Official Football Thread

D1kOaB8XcAA3Mp7

Banner from the Bayern Munich fans tonight. :lol:

It comes out that Ajax used doping in the tie against Real, UEFA advances Real to the next round. They beat Juventus and Man City to face Liverpool in the Final. Sergio Ramos comes back with a vengeance after serving his suspension and roundhouse kicks Mo Salah, forcing him to come out of the game. Ramos lifts the trophy for the 4th consecutive time as a teary-eyed Salah contemplates life.

You heard it here first.

Oil $$$ sends Swansea out of the cup. Fuck Mansour Al-City from here to eternity. Hope the Emirates are put under an international embargo, all the Sheikh's assets frozen and Pep fucks of to China to look for new challenges.

And may the Manchester City Council decide that the stadium formerly known as the City of Manchester Stadium shall be rebuilt into a sanctuary for strayed pets.

Oil $$$ sends Swansea out of the cup. Fuck Mansour Al-City from here to eternity. Hope the Emirates are put under an international embargo, all the Sheikh's assets frozen and Pep fucks of to China to look for new challenges.

And may the Manchester City Council decide that the stadium formerly known as the City of Manchester Stadium shall be rebuilt into a sanctuary for strayed pets.
But first they must beat Liverpool to the title this year.

It will hurt more if Liverpool nick it, because they're a proper rival and aren't good just because some multi-billionaire threw a dart at their stadium on a map and decided "this is where I'll spend a lot of money". But the puke factor is higher for Al-City. Right now I can't decide which option is worse.

Anyway, Utd need to take the FA cup.

To elaborate. I'd love Liverpool to finish just behind United, every year. City? Want them to do a Leeds, only that they should fall twice as far and spend even more time outside the top flight.

What can a guy from Norway have against Liverpool and Leeds? I can't imagine any Manchester United fans who are not from Manchester or nearby understand the cultural rivalry with Liverpool and Leeds.

What can a guy from Norway have against Liverpool and Leeds? I can't imagine any Manchester United fans who are not from Manchester or nearby understand the cultural rivalry with Liverpool and Leeds.
I won't pretend to have a full understanding of the cultural rivalry between the cities and I won't say that it really influences on my sentiments towards said clubs.

In the case of Liverpool, the thing is that it is, besides United, the English club with the biggest following in Norway. Thus, I know many people who support Liverpool - from pretty casual fairweather fans to diehards who have traveled dozens of times to see them. Many of those would be ready to rub it in the face of everyone around them if Liverpool were to win the league. There aren't that many City fans around.

As for Leeds ... they do actually have quite a following here as well, larger than Man City, going back to when English football became a thing in Norway (around 1970). And the animosity between the fan groups in England has spilled over to Norway. More for the Leeds camp, I would say. But my mention of Leeds in the previous post refers to my wish to see Mansour Al-City, a tumor of modern-day football, copy their downfall and then some. This was unrelated to the Manchester/Leeds rivalry.

Of course, being a geek, I have read quite a bit on the various things that form the cultural rivalry as well :)

Hatred, like the mighty eagle, knows no boarders. And nor should it; fuck Leeds. It broke my balls that we took Alan Smith off them. Him and Bowyer were my two least favourite footballers at the time.
A friend who is a Liverpool fan was givin out about City buyin the league. I pointed out to him that in the last couple of years Liverpool have broken the transfer records for centre halves and goalkeepers. And still cant win shit.
As a Utd fan, its not cool knowing City or Liverpool will win it. It would be funny if Liverpool continued their run of failure in the league but at the same time I really don't want Pep and/or City to get two in a row. But, really, if Utd win the Champions League I wont give a fiddlers fuck who wins the league.

I've been curious about this as well, because I personally can't bring myself to have disdain towards Tottenham Hotspur even though I'm an Arsenal fan.

There aren't that many City fans around.
Yet. I'm sure there will be many Manchester City fans from Ireland and Africa very soon. At my first university the student union was always mobbed for Manchester United Champions League games. The Africans in one part of the bar and the Irish in the other.

the animosity between the fan groups in England has spilled over to Norway
Animosity? Do people who support football clubs from another country and have no cultural connection to the club actually feel animosity towards each other?

fuck Leeds. It broke my balls that we took Alan Smith off them.
I've heard that Leeds fans absolutely despise Alan Smith since he joined Manchester United and were full of joy when he broke his leg. What about Rio Ferdinand and Eric Cantona though?

Leeds might get promoted back to the Premier League this season. They have Marco Bielsa (Athletic Bilbao manager who beat Manchester United en route to the UEFA Cup Final) in charge now who has had a big impact. They lost at home to Sheffield United today though and might have to go through the dreaded play-offs.

Animosity? Do people who support football clubs from another country and have no cultural connection to the club actually feel animosity towards each other?
Maybe not towards each other, but towards each other's football clubs :D And as I say, probably more so for the Leeds fans. And if animosity is a stronger word than I think (remember, after all, English isn't my number one language) let me rephrase and say very strong disliking.

I've heard that Leeds fans absolutely despise Alan Smith since he joined Manchester United and were full of joy when he broke his leg. What about Rio Ferdinand and Eric Cantona though?
So I started following soccer in 1990, 7 yrs old. I had yet to develop a knowledge of the rivalry between teams, except Liverpool because an older sibling supported them so I knew they were the enemy. My dislike of Leeds was more personal than cultural. The main reason I disliked Leeds was because of their players, Smith and Bowyer being the main two. They just seemed like hateful fuckers. I think every fan has teams/players they don't like for whatever reason.
So, really, I don't have a problem with them as a Utd fan, I have no personal experience of it, I dont know why we hate them, don't care, I just remember those two rods playin for them back in the day. But in terms of Liverpool, there are many L'pool fans here and so knowin them helps keep the rivalry fresh and real, if you will. For me, they are are a bigger rival than City because for most of my football life, City were irrelevant.
Id like Leeds to come up so I can get a fresh experience of the rivalry. Makes games more interestin if theres history, I think.
RE Cantona and Rio, two club legends, they could have played for the SS and all still would be forgiven.

Back