Official Football Thread

Yesterday was a whole different story from El Clasico on Saturday, of course. Chelsea were a bit more patient than Real Madrid, and thus defended much better. In addition to that, they scored on their first real chance (nice shot, by the way).

If we try to see both matches as one, I don't think one team deserved to go through more than the other. The ref was harsh on Chelsea yesterday, but last week the ref at Camp Nou was kind on them (Ballack could've been sent off, Henry should've had a penalty). And despite Chelsea's good defending, Barcelona did create some good chances. Not many, but some. Yesterday Chelsea had more opportunities, they were more willing to attack whenever they won the ball, and they were unlucky with some reffing decisions (particularly the handball from Pique, in my opinion. Most of the other penalty appeals were weak cases anyway).

Speaking of the ref, he has got a lot of stick home in Norway as well. Viasat4, the TV station which shows the Champions League in Norway, were criticizing him a lot. There have been threats towards him on discussion boards for Norwegian Chelsea fans (including someone spreading his home address and phone number). OK, he had some decisions that probably were wrong, but when Sky start talking about conspiracies against a new all-English final and the Chelsea players rant about corruption, things are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?

Anyway, the more positive of the two teams went through to the final. Let's hope it will be a classic one. I'm really looking forward to it.

Eddies Wingman said:
Schmechel, on the other hand, is the greatest goalkeeper English football has seen.  :D
Let me think - Peter Shilton, Ray Clemence, Gordon Banks and even old Alex Stepney could lay claim to that accolade. ;)

pilau said:
I think that Barca's win was a fluke, however, I think they deserve to be in the final more than Chelsea - Not because of this game but for all the rest of the season.
I have to completely disagree with that. When it gets to the knock-out stages, the only team that deserves to progress is the team that wins that particular tie. What they did prior to that game(s) is totally irrelevant. Had that last minute goal not have been scored by Barca, then Chelsea will have deserved it.
Eddies Wingman said:
OK, he had some decisions that probably were wrong, but when Sky start talking about conspiracies against a new all-English final and the Chelsea players rant about corruption, things are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?
There was definitely no conspiracy, but Barcelona in the final really does suit UEFA so much better than a repeat of last years final. And that is why we get conspiracies.

Eddies Wingman said:
Never heard of the fella. Schmechel, on the other hand, is the greatest goalkeeper English football has seen.  :D

I like Van der Sar's record better. OK, Schmeichel won with Denmark in 1992, but as a club goalie Van der Sar is hard to beat (that is: if he will win both the Premier League and the Champions League).

Of course I'm trying to overstate things a little. There have been many great goalies in the Football League. I still think Schmeichel is a good candidate for the "greatest" label. And even though I admire Edwin and am very pleased with what he has done at United, he is nowhere near Schmeichel. The Great Dane was the best keeper in the league from he arrived until he left Old Trafford, and he's not to blame for United not winning the Champions League more than once during his years.

But please, don't take this as a devaluation of Edwin van der Sar. But ask any United supporter and he would say the same as me.

Foro, young Ben Foster has the potential to fill the boots of Mr Van de Sar. Whether or not he will still be at Man U when the Dutchman retires, is a different matter.

Did Foster play all the matches when Van der Sar did not play? Or did the other sub play as well?
I bet Ferguson will buy some Italian, Spanish or Brazilian goalkeeper when Van der Sar quits.

Forostar said:
Ah well, when he's gone, I bet some fans will miss him more than they realize now.

:wtf:

Of course he will be missed. He is the first steady top class goalkeeper we've had since Schmeichel. I assume you saw Taibi, Bosnich and Barthez play for United. But that doesn't make him greater than The Great Dane.

Forostar said:
Did Foster play all the matches when Van der Sar did not play? Or did the other sub play as well?
Both. According to the Beeb, Kuszczak played in 7 and Foster played 9. Van der Sar played the rest - 45.

I don't want to speculate what Ferguson may or may not do to replace Van der Sar, but it could be Foster as Fergie does rate him and Foster has suggested he is willing to stay at the club.

Would that be a novity (or a rarity) for Man United?
That the second goalie of their own ranks would follow up the number one?

All the goalkeepers that have had a period as first choice during Ferguson's years have been bought from other clubs - so if Foster establishes himself as Edwin's replacement, he will be the first under Ferguson to do so. Most other number two goalkeepers have been sold to other clubs - one exception is Raimond van der Gouw who for some time stayed as United's goalkeeper coach.

I just hope that if Foster doesn't deliver once he takes over, Ferguson doesn't hesitate to bring in a top class keeper. Had he got Edwin when he left Juventus, we wouldn't have had to suffer the multiple heart attacks etc. with Barthez  :innocent:

Hopefully Ben Foster will fulfill his potential and Ferguson gives him enough opportunity, not on loan or in the League Cup but in (high-profile) Premier League games. Unfortunately England haven't had a top quality goalie since David Seaman, and that position is by far the worst in the current team and squad.

It's a real shame about the state of English goalies at the moment. Right up to and including Shilton, the England's number 1 was normally one of (if not the) the world's best. Chris Woods was OK, Tim Flowers showed promise and Seaman was quality. But after that.....?

And has Redknapp gone too far with his drinking ban?

Redknapp plans Spurs alcohol ban
Just read something quite interesting. If I was to ask you the three most watched leagues in Europe (in terms of attendances), you would probably have a good guess at The Premiership, the Bundesliga and La Liga. And you'd be right.

But if I was to ask what you thought the fourth was - you may say the Serie A or perhaps the French top tier Ligue 1. But you'd be wrong. It's the Championship - amazingly, the second tier in English football gets more crowds than Serie A, Ligue 1, etc.

Source

"England United the World Invited" so the slogan goes for England's campaign to host the FIFA World Cup in either 2018 or 2022. I really hope that England get to host the competition. We have great stadia, passionate fans (the attendnaces in The Championship corroborate that) and England is the home of football after all. I just hope Michel Platini and Sepp Blatter don't have it all their own way as they both seem biased against England and The Premiership in particular.

To imagine the world's greatest living players gracing the turf at Wembley, at Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park etc has me salivating already and we havent even been awarded the event yet!!

And how about Maiden playing the Opening Ceremony?! Steve decked out in his beloved West Ham kit? Nah it'll never happen

I'd really like to see England hosting the World Cup again. Since they did it, all the other big football nations except Brazil and Holland have hosted it. Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, France, Mexico. (I don't consider Russia a big nation in football because most of their success happened when they were the Soviet Union). Since Brazil is going to host the 2014 World Cup, it's time for one of the big European nations again in 2018.

If Liverpool finish their new stadium, there will be a shitload of 50 000 + stadiums; Wembley, Old Trafford, Emirates, St. James's Park, new Liverpool stadium, and if you want to let Wales in on the fun you have the Milennium Stadium as well. Facilities is definitely not a problem.

I will probably go to England to catch a couple of games if that happens.

By the way, BITV, congratulations on number 18 and a big  :cheers: from a fellow Red Devil  :D

Last FIFA ranking, 6 May (Netherlands almost 2nd!):

1  Spain              1729   
2  Germany          1362   
3  Netherlands      1360   
4  Brazil               1281   
5  Italy                1271   
6  Argentina         1195   
7  England            1173   
8  Croatia             1151   
9  Russia              1117   
10  France            1074 
11  Portugal          1013