Official Hockey discussion thread

John Tavares just signed the largest free agent contact of the current CBA, taking him to Toronto for 7 years at $11 million per year.

I am a little surprised he went there .. but I guess I should not have been

Hawks made 3 pretty minor moves so far )each of which makes sense, but backup goalie, bottom pairing D-man, and a 4th line winger).. if they are going to do anything big, will need to be via trade. But honestly unless they can swing a top pairing d-man or a top 6 winger or center ... I think they are best off rolling with what they have and let the younger players play.

Apparently Arizona is the place to dump salaries. They already ate Kovalchuk's 17 year nightmare, now they've taken up Hossa's remaining 3 years on a useless contract. He stated he can't play anymore and can't retire until his contract is up.

Yeah, of course they do! Arizona isn't a cap team - they're trying to stay over the cap floor, but with as little expenditures as possible.

Hossa's hit is 5.275, but his actual pay is $1m. That's a huge bargain for the Coyotes, who don't actually have money to spend, on account of they are a hockey team in Arizona.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/coyotes

Here's another really interesting thing about the Coyotes' cap situation - Ekman-Larsson's new contract (8@8.25) pays less up front. Makes me wonder if they are planning on trying to move him before the 10.5m years.

Yeah, of course they do! Arizona isn't a cap team - they're trying to stay over the cap floor, but with as little expenditures as possible.

Hossa's hit is 5.275, but his actual pay is $1m. That's a huge bargain for the Coyotes, who don't actually have money to spend, on account of they are a hockey team in Arizona.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/coyotes

Here's another really interesting thing about the Coyotes' cap situation - Ekman-Larsson's new contract (8@8.25) pays less up front. Makes me wonder if they are planning on trying to move him before the 10.5m years.

Some non-traditional markets have successful franchises. Dallas, the Cali teams, the Panthers thrive on snowbirds, don't know how Tampa does it. Arizona (Glendale specifically) was trying to target the snowbird market, but didn't have the same success. Their AHL affiliate though, the Tucson Roadrunners are a HUGE hit. I think the fact that the arena is smaller, tickets are way cheaper, not much else to do in town and yes, lots of east coast transplants, helped.

As for Ekman-Larsson, I wouldn't be surprised if they do move him. Arizona seems to be one of those team that draft/grow good players and then use them as trading chips in shit deals.

Brooks Orpik got traded to Colorado back in June only to have his last year bought out and got resigned by Washington at the great discount price of $1M. Another Vet going back to an "old team" is Matt Cullen. Got signed by the Pens for the price of a rookie, $650,000. I think he's worth more than that, but he is also 41, maybe they don't want to take THAT big a risk. I like this move by the Pens. As for the Caps... not too sure. Orpik is 37 and sure he helped them win the Cup, but aside from blocking a shit ton of shots he seems more of a liability than anything else.

LOL, fair enough. Definitely a win-win for him and the team. He just got 6.5M and hasn't done jack shit yet, while WSH got him for 1M instead of his original contract of 5.5M.

Washington saves 4.5 in cap space and got the 47th pick to stay the same on D. Not bad cap management by Brian MacClellan.

Iginla to hold a press conference on Monday in Calgary announcing his retirement:
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/jarome-iginla-to-retire-from-nhl

“For sure, it took me a while to just let it go, losing. From seven years of missing the playoffs to almost winning it,” Iginla told the Flames’ website. “And it does still sting a little bit. I’ve always dreamt of being on a Stanley Cup-winning team. That always stayed with me.

“I know now that dream isn’t coming true … But if you said when I started that I was going to play 20 years, experience what I have, I’d have taken it in a heartbeat. I did the best I could, played as hard as I could.

“And all my dreams came true, more than I ever could’ve imagined, except that one dream. It just wasn’t in the cards for me.”

Iginla's career highlight? This of course:

Last edited:
Vegas signed Karlsson to a one year 5.25M contract simply to avoid arbitration. A friend of mine said they're probably skeptical that his 43 goal season wasn't a fluke. He's still young, 25, so if it wasn't they can get a 7-8 year extension next season anyway.

Back