Official Hockey discussion thread

Spacek is a bum, and Kaberle is an all-star (for the Leafs, but still).

2 assists in his first game. I think he just likes playing in Canada.

http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/Research ... Review.pdf

Alan Ryder's 2010-11 NHL Review.

Some interesting stuff there.  A synopsis of sorts:

Most Valuable Forward
1. Jonathan Toews
2. Martin St. Louis
3. Alexander Ovechkin
4. Ryan Kesler
5. Corey Perry
6. Loui Eriksson
7. Thomas Vanek
8. Alex Tanguay
9. Claude Giroux
10. Anze Kopitar

Most Valuable Defensive Forward
1. Travis Zajac
2. Loui Eriksson
3. Adam Hall
4. Dana Tyrell
5. Samuel Pahlsson

Most Valuable Defenseman
1. Alex Pietrangelo
2. John Carlson
3. Brett Clark
4. Nicklas Lidstrom
5. Dan Boyle

Most Valuable Defensive Defenseman
1. Brett Clark
2. Andy Greene
3. John Carlson
4. Paul Martin
5. Henrik Tallinder

Most Valuable Goaltender
1. Cam Ward
2. Tim Thomas
3. Pekka Rinne
4. Carey Price
5. Roberto Luongo

Most "Clean" Players
1. Martin St. Louis
2. Loui Eriksson
3. Brett Clark
4. Michael Grabner
5. Pavel Datsyuk

Most Valuable Rookie
1. Corey Crawford
2. James Reimer
3. Sergei Bobrovsky
4. Cory Schneider
5. John Carlson

LooseCannon said:
4 points in a game. That's incredible. Now, if he keeps it up, and scores like this for the rest of the season, the Pens will be able to say the long layoff was worth it.

Hopefully Sid comes back. While I don't especially like him, the NHL is a better place with him playing.

No posts in the hockey thread for over a month, eh? Are everybody's teams in the cellar? Depression setting in? A bit of a rollercoaster here in Winterpeg, but the Jets are still doing better than most of us thought they would, although not on the road. Fervent hope for a playoff spot... Thank H for hockey and rock n roll... winter in Winnipeg would be unbearable without them...

My Sabres are a depressing mess right now. Worst stretch in a decade.
Something has to drop soon.

No posts in the hockey thread for over a month, eh? Are everybody's teams in the cellar? Depression setting in? A bit of a rollercoaster here in Winterpeg, but the Jets are still doing better than most of us thought they would, although not on the road. Fervent hope for a playoff spot... Thank H for hockey and rock n roll... winter in Winnipeg would be unbearable without them...

OH god no, The Bruins are doing just fine and the Pens are holding on despite their injury woes so I just didn't want to rub it in y'all's faces :D

Malkin having another MVP year while Crosby is out? No way! LC was right, This guy is going to be a consistent beast when he gets traded. Oh and it is "when" and not "if". Crosby is the franchise player. I'm guessing the pens can only keep two MAYBE three players of their current stable of super stars or "super stars" (I'm looking at you Fleury!). They'll go for Crosby, Fleury and maybe Letang, you know, one in each position. But when the Cap comes a knockin', Malkin and Staal will be a rockin'.

Good god, I think Barry Melrose is officially an idiot. This is his assessment on why the Capitals will make the playoffs and be "dangrous."

Washington Capitals: When all is said and done, I think Ottawa is going to be the team at the bottom of the top eight at the outside looking in, but the one that's really interesting and really scary of the teams I expect to make it is Washington. I think Washington is a better team than Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg or any of the other teams fighting for that last spot and I'll think they'll make the playoffs. Tomas Vokoun has been giving them good goaltending, Alex Ovechkin is starting to score and I think Nicklas Backstrom will be back. I think they'll end up catching Florida in the Southeast because head-to-head, I just think Washington is the better team. But I think Florida is better than both Ottawa and Toronto so I would say Washington gets three, Florida gets 7 and Toronto gets 8. I think Ottawa is out.

You can sum up why the Capitals are so dangerous in one word: talent. Washington's lineup just scares you. You look at that lineup and you wonder how they're playing for seventh. If coach Dale Hunter can get them going in the last 10 games, get the power play going a little bit and maybe they make a little trade at the deadline, they will be a very scary team. What's more, I like Ovechkin's game right now. He's flying, he's getting his chances and he's passing the puck. They're going to need great goaltending, but they've been getting the goaltending most of the time lately. If I'm the Rangers or Boston, I hope they finish third. I don't want to see them in the first round.

Really Barry? Talent? No shit they got talent, but what have they done with it besides never make it past the second round? It is clear that Washington's "talent" has not been enough and that is why they are int he position they are in to begin with and Florida... a supposedly inferior team, leads a laughable division.... Where does the NHL find these clowns? We make better assessments than these supposed experts. Hell, GuineaPig should have blog on NHL.com.

He coached L.A for like three seasons. Granted they did reach the finals in '93 under his supposed guidance, but if you see the rosters of the Kings in that year and of the Rangers the following year they are all the ex-oilers of the 80's teams, so how much was it Barry Melrose and how much was it having the Great One and half his buddies on a team again? And Yes, he coached Tampa for like two seconds...

The only thing I'm aware of Melrose being noted for in terms of hockey insight is hockey hair.

Re: Jets 4 Boston 2
Wow. The big bad Bruins seem to have some difficulty within the confines of the asylum that is the MTS Centre in Winnipeg... 2 losses for them in a row there... it's sweet to beat the champs baby. Best game the Jets have played all year... if they can be consistent with that kind of play, a playoff spot seems like less of a distant hope.

Winnipeg is nice and close to a spot right now. And they've been at the edge all year. A playoff push isn't out of the question.

Montreal sold Hal Gill for some history and a pick yesterday. Not too bad. Blake Geoffrion will probably pick up a few games in the blue-blanc-et-rouge for propaganda purposes. Then he'll be back to Hamilton where he belongs.

Another possibility for the Jets is finishing first in their division. They are only 3 points back on Florida, even though the Cats have 3 games in hand. Montreal has also closed the gap to 6 points where they were 11 out. Hard to say.

Back