Official Star Wars Thread

The Han Solo news is crazy! Damn, at this stage of production? So many thoughts right now, but overall I think people at Lucasfilm know what they're doing.

Don't worry, we're still flying half a film!

Edit: No, but seriously? How does this even happen this late?

Last edited:
I imagine some things become apparent only as the production unfolds... But I agree, this is a a very late and extremely radical shake-up. I trust Lucasfilm fully, though, and to be honest I admire that they were willing to risk a PR disaster for the good of the project (if that's what happened). I'm curious how will the situation develop, especially since they were expected to kick off the promotion of the film during D23 expo next month.

If you're interested, you can read up on the story here: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...pher-miller-have-left-star-wars-han-solo.html

Ron Howard's a fantastic director. Have complete faith in him. Come on, he made Dan Brown's books into watchable films. If he can do that, he's the guy you want for this.

Yeah, I'm sure Ron Howard will make exactly the film he is hired to make, make it competently, and it will be enjoyable. However, I'm already betting this will be the least interesting (re: boundary pushing/experimental) of all 6 of these new SW films.

I think (pure speculation) that Howard might have been in negotiations to direct one of the future spin-offs. That would explain such a quick hire.

That's a highly tendentious article. Borderline ugly if you ask me. Directors have huge influence over actor's performance and it doesn't surprise me there was something off about Ehrenreich's Solo given Lord & Miller's approach. I don't believe it has much to do with his acting capabilities. Hiring an acting coach could mean various things. One of them is that Lucasfilm can't afford any further mistakes, so any help (including that of an acting coach) might turn out useful. I think they want to make sure they're crafting the right Han Solo character and perhaps want the coach to help keeping it on track and in line with what's in the script. I'm not saying I'm sure Ehrenreich is gonna do an outstanding job. We just have no evidence to claim otherwise yet.

Sources report that Lord & Miller were encouraging improvisation, adding too much comedy to the mix and that they were not eager to compromise. As a result, they drifted away from the script, which made Kathleen Kennedy and writer Lawrence Kasdan - the guy who shaped Han Solo in TESB, RotJ and TFA - unhappy. Now maybe this is just me, but, paradoxically, the whole drama made me more encouraged towards this film (overall I'm skeptical of the young Han Solo idea). From my point of view it is a testament to how much Lucasfilm cares about what Star Wars should be and knows they have to nail this. I'm hearing voices that it sucks they're micromanaging, but I think this is absolutely what they should be doing. You have to hit that sweet spot between being original and staying true to what Star Wars is about in order to make a successful new instalment of the series. Take Rian Johnson for example. The Last Jedi is shaping up to be bold and original with no production problems whatsoever, because he knows what he's doing. Apparently there were some issues with Gareth Edwards' vision of Rogue One, but he was willing to co-operate and compromise with the studio. Eventually we got a truly great film - something totally new, yet comfortably familiar.

By the way, apparently Ehrenreich himself raised objections to the direction the character was going into.
Star Wars News Net - a pretty reliable source said:
For anyone who’s worried that the actor playing a young Han Solo isn’t taking his role seriously, rest easy – Ehrenreich one of the most important people involved with the project who voiced his concerns about the project at a crucial moment in the movie’s development, which means that he’s absolutely committed to bringing his A-game to this role. Ehrenreich’s performance has been described to us as being an interesting new take on Han that stands out on its own while still honoring the essentials of the character, and that it’s a worthy interpretation of the iconic scoundrel.

And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times. Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage (which is also a normal part of the production process, but this is where things get interesting).

I very agree with all of that, @Srogyy. The vision of keeping Han Solo in character at all costs in encouraging and shows that the people running the Star Wars ship actually care about the integrity of their product.

Normally I feel underwhelmed when we get BTS reels instead of proper trailers, but this one is really cool!

Best news to come out of Star Wars land in awhile. They better get McGregor on board or it isn't worth it.

Best news to come out of Star Wars land in awhile. They better get McGregor on board or it isn't worth it.

Absolutely! If they managed to make a really good prequel movie with middle age Obi-Wan played my McGregor, it would at least make the prequel trilogy worth it.

Back