Official Football Thread

Forget about Swine Flu, everyone in the country is talking about how Klinsmann was kicked from Bayern (not kidding). Now Jupp Heynckes took his place for the rest of the season.

Yeah I saw it. Heinkes is a very experienced coach but I thought it was a risky (and rude) move to kick Klinsmann out, so soon before the end of the competition, while Bayern still has a chance to win.

I am curious how this will develop. I rather see a new name (Wolfsburg) win.

That's a harsh thing to do - sacking the head coach with a few games remaining of the season, being 3rd in the league and only 3 points behind the leaders ... What is their reasoning for this move?

Besides that, looking forward to tonight's match at Old Trafford, hope it will be more open than the affair at Camp Nou yesterday. I particularly want Arsenal's defense to be more open than Chelsea's. Or more like Chelsea's defense was the last time they were at Old Trafford.

However, I am much more anxious about Saturday. If I was to choose whether United should win the Premiership or the CL, the choice would be so easy it's not even a real choice. Winning the league is priority #1.

I understand the competitive element (to beat all those other English clubs) you're probably getting at, but when you look at the amount of national titles of Manchester United... why again priority no. 1?

The winning of the Champions League is a much more difficult and rare affair. Makes it way more special.
Someone who does not live on an isle should understand that! :P

The main reason; look at who's the main challenger for the title. Also, look at which two English clubs that have the largest number of followers in Norway.

The thing is, seeing Liverpool win the league this season, when United have the chance to get level with them with respect to league titles, would hurt much more than going out in the semi-final (or losing the final) in the Champions League. The CL is a nice bonus.

By the way - although we Norwegians don't live on an isle, we are quite isolated anyway  ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
The main reason; look at who's the main challenger for the title. Also, look at which two English clubs that have the largest number of followers in Norway.

The thing is, seeing Liverpool win the league this season, when United have the chance to get level with them with respect to league titles, would hurt much more than going out in the semi-final (or losing the final) in the Champions League. The CL is a nice bonus.

Fair enough!

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way - although we Norwegians don't live on an isle, we are quite isolated anyway  ;)

That could be it.  ;)

Forostar said:
I understand the competitive element (to beat all those other English clubs) you're probably getting at, but when you look at the amount of national titles of Manchester United... why again priority no. 1?
The reason it could be is that if Man U were to win the league this season, they will have matched the tally that Liverpool have - and judging by their rivalry, it would make it all the sweeter. However, if Liverpool were to win the league, it would mean they would have won it 2 more times than Man U and as such, at least another two seasons before they can be matched by Man U. When you see it like that, it makes sense to have such a priority (for both teams).

Or it could be that they see the chance of winning the Champions League a much harder prospect. :D

As for tonight's game, well, I reckon that over the two legs, Man U will see off Arsenal and set up a repeat of last years final.

And as for Klinsman, does he still live in America? He had a lot of negative press - apparently, I don't know, I don't read much German press - for being the German head coach and living several thousand miles away. So, if he is, was that the (or one of the) reason(s) behind his sacking?

Albie said:
Or it could be that they see the chance of winning the Champions League a much harder prospect. :D

When they have already reached the semi-final? To win it, something like "win 1, lose 1, draw 1" is required. To win the league, from now, I think United will need 3-2-0 in the last 5. Against three sides that face relegation, one of the other "big 4" and their local rival.

I just gave it some thought yesterday. Although the average level of the teams in the Champions League is much higher than in the league, any of the 8-10 top teams only has to play three six of them to get into the final. There is a bigger element of chance involved in the Champions League (just as for any cup tournament), so winning the league is, in my opinion, a greater proof of quality. Or do anybody seriously believe that the 2005 version of Liverpool were the best team in Europe? Mind you, they were 5th in the league.

The discussion could carry on for a long time on this topic, but I'm just showing why I don't think Ferguson sees the CL as harder per se. I actually think he is equally determined on both tournaments. The league, for equaling Liverpool's 18 titles, and the CL for being the first manager to win the tournament back-to-back since it changed into its current form.

I must say I'm pleased with United's performance yesterday, especially the first 30 minutes. Arsenal didn't look like a top 4 Premiership side at all (except for a certain Mr Almunia, who was very good). Thanks to lackluster finishing, the return leg still has the potential of chilling the bones.

Eddies Wingman said:
To win the league, from now, I think United will need 3-2-0 in the last 5.
They need less than that. Liverpool can only get a maximum of 86 points. Man U are on 77 and therefore only need 10 points to win the league from 5 games. They can still afford to loose one of those games.

And Liverpool will not win all their games and will drop points. I reckon Liverpool will end up with something like 81 or 83 points - leaving Man U needing only 7 points from 5 games.

Well, Newcastle at home is usually a walk in the park for Liverpool. West Ham away could be tough for them, since the 'Ammers are still fighting for a European spot. But I think this season's Liverpool side has shown to be best against teams that have something to play for. Most of their fuck-ups have been against mid-table teams.

I am aware that United will win the league with 3-1-1 in the last 5. But until Liverpool have actually dropped more points, United have to keep on winning. I certainly don't want to see a final round where United travel to Hull and must win - Hull might very well be fighting for their existence in the Premiership.

Which brings us to another interesting thing about this year's Premiership run-in.

West Brom seem doomed. Two other teams will follow them down, and we might very well see two of the three North-Eastern teams going down ... Right now, Boro and Newcastle are in deep shit - if they both lose this weekend, I can't see both of them surviving. They face each other at St. James's Park the weekend after ...

If you ask me, I agree.

Update, May 3rd

Middlesbrough - Man United 0-2. Boro were not much of a threat, and United didn't need to work as hard for the points as has been the case in many games this spring. If Boro can't come up with any more than this, they are down. Their only possible consolation is that Newcastle can go down with them. I don't expect the Magpies to get anything from Anfield, except some goals against them, and then both Boro and Newcastle will be in deep shit. Especially if Sunderland and Hull can get something from their games against Everton and Aston Villa, respectively. Sunderland play at home and have a fair chance.

By the way, my spelling control doesn't fancy Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Everton or Anfield. It suggests corrections like Middleton, Wonderland, Everyone and Cornfield  :D

We are all too stunned by the match to say anything  :D No, really, that was great to watch. Messi and Henry were on fire, and the general tempo of the match was insane. One must say, Real Madrid paid the price for opening up their defense against the attacking force of Barcelona - and they showed very well why Chelsea were wise not to do so.

Half time at the Bridge and Chelsea are 1-0 up against Barcelona. Yet (according to the Beeb) Barca have had 63% possession. Jeez, when will teams get it into their heads that possession does not win games - it's only balls in the back of the net that end up on the score sheet. Possession and dominance is nothing if you can't score.

Perhaps that is a bit unfair against the Spaniards (especially after trouncing Real the other day), but if you have designs on this competition you need to see these (supposedly) weaker teams off. But hats of the Chelsea for keeping them at bay for what is now three lots of 45 minutes of football.

That was a hard way to loose. I was very impressed by The Blue Wall. I thought they were better than Barcelona. Chelsea constantly interupted Barcelona's rhythm, and who would expect that late goal? It was Barca's first serious shot at the goal! And two times hands in the penalty area, that was the most frustrating aspect of it. I hope United will trash their lucky opponent.

That was a godawful performance by Barcelona today at Stamford Bridge, I had nearly forgotten the Real Madrid game by the end. Chelsea did really well, too bad Iniesta got a touch to that ball in the box and landed it in the back of the net. Don't get me wrong, I love Barca, but that was a shoddy performance and they did not deserve to go through on that. Still, I look forward to the final, hopefully Barca are in better shape (even though they'll be missing some key players that got booked like Alves). And contrary to Forostar, I hope Messi shows that fucktard Cristiano Ronaldo his place.

That was a very disappointing match. I expected a much tighter and aggresive Barca and that just didn't happen. I have to say though, you have to admire and respect how Chelsea managed to counter all of Barca game throughout the match - They sure did their homework and they did a great job. I think that Barca's win was a fluke, however, I think they deserve to be in the final more than Chelsea - Not because of this game but for all the rest of the season. Barcelona is a better team (sorry Chelsea fans) and will a better match to Manchester in two weeks, a real Titans fight!

Natalie, may I switch the order of two of your sentences?

Natalie said:
Chelsea did really well

That's why:

Natalie said:
That was a godawful performance by Barcelona today at Stamford Bridge,

Now this:

pilau said:
That was a very disappointing match. I expected a much tighter and aggresive Barca and that just didn't happen.

Why do you think it didn't happen? Because they met a team with a real defense. ONE shot at the goal.

pilau said:
I think they deserve to be in the final more than Chelsea - Not because of this game but for all the rest of the
season.

Normally the best team of the semi's go through and not per se the best of the whole season.
But Barca fans won't agree with that of course.

pilau said:
Barcelona is a better team (sorry Chelsea fans) and will a better match to Manchester in two weeks, a real Titans fight!

I doubt if the match will be as exciting. Besides, Man U also has a better defense than Real, so don't expect such galleryplay soon again.

Back