Official MLB baseball thread.

There's a really good story on SI about the rampant pitch-doctoring that's going on in the MLB with pitchers illegally using "sticky stuff" on baseballs to increase spin rates and just how pervasive and widespread it is and the effects it's having on the offense, and the game in general.

As a Cubs fan I’m surprised that I’m okay with them making it. It’s hard for me to root against small market teams, and their pitching staff is outstanding; multiple Cy Young candidates in that rotation for sure.
I actually feel the same way. I wouldn't say that I'm actively rooting for the Brewers, but I'm not opposed to them winning, either. At this point I'm kind of watching the league from afar, with no real horse in the race in terms of who I'd like to win it all this year.

In other news, I'm in absolute awe of what Ohtani is doing. He just hit his 40th homer of the season last night, while also striking out 8 batters over 8 innings of work at the same time. What he's doing this year is honestly remarkable. You have to go all the way back to Babe Ruth to find anything that even remotely compares to what Shohei Ohtani is doing.

I was rooting for the Brewers big time a few years back when they went to game 7 of the NLCS against the Dodgers, who might be my most despised team in the MLB. But the Giants have always been my team to watch when the Cubs suck, and now that they have KB and are setting the league on fire, I’m happy for them.

I also have my eyes on the Yankees and Red Sox due to Rizzo and Schwarber respectively, even though I lump those teams in with the Dodgers in the “I always want to see them lose” pile.

Ohtani is outstanding. It’s a shame that he, like his teammate Mike Trout, plays for a team that can never quite get there.

Well MLB is officially in a lockout. Here's to hoping everything will be resolved in time for next year's season to begin on time, although I'm not super confident that will happen. :(

I have hope the regular season will open on time (or real close to it) . Sadly, I think it will be with a universal DH

I have hope the regular season will open on time (or real close to it) . Sadly, I think it will be with a universal DH
As a Cubs fan, I had always opposed the DH as it removes quite a bit of strategy from the game. But in recent years I’m actually welcoming it since pitchers are an automatic out 99% of the time. Sure, you occasionally get a pitcher who can hit in the .200s (remember Big Z?), but that’s definitely the exception rather than the rule. Every team has “that” guy who can hit but can’t field his way out of a paper bag, and let’s face it - the MLB is losing fans and they know it. Hitting draws in more fans than pitching.

As a Cubs fan, I had always opposed the DH as it removes quite a bit of strategy from the game. But in recent years I’m actually welcoming it since pitchers are an automatic out 99% of the time. Sure, you occasionally get a pitcher who can hit in the .200s (remember Big Z?), but that’s definitely the exception rather than the rule. Every team has “that” guy who can hit but can’t field his way out of a paper bag, and let’s face it - the MLB is losing fans and they know it. Hitting draws in more fans than pitching.
I get all of that, but the strategy part of the game really suffers with the DH. I also like some separation between the leagues and this was really all that was left. I kinda liked the different umpires (and their uniforms and the AL umps with the old chest protectors). I work in analytics for a living, but think they have really hurt the game and there are was too many Ks, BBs, and all or nothing swings.

The Astros could take it all tonight. That no hitter was insane!
No thanks. Nothing against Dusty but I'm rooting for my boy Schwarbs and the Phills. Until every member of that cheating Astros team is out of baseball, I cannot in good faith root for them. The coaches responsible should have been banned from baseball for life, and the smug arrogance of players like Bregman makes me sick.

London series between the Cubs and Cardinals coming up this weekend. As a die-hard Cubbie fan I’m pretty stoked for this and will be waking my ass up early to watch it.

How do the English feel about baseball? I know there’s quite a few Brits on the forums and I’d love to hear your input!

Back