Official Maidenfans poll: Favorite Maiden guitarist 2015

Who is your favorite Iron Maiden guitarist?

• Dave Murray

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 68 54.4%
  • Janick Gers

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
As a new album is released, all our major polls in this forum restart! Here's your place to argue about who's the best guitarist in our favorite band.

Personally, I still have to vote for H, but I'll say that the gap between H and Janick has nearly closed. Five years ago this was a no-brainer, but now it's a close call.

I voted for Davey last time, he's always been my favourite guitarist, but I'm feeling Jan might get my vote this time round. I'm gonna let the album sink in a bit more before I vote

Personally, I still have to vote for H, but I'll say that the gap between H and Janick has nearly closed. Five years ago this was a no-brainer, but now it's a close call.
As far as songwriting goes, this is true for me too, but as far as guitar playing goes it's Adrian no question. He has the best guitar sound, best phrasing, and he's the most open to experimentation. Of the three, he's the only one who seems to consistently get better as a guitar player. That's not to say the other two are bad, but they found a style and stuck with it.

As far as songwriting goes, this is true for me too, but as far as guitar playing goes it's Adrian no question. He has the best guitar sound, best phrasing, and he's the most open to experimentation. Of the three, he's the only one who seems to consistently get better as a guitar player. That's not to say the other two are bad, but they found a style and stuck with it.

I think personal preference is also at work. I've come to like Janick's solos much more than before.

Janice is still hit and miss for me. Definitely more consistent than in the 90s, but still hit and miss. I haven't gotten deep into the solos in this album but he's good on most of what I've heard.

Fully agreeed. Whenever an Adrian solo comes on, it's a massive rush of brightness and energy. His sound is incredible, his phrasing is very soulful and he gets out of his comfort zone way more frequently than the other two.

Perfect.

Am I supposed to vote on who I think is best today, or who I think has been the best through all these years, who is the best on most albums, etc?
Because my answer very much depends on that.

Going to vote for Janick again.
He has Co-written a lot of my favourite Maiden songs and is such a free player...

For all the reasons, Adrian Smith. Besides, he's always been most metal among the three ;)

Back