Official Hockey discussion thread

Nope didn't see it, and didn't even read everything on it or the young stars and talent competition. I don't have cable and work until late :(

One of the most exciting things that happened is that the Canadian announcer Rob Mclean was speaking with the NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about expanding the NHL to 32 teams with the two new teams situated in Winnipeg and Halifax.  Bettman said he'd need more than a few seconds to consider it, but Mclean was really pushing for it.  I just remembered this now as I turned on my T.V., switched to a news station and saw a news report from Halifax and how the fans were excited at the prospect.  (Naturally, I felt a tremendous urge to log on and post this information  :D).  I'm not sure what the chances of such an expansion are, but I'm excited.  Mclean also suggested a break up of divisions horizontally.  This way we'd have an all Canadian division, northern American, S.E. and S.W.  I don't care how they split the divisions as long as we get more Canadian teams. 

I don't want the league to expand. The more they expand the more grueling it is for the players, the players drafted will be less skilled merely to fill up the two new teams (just like the previous expansion), sure with time the talent pool will rise (like it has currently), but What do they want to accomplish with so many teams? for fewer people to actually see start players? as it is Crosby won't visit L.A until 2010... WTF? The schedule is a mess and I don't think they should mess with the divisions too much. What they should REALLY do is move american teams in markets where they don't belong (Hockey in Florida and Arizona? again... WTF?) and move them to Canadian cities. For example: Pittsburgh, obviously they have a deep tradition and what not and I don't want them to move. BUT if they HAVE to I'd rather see them move to Winnipeg, Quebec or Halifax rather than... Kansas City (again.. WTF?). The solution isn't expanding to hav more teams in Canada, it's to move American teams to (or back to in the case of phoenix) Canada.

... And Montreal has been officially overtaken by Ottawa.  I suspected it was only a matter of time.  Tonight, there will be a chance as the two teams play each other.

I think Montreal will come out on top by the end of the season. I love ottawa, but they had their chance (for... 4 seasons now?), now they are struggling.

Well, good for you.  Habs are now 8th in the East, having lost 5/6 of their last games and 2 of them to Ottawa.  Bah!  I knew it!  They're blowing it!  At least they beat the Pens.  :innocent:

It looks like I might have to give a call to my enforcer in order to ...ehm... modify the injury list.  Let Operation Sidney Crosby begin.

The best two way player and tough guy in hockey today was traded by the Flyers to the Predators yesterday. The one and only Peter the Great. (Forsberg). I am biased to him as I lived in Denver during his glory years and had the opportunity to see him on ice numerous times. Especially during the infamous Wings-Avs bloodbaths. This is one tough character. He should have alot more goals than does though.

He should have more goals, but he has been injury-prone, missed 16 games because of his foot and only recently has found a comfortable skate. What's disgusting is the amount of talent Nashville has now. LC and I have been discussing this, NOBODY noticed Nashville being built. They had VERY good picks (Vokoum, Sullivan, Legwald) and trades (Kariya), but people were too busy caring about Pittsburgh and washington. And rightly so, both the pens and caps are "established" teams, who gives a shit about a team in Tennessee? Well they showed us hehe.

The race in the East is tight.  There is a 4 point difference between the 6th place team and the 11th place team.

Funny how Leafs lost to the Bruins and then one the next day, without the weird turn-around at the end. 

Montreal has to get their act together.  Beating up on Boston can only take them so far.

Ok, apparently I've been kept out of the loop, but there has been a lot of debate over fighting lately. I'm pissed because the only "big" mainstream coverage the sport gets is when someone loses a couple of teeth and gets a concussion instead of Sidney or Staal wowing the league with their skills or how tight the playoff race and scoring title races are.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. One of the beauties of hockey is the fighting, a legalized way of venting so players don't resort to more violent outlets like we've seen Simon and Orr do.

So the Pens are a game away from elimination. Oddly, though, I'm not too upset. This group of kids is WAY ahead of schedule and just making the playoffs was great and unexpected. So an early round exit this time around is not too bad.

NY is playing brilliantly and is about to sweep Atlanta... Vancouver is up 3-1 on Dallas which is good. Luongo was definately the missing piece to the Vancouver puzzle, it's a shame he spent all those years with Florida and they never did a thing. I also can't believe it took Vancouver this long to realize they needed a better goalie... The only one that pisses me off is that TB is up 2-1 over NJ. WTF NJ? W...T...F? Even Brodeur is crying over how he can figure Lecavalier out. Is he ESTUPID? You don't say that PUBLICLY!!! Hello! the other team reads the news too!!! Jesus Christ almighty. If you have doubt's and fears keep them to yourself... and your therapist... maybe your wife, no wait, they're divorced cause he fucked her sister, yup. Oh well.... good luck to them.

I am definately with you on the Canucks thing, but the Sens..... eeeeeeh, I don't know. I feel they had a greater chance a couple of years back and last season when Hasek got hurt... again. I'm not too impressed with their squad this year.

Everyone has been saying that and they've been proving them wrong...  Sorry about the Crosby and the Pittsburgh thing  :D :innocent:.

Ottawa v. new Jersey was ugly last night... I watched it with my friends and we were going crazy when they Ottawa was up 4-0... after the 1st we figured it was in the bag so we switched to the Houston Rockets v. Utah game.

30 or so minutes we switch it back and it's 4-3 :(, and New Jersey had all the momentum.  Lucky that the Sens held on.

I might be going to Game 3 of that series, I'm probably getting tickets from someone I know and going with a bunch of friends.

Back