Official Star Wars Thread

I kinda feel bad for Trevorrow. I know a lot of people were unhappy with him being tapped for the final movie, but I think this is the sort of thing where the director hardly matters. It's going to mostly be the vision of Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and the other powers that be at Lucasfilm.

It really sucks for Trevorrow, but I'm relieved. I didn't like Jurassic World at all and I've heard The Book of Henry is atrocious. Moreover, some time ago Lucasfilm hired a new writer to fix Trevorrow's script for IX, so it looks like he had troubles nailing the story.

My dream scenario is Rian Johnson coming back for both writing and directing. I can't image Lucasfilm not considering it since The Last Jedi is the only new Star Wars film to have zero production issues. The problem is that the guy could probably use a break after finishing TLJ, although he admitted on Twitter that he would do another SW film within a heartbeat. If not him, they're going to get a big, established name. They're done with up-and-coming directors.

It's going to mostly be the vision of Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and the other powers that be at Lucasfilm
Not exactly. Rian Johnson revealed that when writing The Last Jedi he had near absolute creative control. There was no outline for this trilogy. There was just The Force Awakens and he had to build on it. Of course, the director of the final chapter has the least creative space, but still, it's not like the story is set in stone already.

I didn't like Jurassic World at all
Jurassic World was stupid. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it was literally like what a kid would come up with after seeing Jurassic Park. "We'll have ARMY raptors! And a T-rex Raptor! Good idea!" Definitely not what I want to see in Star Wars!

Not exactly. Rian Johnson revealed that when writing The Last Jedi he had near absolute creative control. There was no outline for this trilogy. There was just The Force Awakens and he had to build on it. Of course, the director of the final chapter has the least creative space, but still, it's not like the story is set in stone already.
Sure. But, as we're now seeing, that creative control only lasts as long as his vision lines up with the company.

The vision has to be good and stay true to the spirit of Star Wars. Lucasfilm know their franchise better than any hired director and they protect it. This is literally the only example I can think of where studio meddling is motivated by right reason.

There's no way around it, though - they're messy. How on earth didn't they make 150% sure they're hiring the right guy during negotiations (three cases now - Trank, Lord & Miller, Trevorrow)? They were hasty with directors and this will change.

There's no way around it, though - they're messy. How on earth didn't they make 150% sure they're hiring the right guy during negotiations (three cases now - Trank, Lord & Miller, Trevorrow)? They were hasty with directors and this will change.

Four. Gareth Edwards was by all accounts replaced, but chose to accept the demands and meddling to avoid damaging his career too much.

Well, the way I see it, it was more of a cooperation than "accepting demands." ;) I don't think the situation with Rogue One was nearly as harsh as it was in the case of Han Solo and IX.

I'm sure J.J. is well aware of the backlash all the rehashes got. I hope they won't let that happen again. In a way, it is only now that he has a chance to make his Star Wars.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that, as the one who started this whole trilogy, he may want to backtrack on some things Rian Johnson is doing. So I hope he will be able to forget his old mindset and build on the current state of the trilogy as opposed to his initial vision.

I'm actually fairly content with the news. Trevorrow scared the daylights out of me simply because he generated nothing of significant acclaim other than a decent yet forgettable summer popcorn flick with Jurassic World. It seemed incredibly risky for Disney to entrust the final chapter of this trilogy (which in all likelihood will be the last to have a direct connection with the OT) to someone of Trevorrow's limited pedigree.

Here's the thing with JJ...while TFA was lacking in the plot department, he did capture the spirit of the OT. The first half of the movie had me grinning ear to ear (even if I was simultaneously cursing the excessive callbacks). It felt and looked like something that was part of Lucas' original universe. I know that some people don't really give much credence to that, but I think he did as well as anyone could given the pressure (plot aside).

Back