Official MLB baseball thread.

Except this season the NHL has 24 teams in the post season.

Isn’t that like 75% of the teams? That’s absurd.

Last I heard, the city of Pittsburgh declined the Jays’ request to play at PNC. They’re now expected to play at their AAA facility in Buffalo. They’re currently working on updating the lighting for night games.

Isn’t that like 75% of the teams? That’s absurd.
Yes, but it's also a confusing "This isn't the playoffs just a play in"

Whatever, who cares, everyone can make the playoffs as far as I'm concerned. MLB is wrong having it only be 8, that's so dumb and it's a legitimate reason I stopped caring about baseball when I was a kid.

MLB is wrong having it only be 8, that's so dumb and it's a legitimate reason I stopped caring about baseball when I was a kid.
Well, you'll be glad to hear that for this year, MLB is having expanded playoffs of 16 teams.

I disagree with your sentiment that a smaller playoff field is dumb. It makes the regular season mean more, and rewards the best teams, who actually deserve to be there. When you have over half the league in the playoffs it feels cheap and you frequently get teams that are below .500 in, and those teams don't deserve to have the chance to fight for a championship IMO.

It begins... not even a week into the season and we already have a major outbreak within a team. At least 14 players on the Marlins have now tested positive for Covid following their series against the Phillies. Their home opener, which was scheduled for today, is now canceled, and tonight's Yankees - Phillies game has also been postponed over concerns about the visitors' clubhouse.

Only 3 games in, and the remainder of the season is in serious jeopardy.

Aren't they in Miami? The county with 104,000 infections, the third most infected county in the USA? And aren't they moving around fairly freely?

Jeez, stupid MLB.
That's where their based out of, yes. Their first series was played in Philadelphia, though. They were supposed to play their first home games this week in Miami, but that's looking very doubtful at the moment.

I'm just happy the O's didn't finish in the cellar.

And Lampwick, I wouldn't sweat it. Anything that happens this season is gonna have a big fat asterisk next to it anyhow.

Anything that happens this season is gonna have a big fat asterisk next to it anyhow.
Very true. I’m pulling for San Diego too, though. I’d also be okay with Oakland or Tampa Bay. Braves too. Even Miami. Just not the damn Dodgers or Yankees, and definitely not Houston!

All the major networks want their wet dream Dodgers-Yankees World Series, and I hope they never get it.

Chicago’s performance was disappointing, but at least the White Sox fought for it. That’s a powerful young team, and they’ll be back. The Cubs, though? Absolutely pathetic. The offense couldn’t back up Hendricks and Darvish on their solid performances. Theo won’t do it, but they need to get rid of some of their “core” pieces. Bryant and Schwarber for starters, but I’d even consider Baez. His plate discipline is barely any better than it was four years ago. This team’s window has sadly closed.

I would cut the Cubs some slack this year if it were not the exact same story the past 3 seasons, the bats go quite for long stretches at a time and they have still been searching for a leadoff hitter since Fowler (I get why they did not re-sign Fowler) .. but they need a few more good contact hitters. I think baseball in general has become way too obsessed with launch angle up and down the lineup. It's fine for the middle of the order, but you need some guys that will run up 10 pitch ABs and be fine with singles when that is all there is to get.

I would like a San Diego/Tampa series

My favourite Hank Aaron story is about the time he got Jim Herd fired from being the head of WCW. He was an awesome ambassador of the game.

El Mago works an illusion!

The guy just makes opposing defensive players nervous. The whole psych out to distract the (not very skilled) first baseman away from the runner on second was brilliant. By the time he knew what was happening, it was too late. Then the errant throw to actually get Javy out, then Javy actually scoring on Happ’s single because he got himself into scoring position!

I hope the Cubs re-sign this guy. Never have I ever seen a more entertaining baseball player. I know he needs to work on his plate discipline, but I think he’s worth it. No way they’re gonna fork over the dough for Bryant, anyway.

El Mago works an illusion!

The guy just makes opposing defensive players nervous. The whole psych out to distract the (not very skilled) first baseman away from the runner on second was brilliant. By the time he knew what was happening, it was too late. Then the errant throw to actually get Javy out, then Javy actually scoring on Happ’s single because he got himself into scoring position!

I hope the Cubs re-sign this guy. Never have I ever seen a more entertaining baseball player. I know he needs to work on his plate discipline, but I think he’s worth it. No way they’re gonna fork over the dough for Bryant, anyway.
For sure .. he is one player I would pay good money to see play .. it is never really a dull moment from baserunning, tagging, avoiding tags, while it would be nice if he could lay off the sliders down and away, any ball he hits could go 10 miles, and just shit like this that he pulls out of his ass that should never work .. but it works.

Back