Official Star Wars Thread

8b0cf9b3fe402a2c.jpg

Ring Theory-author Mike Klimo is seemingly working on a new piece. From his Twitter, it seems like he is working to show that the prequels were made as a collage of scenes and dialogue copied/referenced from classic cinema.

https://twitter.com/mikeklimo

Does it have any importance? Maybe not, but it does show a more avant-garde approach from Lucas to these films than previously known. Interesting to see how convincing the case will be and how much (just a few scenes? every single shot?) of the films it concerns.

People who'd rather think the prequels are bad films made by a hack need not concern themselves. :p

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Star Wars Day before today. Unfortunately, I can't unlearn why today is the quasi-official Star Wars Day: "May the fourth be with you."

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I prefer "Revenge of the Sixth" myself.

Those Force Awakens-photos @ Vanity Fair sure looks old-school. I do hope they will be able to marry those elements together with the new.

Yeah, they look old-school because everything in them is real. Not CGI.

Yeah right. They are still using CGI. Abrams was quoted saying that there are still "enormous" amounts of CGI in the film, but that they aimed at trying to make it look old-school.

What I meant was the filter on the photos together with the stuff in them - it really is no different from what they made for the prequels, but the whole presentation is made to look like a film from the 70's in those Vanity Fair photos.

I'm not saying they aren't using CGI. But they are not only using CGI. Unlike some other Star Wars films.

I guess you're referring to the Clone Wars? :P As for the prequels, there was an unprecedented amount of models and props made for them, so to say they only used CGI is flat out wrong. They did enhance pretty much every shot though, and I believe it is more the look of the finished film than the actual amount of real or computer generated stuff that people have caught on to. As for the animation, comparing the now decade old Revenge of the Sith to Jackson's The Hobbit-trilogy do put things into perspective... (In favour of Lucas.)

One of the main problems is that the actors interacted with characters that weren't there and added only later via CGI. Another is that they didn't know the environment they were supposed to act in - they didn't see a thing of it. If you don't notice it, good for you. I notice it.

CG isn't the enemy. The method by which CG is used is the enemy. Green screen sets suck, no matter which way you cut it. Lucas did incredible amounts of model work - but they weren't models that seemed to be used to good effect in the storytelling process. Finally, he used less as they went on. Battle droid models were progressively replaced by battle droid CG.

Back