Official Football Thread

Edwin and the defense have been outstanding for some time now. May it long continue.

PS:

Fuck moving games. As you know, I see my local club Fredrikstad FK play whenever I have the chance (that is, whenever I am in Fredrikstad on holidays). I am going home for Easter, and on Monday, April 13th they were scheduled to play at home against the defending league champions. I wanted to attend the game and booked a flight back to Trondheim on Tuesday morning. Now I realize that the game will be played on Tuesday instead  :mad: Changing my flight will cost me loads extra plus it will mean an additional workday lost. (For your information, the Mionday following Easter Day is also an official holiday, so staying until Tuesday morning would mean only a couple of hours would be lost).

Now I think I'm going to stick with the flight I already have booked, and watch the game on TV instead  :(

another Benitez rant........I heard today that he sold Keane because he was underperforming.That must mean that most of his second string squad will soon be following!

For a few seconds, I thought "What has this got to do with John Terr........oh, I see"

Forostar said:
He must deny West Ham for 75 minutes next Sunday
Which he did, however....

Forostar said:
to beat the British record of 1,196 minutes without conceding a goal, held by Rangers’ Chris Woods.
That record was 1,196 minutes without conceeding in all competitions. The longest stretch before today in a British league was by Aberdeen 'keeper Bobby Clark, during the 1970-71 season.

Source.
1711: There has been a bit of confusion over Edwin van der Sar's record. The run by Chris Woods at Rangers - 1,196 minutes during the 1986-87 season - included all competitions and Van der Sar did actually concede during the Fifa Club World Cup. So as things stood at half-time, by our reckoning Van der Sar had gone 1,167 minutes without conceding in the league, but in all competitions he is "only" 855 minutes without being beaten.

1637: Edwin van der Sar and his Man Utd defence have just set a new British record for the longest time without conceding in a league match, beating Aberdeen (goalkeeper Bobby Clark) during the 1970-71 season. United have now gone 1,156 minutes since conceding in the Premier League.

Albie said:
Which he did, however....

... and which was needed. Attackingwise, United have not been impressive lately. Good, but not impressive. But as far as the points keep coming, three at a time, I'm happy.

I also notice that Chelsea don't seem to be the biggest threat to United's title ambitions this season, that would be Liverpool (which means more adrenaline and more nail-biting). Can Aston Villa get into it as well? I am convinced they will at least finish top 4 now. Arsenal have lost it. They were rubbish against Spurs today, even before Eboue was sent off. They were lucky to get a draw ...

So, Scolari gets the boot - and for what, leading Chelsea into an atrocious position of 4th with 1/3 of the season still to go. OK, if Man U get three points against Fulham next week it would leave Chelsea ten points behind and a mountain to climb to win the league - but they are still in the two major cups (FA and Champions League).

I really don't think they gave him enough time and it leads it open to suggestion that there is something else going on (I seem to recall Lampard and Terry being a little bemused at the start of the season as to how little training they did). But Grant did not do too bad either.

Thing is, I don't care much for Chelsea but if they can sack someone like that (as well as Grant) and neither have really been that poor (Chelsea away record is still better than just about anyone's), what hope is there for other up and coming managers?

But then again, Eriksson got the boot from Man City for less.

Big chance Hiddink will be the man for Chelsea.

By the way, check out this nutty supporter, calling Van Basten a pancake, complaining that Ajax won't be champions this season.  :)

Click

Forostar said:
Big chance Hiddink will be the man for Chelsea.
Big chance? It seems almost certain (if it is not already the case) that he will take over - on a part-time basis!

Almost certain is still a chance.  :p

Thus beware Manchester United & Liverpool fans. The end is near, Hiddink is here.

:D

Forostar said:
Thus beware Manchester United & Liverpool fans. The end is near, Hiddink is here.
Man U need only beware when Fergie steps down. Whatever you say about Ferguson, he is (and has been) the best Premiership manager and has this knack of getting right under the skin of rival managers.

Since we're talking about managers, can someone tell me exactly what they do for a football team?

Not exactly, because his role might be different in different countries.

But here a global overview, which might be very logical to you, also comparing to other sports:

A Manager (also called coach or trainer)...

...has a strong voice (if not the strongest) in the acquisiton of new players
...has the last word when it comes to tactics
...has the last word when it comes to decide which 11 players start the match
...decides changes of tactics and players during the match
...has a psychological factor, and is often replaced when that doesn't match the squad's performance anymore

Back