exaggerated by fans. Besides, you don't hire such a creative mind to do a video adaptation. I want his canvas to be as clean as possible. If this is a trilogy, it will most likely be centred around Force users. This is when Star Wars is at its best and I doubt they would risk three movies by doing something niche like a bounty hunter story.

The big question is: when? 2020 - right after Ep IX? Or 2022 - after one more standalone? I think they should do whatever they can to do the former. Strike the iron while it's hot. They can return to spin-offs in between the 3 films.

Nice place in Montenegro, I've heard.
LMgs3xU.gif

I dunno... I'm having Star Wars fatigue right now. Releasing a new SW movie every year is diluting the overall enjoyment of the series for me.

SW movies used to feel like events. Releasing all of these new movies just feels like they'll be disposable vanilla action flicks that fade away from memory not long after they're released. I'm already feeling that way with Rogue One. I completely feel that way with the Marvel universe. All of the Marvel movies are good/serviceable...but how many since the first Iron Man and Avengers have been truly great? I'm worried that's the path Disney is heading down with SW. With so many SW products now in the chain, I would think that it would be difficult for Disney to ensure that all of them get the meticulous care/world class attention that they deserve.

Last edited:
I would agree with that, except I'm in the small minority that thinks Avengers 2 is great and Avengers is only OK.

Spider Man was also up there.

Releasing a new SW movie every year is diluting the overall enjoyment of the series for me.
Personally I don't feel any fatigue (I understand some people could), but it's good that there will be a break soon. Solo is coming out in May 2018 and Episode IX in December 2019, so this longer gap will build adequately bigger hype for the trilogy's finale.

SW movies used to feel like events. Releasing all of these new movies just feels like they'll be disposable vanilla action flicks that fade away from memory not long after they're released. I'm already feeling that way with Rogue One. I completely feel that way with the Marvel universe. All of the Marvel movies are good/serviceable...but how many since the first Iron Man and Avengers have been truly great? I'm worried that's the path Disney is heading down with SW. With so many SW products now in the chain, I would think that it would be difficult for Disney to ensure that all of them get the meticulous care/world class attention that they deserve.

Same. You've got to give it to the old EU: convoluted mess, yes - but you got to choose what level of fandom you wanted to admit to. Disney wants everything full on 100.

I've started watching through all the films in preparation for episode 8. Just finished Revenge of the Sith. Episodes I-III are the best of course. :jedi:

Bruce and Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) :):

DQRNRebW0AAKX7O.jpg

Apparently taken this morning in Finland.​

Back