Official Football Thread

Great game between Chelsea and Liverpool this evening, I honestly thought Liverpool would get that last goal before Lampard sealed it. What a mug Benitez is though for subbing Torres before their comeback.

Chelsea the Champions League?
Liverpool the Premier League?
Manchester United the FA cup?

Seems reasonable enough to me.  :D

Well all I can say is I'm glad Barca has made it through to the semi's, with flying colors. Admittedly Bayern played much better this time round, but it was just too sweet when Keita scored the equalizer. I was shocked about the Liverpool-Chelsea game, that was really exciting. Ultimately though, I think Chelsea deserved to go on. As for tomorrow, I'd like to see FC Porto get rid of ManU (as you all know, I hate them). And as for winners of the Champions League, I think it should be Barca, based on their first half game against Bayern last Wednesday alone really. Whatever happens, I hope ManU goes crashing down in flames.

national acrobat said:
I would prefer Barca, Liverpool and Everton.

I would prefer United, United, and United - but if i can only have one, give me the league any day. I would be happy with Barca winning the Champions League if United go out.

I was quite impressed by Porto. Strong and fast players. One of them is called "Hulk". :)

Givanildo Vieira de Souza, aka Hulk (born 25 July 1986 in Campina Grande), is a Brazilian football striker who currently plays for F.C. Porto in the Portuguese League.

As his apelido suggests, de Souza's strength and stocky build are considered his foremost attributes, along with speed, acceleration and a powerful shot. He received the name "Hulk" due to his resemblance to Hollywood actor Lou Ferrigno, who played the comic book hero.

Yes, they were impressive. However I think the Norwegian TV commentators were drooling a bit too much over this particular player. I mean, he played good, but he didn't reveal himself as a new Maradona ...

Tonight's game is going to be tough, very tough. Porto are a very strong home team. As someone has probably already mentioned, they have never lost to an English team at home. They have played Arsenal twice, United three times, Liverpool twice, Chelsea twice, Tottenham and Newcastle one each. Never lost a home game.

It's about time.

Eddies Wingman said:
It's about time.
They don't have to necessarily win, a 3-3 draw will also suffice.

Forostar said:
Chelsea the Champions League?
Liverpool the Premier League?
Manchester United the FA cup?

Seems reasonable enough to me.  :D
I have a feeling it will be Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal - and that seems a reasonable assumption to me as well. :D

But I really want Arsenal to end up trophy-less this season again and so Wenger leaves and a new guy takes over.

Albie said:
They don't have to necessarily win, a 3-3 draw will also suffice.

As I just mentioned in a Norwegian footy forum I participate in. Something like Chelsea vs Liverpool from yesterday would be a great way to go through - except from the fact my heart would probably not endure it. I am completely fine with a very dull 1-0 win  :D

Albie said:
And I also think that the only team that can stop a second consecutive all Premiership final - is Barcelona.
How brilliant a soothsayer am I? :D

OK, for the final I think that Chelsea will pip Barcelona and, well, Man U know how to beat Arsenal and it won't surprise me if they get past the Gunners - but Arsenal have been slowly picking up some form of late, so it could be them. Sticking my neck out here - a repeat of last years final.

Considering the injury problems of Arsenal, I guess United are favourites for one of the spots in the final. However, Arsenal will probably be able to focus fully on the CL, whereas United have to take the league into consideration. Arsenal have no chance to win the league, but seem to secure 4th comfortably. United will be in a tight run-in with Liverpool for the league title. I just hope tonight's win over Villarreal gives Arsenal the confidence to go to Anfield and KICK ASS.

I think Chelsea will get Barca, although I hope for the opposite. A final between United and Barca feels right  :D However, Hiddink is a sly fox. He knows what is needed to stop the magic of Messi, Eto'o etc.

Over the next 4 weeks, Arsenal have to play Liverpool once, Chelsea twice and Man U three times. Tough job for any team.

... and, if they advance in the FA cup, they might be playing United a 4th time ... this spring could be a real showdown between the two old rivals, Ferguson and Wenger. I think they are both looking forward to it.

Thanks. And as a United supporter, I disagree that the match was not nice to watch. After the defending we've seen lately (Inter and Porto in the CL, Liverpool and Aston Villa in the league) it felt good to see the team defending well again. But I will be the first to admit that to a neutral viewer, it must have been a quite dull affair.

I don't think Arsenal vs Man United is going to be dull. There is a lot of prestige at stake, but at the same time I think neither manager really fears a defeat. If United were playing Liverpool, it would be different - then the fear of losing might overcome the desire to attack, letting the arch rival into the final would be very painful for either team. I think United vs Arsenal will be a lot more open.

I did notice the solid defending. Hulk was nowhere to be seen!  :D
Van der Sar made a few shaky moves but also some good saves!

The other semi is going to be some match! I wonder which one our channel will select to broadcast! I guess Man U - Arsenal since there's more Dutch input. But I am at least as interested in the other one.

Oh my God that goal was a stunner!! Worthy to win any match. It was great to see United look solid at the back again. Porto must have thought they were playing a different side to the one at Old Trafford. I just hope this now galvanises United to go on and win the lot. Tall order I know but I remember Ryan Giggs saying in 1999 that the constant adrenalin of fighting Arsenal for the league, the semi final of the FA Cup against Arsenal (including replay), the semifinal legs against Juve in the CL just kept them going and made them up for every match.

Can United now go on and win an historic quintuple - tough but I think they can. Go on boys!!

Eddies Wingman said:
However, Hiddink is a sly fox. He knows what is needed to stop the magic of Messi, Eto'o etc.

Just how would you stop Messi though, especially without your first choice left-back? Definitely a big test for Hiddink's tactics, but I have to agree he is a wily old fox so he may find a way.

Stunning goal by Ronaldo last night.

Back